Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airhawk R

Spyder Garage

Default Airhawk R

Any feedback on the Airhawk R for Spyders! Please notate if you have the stock 2014 seat.
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Default Search for threads on this matter...

... There are a lot of threads asking about the air hawk, and some have loved it and some have not had such luck. I have a 2014 RT-S SM6 with a stock seat and use the air hawk R. It gives me a little more comfort but I'm on the fence on whether or not I am in love with it. I really think the human body determines whether or not you can be comfortable for long trips... Meaning the bones, muscles, nerves, posture, etc play a part and its different in everyone. I get sore and uncomfortable after 1.5-hours on my spyder, but also after 3 hours in a car. So I have to stop and walk around, stretch, or simply stand up for about 5-10 minutes to recharge the butt. Luckily, there is usually a gas station to fill up and get an energy drink or coffee to help on a long ride. My longest ride so far with this setup has been 6 hours... And I honestly could only go maybe 2 to 3 more hours.

Maybe I do need to ride more often on long trips to develop an iron butt, but I just think my body is not completely built for long rides.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

2015 RTL with stock seat, I use the Airhawk "R" all the time, Love it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Airhawk: They are good. They work. The R will fit on any seat in the line up.

I do not use the straps. Just plop it on the seat and sit. When I park, I frunk it or trunk it.

Air pressure is critical. You sit IN it and not ON it. Less is better. It may take a few rides to get it where you like it best--but once the sweet spot is found, it is a welcome addition to your seating comfort.

I think they owe me some money for my endorsement?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2013 RT LTD, stock seat . . . I love my Air Hawk R. It took a couple days of getting used to and playing with the inflation levels (less is more!) but once I got it where I wanted it, it made all the difference. I can ride all day . . . did 5390 miles in 15 days of riding, over 19 days, this Spring . . . I'll never be without an Air Hawk R, again.

UPDATE on 19 Sept. On the 17th, I rode for 11 hours, 15 minutes, 601 miles - I was comfortable the whole day!
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 09-19-2015 at 08:20 PM.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    2013 RT LTD, stock seat . . . I love my Air Hawk R. It took a couple days of getting used to and playing with the inflation levels (less is more!) but once I got it where I wanted it, it made all the difference. I can ride all day . . . did 5390 miles in 15 days of riding, over 19 days, this Spring . . . I'll never be without an Air Hawk R, again.
    Best bang for the buck. Really makes a difference.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default $160.00

I bought one to see if it would help with my left thigh nerve issue.
    I have had it 1 week, used it one time, adjusted the air some, but I still have nerve pain.
    I plan on returning it, as it has a 60 day try it policy.
    PM me with a phone number if you want to talk.

Bill Pitman

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quick question. How long did it take to get used to the feeling that you were going to slide off, or is that a symptom of having too much air? Very comfortable but I had to slow down a good bit in turns because of that feeling.

Spyder Garage

I've not bought one yet but my father has one that I will be testing. Less is more it seems when coming to these things. Most of the details that I have read state that if you have too much air then it makes you feel like you're going to slide off the bike. Have you tried taking out any of the air?

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    Quick question. How long did it take to get used to the feeling that you were going to slide off, or is that a symptom of having too much air? Very comfortable but I had to slow down a good bit in turns because of that feeling.
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    May be a little bit to much air. Never had the feeling that I was going to slide off. I guess my weight on the semi-sticky pad was enough to save my A$$.

Never used the holding straps.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fully agree...

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Airhawk: They are good. They work. The R will fit on any seat in the line up.

I do not use the straps. Just plop it on the seat and sit. When I park, I frunk it or trunk it.

Air pressure is critical. You sit IN it and not ON it. Less is better. It may take a few rides to get it where you like it best--but once the sweet spot is found, it is a welcome addition to your seating comfort.

I think they owe me some money for my endorsement?
    All very well said. Have stock 2014 with Air Hawk. Love it. No straps here either - does not take much air. A little air goes a long way.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

less is more
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recently purchased a Airhawk R for myself and the vendor I purchased it from told me that the Airhawk company has recently been sold and the are discontinuing the "R"...Just repeating what they told me...larryd

Spyder Garage

I like to take a stretch/drink break every hour and a half anyway, so I'd have a hard time justifying the cost. Taking breaks will keep ya hydrated, stretched, and alert. Now it's a different story if you can't tolerate an hour ride....then, ya might need a little extra under the bumm.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT Limited, when I bought mine, I had the unfortunate experience of having a fissure. So sitting was quite problematic. I had just made a large purchase and couldn't even ride it home (my wife had to do the honors), she has her own Spyder! So after a week or so of sitting in the garage, I ordered an Airhawk R. Made a world of difference. I could actually ride the 38 miles to work without to much pain. Eventually, (like 6 weeks) the fissure healed, but I still use my Airhawk R. On long rides, I have to take a break about 1 and half hours anyways. I recommend Airhawk R to anyone prior to changing seats.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT Ltd with standard seat. I love my Airhawk, but it took a while. I'd add a tad of air, delete a tad of air, move it forward a tad, and move it backwards a tad. After tweak after tweak I leave it alone and just enjoy my ride day after day. I think the secrete is tweak, leave it along for a few days, and then keep tweaking if you need to. Stop tweaking when you are there. For me it was with the least amount of air to keep me just off the seat and it ended up being more forward than I would have ever initially guessed.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    Any feedback on the Airhawk R for Spyders! Please notate if you have the stock 2014 seat.

Spyder Garage

This thead made me go to Amazon and search for Airhawk. Looks interesting, but a bit pricey. The R is the most expensive. Which one is best for the stock seat on the

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Hawk R

I did 6 hours yesterday on my 2014 RTS with the BRP comfort (+2") seat and my new Air Hawk R...Liked it VERY much...Rate it a A+...

Getting the air set just right is the secret...When riding in the direct sun light it got a little bubbly but then in the shade it was just right again...It definitely changes with the temperature...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    This thead made me go to Amazon and search for Airhawk. Looks interesting, but a bit pricey. The R is the most expensive. Which one is best for the stock seat on the

Pam
    I use the medium cruiser model. Bought mine before there was an Airhawk R

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I use the medium cruiser model. Bought mine before there was an Airhawk R
    That's good, cuz it's $100 cheaper than the R.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Here's a great deal on an Airhawk R that I found on Ebay

Attached Images Attached Images

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Price seems high....

Spyder Garage

I bought the Airhawk 2 just a couple of weeks ago. Paid &77.00 with Amazon Prime. I haven't ridden with it much yet, but I believe it to be an improvement with the stock 2011 seat.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    I bought the Airhawk 2 just a couple of weeks ago. Paid &77.00 with Amazon Prime. I haven't ridden with it much yet, but I believe it to be an improvement with the stock 2011 seat.
    The Airhawk R is $180 on Amazon.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard