Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Former RS owner, ready to pull trigger on 2013 RT

Wavey.

I haven't been around here in a couple of years. After two fabulous years of ryding with the love of my life, he was killed on his (two-wheeled) motorcycle by a drunk driver. Couldn't bear to be around motorcycles of any kind for a long while.

Time passes, the lure of the wind in my face is great, and I've been thinking pretty hard for several months about getting another Spyder. Been haunting the local dealer lately, and was about ready to jump on a leftover '13 ST, when the dealer got on trade a '13 RT-S. 870 miles and with all the goodies I wanted, and a smokin' deal. I got a test ride this past weekend, and put a deposit on it.

So.....some questions/thoughts for all you extremely knowledgeable people.

I will be purchasing the extended warranty (something that was highly recommended when I purchased the RS, and I think it was money well spent).

I have asked the dealer to check on the status of the heat issue recall. This was a unit that they sold new, did all the service on, and was traded back in by the original owner (on an F3). Based on the incredibly low miles, in my mind it's unlikely the original owner brought it in for the recall work. I've told the dealer I won't take delivery of it until that work has been done.

Is there anything else I should be on the alert for? The heat issue recall is the only recall I'm aware of, but I realize it's not out of the realm of possibility that there might have been others. Also, I'm curious about any other common little fixes that others have done, as well as any recommended farkles. Personally, I can't think of any farkles it really needs, since the RT platform fixes all the ergonomic problems I had with my original RS, as well as adding all the extra storage, a powerlet, and heated grips.

I test rode because I was concerned I might miss some of the giddyup that the extra weight might take away from the 998's grunt power (~250 lbs more than the '09 RS). I could tell it wasn't as quick as the RS, but it still had more than enough power to put a big grin on my face.

Spyder Garage

You pose an interesting question. There is a fix now for the 2013 RT models. It involves new air scoops to be installed by the dealer as well as some additional insulation.

Those that have had the work performed, seem very happy with the fix.

The 2013 model year has had some bad press and because of that, the value of the 2013 has been hurt. A lot of BRP dealers will not even take them in trade.

New 2014's can now be had for up to $4,000 off and an extra 2 year warranty--this weekends TV advertising. If you cannot get at least $6K off the 2013 MSRP--I don't think you are going to be getting a good deal.

Personally, I would opt for a 2014 RT with the new 1330 engine given the current sale prices being offered.

Watch out for slick salespersons that may try to sell an overpriced (because of the fix) 2013 at this time. The resale market remains to be determined IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. I should have provided a little more background, huh? Local dealer has no '14s in stock; next nearest dealer is 300+ miles away.

I went into this thinking I wanted a '14 ST, but several years ago when I was still on the RS, I was wishing desperately for an RT. Then, lo and behold, this one practically falls in my lap (and it's priced at $9K below MSRP), and it's hard for me to say "no"!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminMeanie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I should have provided a little more background, huh? Local dealer has no '14s in stock; next nearest dealer is 300+ miles away.

I went into this thinking I wanted a '14 ST, but several years ago when I was still on the RS, I was wishing desperately for an RT. Then, lo and behold, this one practically falls in my lap (and it's priced at $9K below MSRP), and it's hard for me to say "no"!
    $9K is a really, really good deal below MSRP. Have the dealer do the factory update of course. I would also get a full print out of the service history, and maybe talk with the original owner if possible. There were some good 2013's and some really bad ones out there. Due diligence is my advice. I just would not want someone to get saddled with one of the "problematic" 2013's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Likewise, I would not want to *be* that person saddled with one! On the ~50 mile test ride I took, it performed flawlessly, but I realize that could mean nothing in the big picture. I will definitely ask for service records and see if they are comfortable hooking me up with the previous owner's contact info. If all is well, they *should* be okay with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear of your loss...

