Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default LED HEADLIGHTS & FOG LIGHTS

OK, I just received LED lights to replace the headlight bulbs on my 14 RTL. This is the first time I have attempted this type of work on the Spyder, and could use any advice from those who have replaced their bulbs. I have looked at the YouTube video on removing the body parts to access the bulbs numerous times, but would like to hear from anyone who accomplished the bulbs replacement and can offer advice not seen in the video. I can't wait till there are Can Am certified technicians who open up their own businesses in the Tampa Bay area.

Spyder Garage

i thought it was a lot of work when i did it. you need to remove the mirrors, than you need to remove the two side covers that say can am in chrome, than you need to remove the cover around the headlights. there are 4 bolts for each headlamp housing, also in each side cover you removed there is a brass knurled adjuster with a brass nut on each side, remove the nut and push the cable out of the hole. once that is done you will be able to pull the headlight housing out. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP IT, it is very expensive. once the headlamp is out, you remove the back cover of the bulb holder, unplug the bulb and give it a half twist to remove it. once the old bulb is out, install the new LED bulb and here is where it is a lil tricky, you need to fan out the heat sinks on the LED bulb and fit all the components of the bulb assembly into the space that is there, once you get it all to fit, you replace the back cover and reinstall the whole assembly back into the bike. DON'T GET FRUSTRATED, take your time and i would suggest you take the headlamps into the house and work on them when you can sit and be comfortable. GOOD LUCK a lil time and patience will get the job done.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cuznjohn AND PMK,.
    I am truly grateful for the detailed advice. I will take my time and mark every bolt, washer and grommets that I remove. I'll also take pictures with my smartphone to use as backup.
    My only question is "How do I properly fan out the LED strands in the bulb housing? What is the best tool to fan out the LED strands?
    I will stop at a local Can Am dealer to buy the plastic rivits and mirror mounts. Thanks, Dennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den2614 View Post
    Cuznjohn AND PMK,.
    I am truly grateful for the detailed advice. I will take my time and mark every bolt, washer and grommets that I remove. I'll also take pictures with my smartphone to use as backup.
    My only question is "How do I properly fan out the LED strands in the bulb housing? What is the best tool to fan out the LED strands?
    I will stop at a local Can Am dealer to buy the plastic rivits and mirror mounts. Thanks, Dennis
    what type of bulb did toy get. if it is from xenon depot just look at the small diagram to see how to fan them out, no tools required to do that
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Be careful when reassembling the headlights. You're cramming a lot of stuff inside the bulb cover. The shade mechanism is in the same housing. After you get the back headlight cover, try the dim/bright switch a few times to be sure it works.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 07-02-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here is a great DIY written by a spyderlovers forum member:

http://www.xenondepot.com/spyder-led...eview-s/51.htm

Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XenonDepot View Post

Steve
    i installed the headlight kit in my 14 rt. i love the LED"S but in the pictures i do not see where the ballast, small black box, that comes with the kit is installed, can you tell me what picture shows this black box and where is it. i managed to get it in at the top of the bulb so i can close the back of the cover,,, thanks
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Third pic down. Its near the bottom of the housing in that pic. Hard to see but you can easily see the cable from the lamp going down to it. Its inside the housing with the black rear cap in place. Just be careful to keep the shutter mechanism free.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

A couple of tricks I use when removing panels and such... a piece of coragated cardboard works well to hold bolts and pins. Just draw a map of the Sypder on the cardboard and cut an X in the corresponding location of the pin or screw. When you take it out of the Spyder simply push it onto the cardboard in it's place on the map.

The other trick is for the rubber grommets for the lower access panels. I put wire ties around them and the frame they are in to hold them in place (I don't recall having to drill any holes to do it.) That way if one should happen to push through, I don't have to go hunting for it. Simply grab ahold of it, clip the wire tie and put the grommet back in and put in a new tie.
    Last edited by jwulf74; 07-07-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default H8 or H11 ?

Quote Originally Posted by XenonDepot View Post

Steve
    Hello Steve,

Would you confirm, please, what is correct part for 2013 RT Limited (SE5) to use for Fog Lights? Review above says they used H11 but xenondepot site, search by vehicle, says use H8. Are they the same?

thanks