Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about RPM's

I joined the forum about 10 minutes ago, but have been reading most all the posts here for over a week. My question is...I have read the Spyder owners do's and dont's over a few times and and as everyone here knows one of the main points of those tips is to NOT run the Spyder at low RPM's. Some have suggested using "trailer mode" which apparently will keep you from doing that. Suggested speed/RPM thresholds are listed. That said, I just bought my 2015 Spyder RTS a few days ago. The 2015's no longer have trailer mode which one poster stated is "no longer necessary" on the 2015's. Am I to take that to mean that something changed with the latest model that lets you run at lower RPM's and not hurt the engine? I have to admit I am the worlds worst at running at low "relaxed" RPM's. After reading the suggestions here I tried running my 2015 at higher RPM's waiting longer to shift and so forth. It make me nervous. Please advise me. Thanks in advance.

mdg

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes the 1330 engine does not need to be run at the same RPMs as the 998 engine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default RPM'S

Since the 2015 spyder has the bigger engine (1330) and also has the extra gear you will know longer have to shift at the higher rpm's.

Spyder Garage

Your 2015 RTS has a 1330 engine
    It runs at a lower RPM than the 990 V twin
    If you have a semi automatic it will down shift as you slow down so it will not let you run at too low an RPM
    If you have a manual shift you should keep your RPMs no lower than 2000
    Have fun you have a great machine
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks guys

Good deal and thanks for the answers.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

good to have you along. Glad you decided to join in. That do's and do nots you read has to be changed as far as rpms on the new 1330 ACE engine. Trailer mode also but the rest still applies. Are you ryding or contemplating. ?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pushed mine the other day to 6K + RPM and still was pulling..

Spyder Garage

As mentioned above, there are two different engines now and two different sets of directions.

The 998 (pre 2014 on everything) likes high revs. 5000 - 5500 is the operating range recommended. Running below 3500 was not recommended.

The 1330 in 2014 and up RT models and in the new F3 has a sweet spot between 3000 - 3500 rpms. Much quieter operation and much more torque at the low end.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I thought that the main reason for keeping the 998 revs higher was to keep the centrifugal clutch properly engaged & not slipping (both the manual & semi-autos are effectively the same transmission & clutch, just the SE5 has semi-auto gear shifting instead of manual selection) and since the 1330 doesn't use the same centrifugal clutch anymore, having 'upgraded' to a hydraulic clutch with either manual or semi-auto gear selection, the 1330's don't need the revs kept as high to keep the clutch fully locked??

Spyder Garage

Default 4,000 RPM at crusing speed?

I was going to post this question as a new thread, but since it is relevant, I'll ask it in this thread.

I have a 2015 RT and find that when I cruise at 80 MPH in 6th gear (Typical interstate speed in Arizona), I'm pushing 4,000 RPM. That seems a bit high, since my previous bikes held around 3,000 at 80 MPH in 6th gear. Is this normal for the 1330?

Thanks,

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I was going to post this question as a new thread, but since it is relevant, I'll ask it in this thread.

I have a 2015 RT and find that when I cruise at 80 MPH in 6th gear (Typical interstate speed in Arizona), I'm pushing 4,000 RPM. That seems a bit high, since my previous bikes held around 3,000 at 80 MPH in 6th gear. Is this normal for the 1330?

Thanks,

Pam
    Once you are in 6th gear and past about 65 mph the rpms will rise. Your redline is at 7500--so here--you are running the engine at slightly over half its capacity. A stroll through the park for the 1330. There is also a built in rev-limiter so you cannot over rev.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mattgroveton View Post
    Am I to take that to mean that something changed with the latest model that lets you run at lower RPM's and not hurt the engine?
    Yes, engine design! The 998 V-twin is designed to be a high revving engine with a redline above 9000 rpm and a comfortable cruising range of 4000 to 6000 rpm. The 1330 3 cylinder inline is designed to run at lower rpm hence the shift points, cruising range, and redline are all lower rpm. I believe I'm correct in saying the centrifugal clutch in the SE6 was designed to lock up at lower rpm also.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks,

Pam
    I could be wrong but I believe Rotax has a history of loving to build high rev engines.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    ....I believe I'm correct in saying the centrifugal clutch in the SE6 was designed to lock up at lower rpm also.
    I'm pretty sure that the SE6 doesn't have a centrifigul clutch anymore, that went when the 1330 motor came out, & they've gone to a hydraulic clutch that doesn't need revs to make it lock up, it's all built into the electronics!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter,
    You ARE correct.
    The new hydraulic system that now engages the clutch, is the reason for the lack of a caveat regarding low rpm operation.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Thanks,

Pam
    Yes, it is.

Spyder Garage

Default Gear sounds are loud

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

As mentioned above, there are two different engines now and two different sets of directions.

The 998 (pre 2014 on everything) likes high revs. 5000 - 5500 is the operating range recommended. Running below 3500 was not recommended.