But I'm glad to hear that you're making your way!
    If this RT can get the recall work done on it prior to delivery; it could sure be an awful nice ride for you!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Likewise, I would not want to *be* that person saddled with one! On the ~50 mile test ride I took, it performed flawlessly, but I realize that could mean nothing in the big picture. I will definitely ask for service records and see if they are comfortable hooking me up with the previous owner's contact info. If all is well, they *should* be okay with it.
    Hope this all works out great for you. You are a very smart buyer.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Once the recall work is done, the 2013s are quite the bargain right now. Much cheaper than a 2014 and much better bike than the 10 thru 12s. What once was to be avoided is now a bargain that will likely improve its resale value with time.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Once the recall work is done, the 2013s are quite the bargain right now. Much cheaper than a 2014 and much better bike than the 10 thru 12s. What once was to be avoided is now a bargain that will likely improve its resale value with time.

Ditto if "much better bike" means better handling than the 10 thru 12s. It is. If the "13" is an RT-S, then you will still have a slight "right hot foot" problem because of where you position that foot on the floorboard. That can be remedied.

Chris

Spyder Garage

My '14RT-S is my first Spyder and I have had no experiences with the Rotax V-twin engines. That said I don't want to rain on your parade but offer this suggestion: if your budget can handle it and you want an RT, a 300 mile or so drive to another dealer to test ride a '14 RT would be well worth it IMO. Even with the heat recall mods made you are buying older, some would say long in the tooth, technology. The 1330 engine, speed transmission and hydraulically operated clutch is a quantum leap in both performance and reduced maintenance cost. The 300 mile ride bringing a '14 RT home will have you very comfortable with it when you roll into your driveway. JMO. If you like the high reving V-twin, go for it! Good luck.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I can't remember which (entire) leg it was that got baked on the RS. Possibly both.

My last long trip on the RS was 4000+ miles in 13 days, to Minnesota and back. About 1400 of those miles were side trips and self-initiated detours. Rode through 100F+ heat for several days, then day after day after day of rain and hail, slippery roads, road construction, you name it.

On the way home we did back-to-back-to-back 450+ mile days. That was when I was wishing so desperately for an RT. At one point in the trip, we got talking to a couple, him on an HD trike, her on an RT. My late fiancé brought up the problems I was having with the ergos of the RS, and the lady offered to let me sit on her RT. I declined, telling her that if I did, I'd probably end up bashing her over the head for her keys and riding the RT the rest of the way home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Ditto if "much better bike" means better handling than the 10 thru 12s. It is. If the "13" is an RT-S, then you will still have a slight "right hot foot" problem because of where you position that foot on the floorboard. That can be remedied.Chris
    Yes, better handling, better brakes and now better cooling and fuel management.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry for your loss

Wavey.

I haven't been around here in a couple of years. After two fabulous years of ryding with the love of my life, he was killed on his (two-wheeled) motorcycle by a drunk driver. Couldn't bear to be around motorcycles of any kind for a long while.
    I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HUH

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    $9K is a really, really good deal below MSRP. Have the dealer do the factory update of course. I would also get a full print out of the service history, and maybe talk with the original owner if possible. There were some good 2013's and some really bad ones out there. Due diligence is my advice. I just would not want someone to get saddled with one of the "problematic" 2013's.
    $ 9,000 below MSRP on a Spyder that is very soon to be a two year old model with the OLD style engine in my book is not a Bargain....You need to know what the actual value of the purchase is after you drive it of the lot ....ie KBB, or NADA.....because that is what it's worth .......I paid $3400 under MSRP on my Brand new Spyder in April of 14.....................and there is a 14 RT-LTD on E-bay right now for $22,000.....JMHO.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-29-2015 at 08:04 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I just posted one I saw one for $ 16,299....a 2014 white RT SM-6, and they don't charge for shipping , handling , set-up, crate fee's etc.......Holzhaur Motorsports in Nashville Ill..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Wavey. Love my 2013 RT especially now the "heat issue" is sorted as far as I'm concerned.
    You asked about "farkles" - obviously no end of what can be done but the one single item that I added to my RT was a heavier Sway Bar. You will not believe the difference it makes to the handling of an RT.
    Have fun and stay safe

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 2014

Your are talking 2 very different bikes. If you can swing it the 14 has alot of advantages.
    The 13 has very exspensive maintenance, low MPG. I believe 2 or 3 years from now the 3cylinder 6 speed 2014 resale will be much higher. If you plan on long rides the 14 will be more comfortable and less expensive . When we bought ours it was not for long rides, they are so much fun, smooth, comfortable we now go on long rides.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for all the responses!

