Thread: Head Lights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Head Lights

O.K. both head lights burnt out this morning. are the bulbs just a standard H-7 or ma I mistaken jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Hi jtpollock,

Re: O.K. both head lights burnt out this morning.

With the other problems you have been having, that gives me a 'Hmmmm' moment.

I think it is a rare occurence that both would go out at the same time unless something caused it.

Hmmmmm,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi jtpollock,

Re: O.K. both head lights burnt out this morning.

With the other problems you have been having, that gives me a 'Hmmmm' moment.

I think it is a rare occurence that both would go out at the same time unless something caused it.

Hmmmmm,

Jerry Baumchen
    Many issues posted. See previous posts.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-13-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi JT,
    this certainly has been a rough patch of road for you and your Spyder...
    I think that Jerry's right; this could be another result of whatever the basic problem is with your bike...
    Having them both pop at the same time isn't impossible; but it's pretty darn unlikely!
    I'll go see if I can find out what sort of bulb you should be using; but I wouldn't want to see you put them in, until the bike's Gremlins have been excised!

EDIT: The Manual just says, "2 x 55 watts"...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-02-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..!!

hey are H7 bulbs and you have a large selection at auto stores. But as mentioned above check things first cause its rare they would both go out at the same time. Check fuses and relays and so on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    hey are H7 bulbs and you have a large selection at auto stores. But as mentioned above check things first cause its rare they would both go out at the same time. Check fuses and relays and so on...

Thanks all I will check the relay I did replace both head light at the same time around 20,000 miles back around a year and a half it was a ruff job but I think I can do it again.
    To for all your help jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well I got home last night after work took everything off the dash pulled the head lights nad yess both were burnt out
    the left one was melted.

I can't tell if there is any problem with the wires because I can't see that well inside and the wires are very short.

I will not be able to get into the dealer untail Tuesday I will have them check the fuse and everything else
    then reinstall the bulbs and most likely a new fuse, the standers is we have to wait for parts.

If they can't fix it in a reasonal amount of time I will not be going to Deadwoow for the 3 wheel rally
    July 16th to the 19.

Well thats all for know it's familey time.

If anyone else out there has had a headlight bulb melt please let me know .jtpollock

Spyder Garage

You must have the patience of a saint. I would have booted that darn Spyder into touch a long while ago.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    You must have the patience of a saint. I would have booted that darn Spyder into touch a long while ago.

Well if this give you any idea I have been maried to the same woman for 43 years I just don't give up when I fine somthing that generaly makes
    me happy and my Spyder has done that except these past few mounths.

The left headlight wire connector is melted not sure what that will cost to fix and in good conchase I can't sell the thing and leave someone else
    with my problem.

I had an 84 bornco for 8 mounths I may have driven it 3 weeks that whole time, ford took it back and resold it without it being fixed I still think about that
    my upbringing tought me to make the best of my life and make things wokout the best I can.

If they can fix what ever the problem was or is and it will run like it did I lookikg for another miminum of 50,000 miles maybe more I put 78,000 miles
    on my Honda Shadow with little more than oil and tires thats what I expected from the Spyder. jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I truly DO admire your outlook on Life...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    Well if this give you any idea I have been maried to the same woman for 43 years I just don't give up when I fine somthing that generaly makes
    me happy and my Spyder has done that except these past few mounths.

The left headlight wire connector is melted not sure what that will cost to fix and in good conchase I can't sell the thing and leave someone else
    with my problem.

I had an 84 bornco for 8 mounths I may have driven it 3 weeks that whole time, ford took it back and resold it without it being fixed I still think about that
    my upbringing tought me to make the best of my life and make things wokout the best I can.

If they can fix what ever the problem was or is and it will run like it did I lookikg for another miminum of 50,000 miles maybe more I put 78,000 miles
    on my Honda Shadow with little more than oil and tires thats what I expected from the Spyder. jtpollock

I take my hat off to you. I'm a man of little patience. Have got you beat on the marriage thing though, 50 years 2 weeks ago!
    Last year I bought a used 2004 Honda Shadow (Aero VT750) with 20K miles on it so that when my brother comes from England next week we can go on a 7 day road trip together. I have done absolutely nothing to it as there is nothing to do. It runs beautifully & returns 70mpg (Canadian gallons)

That headlight business is very fishy. Would take a large amp surge to burn/melt the wires.
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Sounds like voltage regulator/rectifier and that's probably cause of the rest of your electrical issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CatsJ35 View Post
    Sounds like voltage regulator/rectifier and that's probably cause of the rest of your electrical issues.
    After reading your other post about the Spyder shutting down, it all looks related. Hope you get it fixed!

Spyder Garage

Well Old goat I got you beat Been married 63 years!! But my head light went out also and if I understand it it is an H7? A 2010 RSS. Thanks for the input you can give.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Well Old goat I got you beat Been married 63 years!! But my head light went out also and if I understand it it is an H7? A 2010 RSS. Thanks for the input you can give.
    Wow. I will never get to that. Well done. The young'uns these days barely last a few years.