The 1330 in 2014 and up RT models and in the new F3 has a sweet spot between 3000 - 3500 rpms. Much quieter operation and much more torque at the low end.
    Until I read your post I was taking it easy on my 2013 RT. I have been trying to keep track of the RPM's and I can't imagine hitting 5000 - 5500 consistently. I will have to hit the highway and wee what it is at 75

It has been more fun riding since I saw that the bike likes high revs.

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was very glad I had read about the preferred RPM operational range before I rode the RT. It really does perform more smoothly in the 4500-5500 RPM range, and always has plenty of reserve power if you keep in the "zone."

My old RS had much lower comfortable shift points, it seemed to me. Is the gearing significantly different on the RT vs. the RS?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

4,000 rpm in the 998 bikes, should have you just about at 55 mph...
    At this rpm level; the clutches are fully locked, and everybody is happy under the Tupperware!

Spyder Garage

Default 998 RPM tracking

Last week my wife took her 2012 RT in for routine servicing and had them run an updated BUDS report on her machine.

The optimum RPM range for the 998 is over 4,000 but of course that can't be done at all times. From what I have been able to understand if the 998 spends 35-40% of its' life running over four grand that is considered excellent.

My wife isn't into running up in the 6,000 plus range like I do at times, so her profile is a bit on the conservative side but it is good to see she is keeping the revs up over 43% of the time.

According to the service manager at the dealership this is a strong profile. It was also mentioned that if engine warranty problems develop, the first thing looked at is this profile. If there is evidence that the engine has spent the majority of it's life in the 0-3999 range the warranty work could be denied.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember; it also counts the time coming up through the rev range...
    Every time you start out; you're only at about 1,200 rpm...

Spyder Garage

Default Rev it up

Quote Originally Posted by barryj View Post
    Until I read your post I was taking it easy on my 2013 RT. I have been trying to keep track of the RPM's and I can't imagine hitting 5000 - 5500 consistently. I will have to hit the highway and wee what it is at 75

Most vehicle drivers in North America are used to lugging their big bore engines in the hopes of saving fuel. I had an uncle in the 60's who went through engines in his Volkswagon bug because he wouldn't keep the revs up. For the first few months on my 2014 RT ,I didn't hit 4000 rpm. Then when I saw that you spider lovers liked to ride at higher revs,I learned to keep my revs up too. With the fuel injected engines, it is better to cruise at higher rpms,because the engine only uses anough fuel to keep you going at your desired throttle setting. The engine is more efficient up in the power band and if you could ride without giving extra twists just to feel the pull then you have better fuel mileage at 4000 rpm in third gear than lugging along the same speed in 6th gear. It does take a bit of getting used to, to drop down another gear whenever you find yourself cruising along at too low an rpm.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for all the great comments

Received this from Shawn Smoak. Seems like a great guy. I'm sure he won't mind me posting this :

Thanks Shawn. Enjoy all of your videos.

mdg

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 5, 2015, at 12:35 AM, Shawn Smoak | ShawnSmoak.com <shawn@shawnsmoak.com> wrote:
    Hi Matt,

Forget all you've read about RPM's... That applied to the earlier 998cc twins, 2013 and prior. The 1330cc triples used in the RT since 2014 have no rules of any kind. Lug it, rev it, do whatever you wish. You can't hurt the 1330's! Turn the key on and go... All the clutching and EVAP systems have changed and there's now way you can harm the bike. You can go 35 mph in 6th gear, you're not going to cause any harm. There is one rule however, you must have fun when riding the 1330 RT's! I think it may be a requirement? Lol

Congratulations on your 2015 Spyder RT-S! You have the most enjoyable and reliable Spyder RT to date.

Take care Matt!

Sincerely,

Shawn | ShawnSmoak.com

Follow me on Facebook

My YouTube Channel
    FZR Photography
    IronHawk50
    Spyder Tech Blog
    Spyder Technician
    - Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus -

On Jun 25, 2015, at 8:20 PM, Matt Groveton <mattgroveton@gmail.com> wrote:
    Shawn - Really enjoy all of your Spyder vids. I have a quick question about revs/rpm's. I just took delivery of my 2015 Spyder RTS on Monday. In reading the forums on spyderlover.com they repeatedly say that the Spyder is to driven at high RPM's...never below 3500 to 4500 rpm's at all times and to do otherwise could cause damage to the bike. In watching your videos it seems that you are not necessarily doing that. What is the truth? What are your suggested shifting points and operating rev's. Thanks in advance.

Matt Groveton
    Groesbeck, Texas

Spyder Garage

Default 5000 - 5500 every gear?

Quote Originally Posted by barryj View Post

I was out on the Hwy hitting 75 and RPM's were in the 5100 range what I could hear of the engine with the wind in my ears it sounded fine but in lower gears the whining of the gears was a lot higher. What are the recommended RPM's for each gear? I can't imagine running the rpm's up to 5000 in 3rd gear let alone 2nd, even in 4th it will be screaming......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With a "998 Bike", just plan your shifts at about the 5,000 rpm range...
    That'll keep your clutches happy, and that's your only concern.
    In Fifth Gear; just let it rev!