I simply don't know what to do. There are NO leftover '14s within a 3-state radius (that I can find), except for RS models. I understand the difference between the twin and the triple, and the associated maintenance costs. $9K under MSRP will buy a lot of services, and from what I'm seeing in other threads here, the '14s and '15s are starting to show up with some quirky stuff, too. Also, I specifically want the semi-automatic transmission, so that's even more limiting to my options.

My only other choice at this point seems to be the leftover new '13 ST at my local dealer, which has the same high-maintenance powerplant that many here are trying to shoo me away from, as well as its own host of known issues. At least it would have the full factory warranty (but I'd still want to purchase the extended warranty), and it's priced at $1K more than the RT-S.

The price difference between these two '13s available locally and a '15 is more than enough to price me out of the market. I'll spend up to ~$20K to get what I want, but not $30K.

I don't have the leisure to do a fly and ride to purchase one more than a couple hundred miles away.

Spyder Garage

I have a '13 ST-S and love the V twin engine. If you can get the '13 RT for $9000 off MSRP and make sure they do the heat recall, then go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I simply don't know what to do. There are NO leftover '14s within a 3-state radius (that I can find), except for RS models. I understand the difference between the twin and the triple, and the associated maintenance costs. $9K under MSRP will buy a lot of services, and from what I'm seeing in other threads here, the '14s and '15s are starting to show up with some quirky stuff, too. Also, I specifically want the semi-automatic transmission, so that's even more limiting to my options.

My only other choice at this point seems to be the leftover new '13 ST at my local dealer, which has the same high-maintenance powerplant that many here are trying to shoo me away from, as well as its own host of known issues. At least it would have the full factory warranty (but I'd still want to purchase the extended warranty), and it's priced at $1K more than the RT-S.

The price difference between these two '13s available locally and a '15 is more than enough to price me out of the market. I'll spend up to ~$20K to get what I want, but not $30K.

I don't have the leisure to do a fly and ride to purchase one more than a couple hundred miles away.

Buy from far away and have it shipped? A few have done this with good results. Others will have to come on and say who.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just had my 2013 RTS recall done, took a ~150 mile test ride, stopped for gas. Gas cap, that use to be very hot is now barely warm. I was happy with the performance and results after the recall. However, while my bike was being worked on, I took an F3-S for a test ride. It definitely felt like it had a stronger engine. The F3-S is a different machine than the RTS and compared to the RTS, the F3-S flat out flies. Reliability wise, who knows, the v-twin has been around a long time and the 1330 is relatively new.

Spyder Garage

Elephant in the room first:

What is the actual price on the Spyder? (excluding tax and license)

Now, we are tossing around the -$9K number, but the actual cost is the first place to look. That needs to be put next to the best deal you can get on a comparable 14/15, and don't forget to account for the service costs (it's mostly the valve services, as I do oil every 5K anyway, but I go through tires faster on my 2014 than on my 2010).

If you really want this bike, try walking in with 3K less than they are offering and put the money on the table. There may be more flexibility than they are admitting to, or not.

14's are few and far between, but the difference between my 2010 and 2014 is very significant. It may look the same on the outside, but it is unquestionably better all the way around in terms of power, handling and dependability.

The dealership should do the heat service on the bike no matter what, and it will actually look different when it is completed so you will know it is done. I wouldn't purchase until this is completed.

Does the warranty start when you buy it, or is it already running? I'd look at that end date very seriously. You can get up to six years on 2014's, I'm not sure on other years.

