Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Brake Pad Life

We are doing a 9,000 mile inspection on my brothers 2014 RT-S. What have you all been getting for brake life? His seem real close to thin and we have a 5,000 mile trip this month. Thanks for any info.

NOW
    2014 RT-S Circuit Yellow
    THEN
    2001 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
    and again
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad 1600

I loved the feeling of the wind in my hair,
    Just
    Wish I had hair to remind me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kawboy View Post
    We are doing a 9,000 mile inspection on my brothers 2014 RT-S. What have you all been getting for brake life? His seem real close to thin and we have a 5,000 mile trip this month. Thanks for any info.
    On the same Spyder, I'm doing the rear brakes every 10K miles and fronts every 15K.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR PADS

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    On the same Spyder, I'm doing the rear brakes every 10K miles and fronts every 15K.
    ....10,000 miles ???......I'm curious, have you seen the used pads after they have been re-moved ???.........How much material is left.....Mike

Spyder Garage

I was told that there was likely a few thousand more miles, but not the 5K until I next came in for service. I didn't check the pads, but I do trust my guy. I should have clarified that in my initial post, but was thinking about my schedule rather than actual wear. Thanks for the catch.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default brake pads

OMG Checked the fluids the other day--added a little water ,oil at the top, but the brake reservoirs were down so I had a peek at the brakes and from the outside they look like the pads are mighty thin (34000 kms). Ordered a set from the dealer @ $200.00Canadian.
    Lotsa highway miles-across Canada and back- so I hope I caught them in time.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

We had a 2010 RT SM5 before the 2014 RT SE6 we got in February. Few, if anyone will believe this, but the pads were still good, front and REAR at 57,000 miles.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I just got my '15RT and have only about 900miles on it but put 30k on my 11RS and still had original brake pads on it,does the RT go though pads faster then the RS? I know it is heaver then the RS but aren't they bigger?
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Default brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by rbob View Post
    OMG Checked the fluids the other day--added a little water ,oil at the top, but the brake reservoirs were down so I had a peek at the brakes and from the outside they look like the pads are mighty thin (34000 kms). Ordered a set from the dealer @ $200.00Canadian.
    Lotsa highway miles-across Canada and back- so I hope I caught them in time.
    Bob

Picked up the front pads-took a front brake assembly off and discovered that I still have just a bit less than half of the pad thickness left.
    So I put it back together and intend to change them out when I replace the front tires in 10,000 km or so.
    The rear tire is due for replacement so I will change the rear pads out because they are a lot more complicated to take apart and I'm sure the current pads won't last the life of the new car tire.

Spyder Garage

Most people replace their pads way too early. That is because they don't realize that the wear limit is 1mm or about 3/4 of the width of a dime. The thinner the pad material the longer it lasts. In other words, when your pads are new they wear faster than when they are about shot. So if you have 20% of your pad material left you still have about 30% of the miles left.

If you throw away pads with 50% of the material left you're throwing away about 65% of the miles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...