One bulb went out or both of them?
    If only one then more than likely a bulb worn out, If both went out I would check your fuses & relays.

Never had to pull a headlamp bulb but I hear it is a pain.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 07-07-2015 at 08:11 AM.
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Only one so I think its a bulb only. From above posts I guess its a H7.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well Spent the whole day at the dealer not good news.

The left headlight housing at the point the headlight inserts melted when the light melted so that part melted to be ordered and the voltage regulator/rectifier needs to be replaced.

It started out looking like the mechanic was only going to replace the relay and reinstall the bulbs but after 2 hrs I checked in on my Spyder
    he had the dash pulled apart and the front pulled off I knew it was not going to be good.

Got a call at home an hour after I left the dealer with the bad news.
    Now it's just up to how soon they can get the parts and get me back on the road??? more news later I'm not a religious man but I will be to the Motorcycle Gods [for a little help. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Your reg/rec receives AC from the generator (stator) on your bike and coverts it into DC and clips the DC waveform to make the voltage the appropriate level. Usually about 14 to 14.5 VDC at highway speeds. The voltage is somewhat higher than static battery voltage in order to maintain a positive charge. If the reg/rec goes bad, it will typically crank out either very little voltage or way too much. If you had installed a voltmeter you could have seen the voltage going up and outside its normal operating range. I would install one with the new reg/rec and get my battery load tested as it may have been impacted negatively with the excessive voltage that melted your light socket.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Your reg/rec receives AC from the generator (stator) on your bike and coverts it into DC and clips the DC waveform to make the voltage the appropriate level. Usually about 14 to 14.5 VDC at highway speeds. The voltage is somewhat higher than static battery voltage in order to maintain a positive charge. If the reg/rec goes bad, it will typically crank out either very little voltage or way too much. If you had installed a voltmeter you could have seen the voltage going up and outside its normal operating range. I would install one with the new reg/rec and get my battery load tested as it may have been impacted negatively with the excessive voltage that melted your light socket.

there is not a lot of places to install much on the RS. Even if I had installed a voltmeter it would not ha stopped this from happening would it, just would have let me know that something was going wrong
    I'm not very good with electricity. the only extra electrical items I have installed are trickled fender lights and my trailer wiring and I got a little help with that.. Thanks for the input if I can find a space maybe the dealer could install it. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

there is not a lot of places to install much on the RS. Even if I had installed a voltmeter it would not ha stopped this from happening would it, just would have let me know that something was going wrong
    I'm not very good with electricity. the only extra electrical items I have installed are trickled fender lights and my trailer wiring and I got a little help with that.. Thanks for the input if I can find a space maybe the dealer could install it. jtpollock
    Actually, KuryAkn makes a meter that you can stick on using 2 sided tape (supplied) most anywhere is and is pretty small. It has two wires; one you run to the battery and the other to a ground; that is, any bolt on the frame. You would have seen the meter peak and show LEDS OVER the green which is the good zone. You should have quit riding at that point and parked the bike and perhaps even had the regulator/rectifier checked. Not sure where your battery is located but if you put a multimeter, set to a low value VDC scale connected to the positive and negative battery terminals and started the bike you would have seen voltage way over the 14 VDC or less than is expected and KNOWN FOR SURE your regulator rectifier was not working properly. In fact, just observing too-high voltages on the KuryAkn meter should have parked the bike and gotten it to service.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...FQiEaQodMzcIqw
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Actually, KuryAkn makes a meter that you can stick on using 2 sided tape (supplied) most anywhere is and is pretty small. It has two wires; one you run to the battery and the other to a ground; that is, any bolt on the frame. You would have seen the meter peak and show LEDS OVER the green which is the good zone. You should have quit riding at that point and parked the bike and perhaps even had the regulator/rectifier checked. Not sure where your battery is located but if you put a multimeter, set to a low value VDC scale connected to the positive and negative battery terminals and started the bike you would have seen voltage way over the 14 VDC or less than is expected and KNOWN FOR SURE your regulator rectifier was not working properly. In fact, just observing too-high voltages on the KuryAkn meter should have parked the bike and gotten it to service.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...FQiEaQodMzcIqw

Very cool I can even do that I will get me one if I get my Spyder back thanks... jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Very cool I can even do that I will get me one if I get my Spyder back thanks... jtpollock
    Since you've had all that trouble, I've got a kuryakyn meter that I don't use anymore, and you can have it (no charge). It is set up with a powerlet plug at the end, and it's also set up with a ram ball mount.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Since you've had all that trouble, I've got a kuryakyn meter that I don't use anymore, and you can have it (no charge). It is set up with a powerlet plug at the end, and it's also set up with a ram ball mount.

sent PM... jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Things are looking UP

To all that have replied thanks for your input... Got my Spyder back late Saturday and did a test ride on Sunday all looks good except my Spyder savings account it's empty now... Rode into work nice 40 mile this morning no worries it's nice to be back on the road it will take a few more days to get my confidence back
    but we leave for Deadwood on Thursday morning I'm so ready for a road trip...

Once again THANKS to all ride safe enjoy the Summer . jtpollock