"Bus and ride" it it makes for a better purchase, long term you will be very happy you went to the extra effort to get what you really want. If the Spyder is truly new, then there's no reason you can't do the deal on the phone/fax/computer and just go to pick it up.

My best advice is put in the extra effort and time to get what best fits for you, no matter which decision you make.

And, please be sure to follow up on this thread letting us know what you decided to do.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I've been told via PM that a '14 RT is available in Nashville for $16,999. If there is, I can't find it. Best deal I've been able to find advertised anywhere in the U.S. on a '14 RT-S SE-6 (the '13 I'm looking at is an RT-S SE-5, for comparing apples to apples) is $24,xxx (not including dealer fees, etc.). The '13 RT-S SE-5 here has an in-house price of $17,999, plus taxes, and dealer prep/title transfer fee of $350. For 2015 RT-S SE-6s, I can only find MSRP-priced units.

The main reason I want to get another Spyder is for my sanity. My long-time boss recently retired, and I am temporarily doing his job as well as my own (but, of course, for only the salary of one job). This situation is likely to continue for at least several more months. I do not currently have the ability to take more than a day or two off of work until, most likely, October or November, which is what makes the "fly and ride" option a no-go. If someone can point me to a new '14 RT-S SE-6 that I can get for under $22K, signed, sealed, and delivered, I will drop this lightly used '13 like a hot potato and be on the phone to that dealer tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

I've been told via PM that a '14 RT is available in Nashville for $16,999. If there is, I can't find it. Best deal I've been able to find advertised anywhere in the U.S. on a '14 RT-S SE-6 (the '13 I'm looking at is an RT-S SE-5, for comparing apples to apples) is $24,xxx (not including dealer fees, etc.). The '13 RT-S SE-5 here has an in-house price of $17,999, plus taxes, and dealer prep/title transfer fee of $350. For 2015 RT-S SE-6s, I can only find MSRP-priced units.

The main reason I want to get another Spyder is for my sanity. My long-time boss recently retired, and I am temporarily doing his job as well as my own (but, of course, for only the salary of one job). This situation is likely to continue for at least several more months. I do not currently have the ability to take more than a day or two off of work until, most likely, October or November, which is what makes the "fly and ride" option a no-go. If someone can point me to a new '14 RT-S SE-6 that I can get for under $22K, signed, sealed, and delivered, I will drop this lightly used '13 like a hot potato and be on the phone to that dealer tomorrow.
    Spend $1000 and have it shipped - the 14 is a far, far better deal, and one of which I am very jealous.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Spend $1000 and have it shipped - the 14 is a far, far better deal, and one of which I am very jealous.
    Without a link and/or a dealer name, I can't find the referenced advertisement, and I don't want a manual transmission in any case.

One thing I do know about dealers in the western states: they have a pronounced tendency to advertise "loss leaders" and then when you contact the dealer about it, "oh, that *just* sold, but I do have another one you might be interested in." For an extra 15% in in price. Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me (bikes and cars).

Since I'm never in the same town as these "remarkable" deals, I don't have any way to prove it, except that I occasionally notice, a month or two later, the same "deal" still posted on their website/ad. I've even gone so far as to make a note of the VIN and compare the two. Once or twice I've even called again, on the same ad, and asked them why I was told it was previously sold if the ad was still up. "Oh, the original deal fell through, so we put the ad back up." Oh, good, so it's still available? "Let me double check.......no, it was just sold this morning. But I've got some others you might be interested in......" Etc.

So, I would love to see links to any legitimate deals out there. On my own steam, I'm not finding any. FWIW, I've bought numerous motorcycles (not just the Spyder) from this local dealer over the years, and I've never gotten a bad deal or a lemon, and their service department is better than any other m/c dealer in town.

I am sad that my post released a seeming avalanche of doom and gloom. I appreciate all the measured input, both good and bad, regarding the '13 RTs. The "zOMG, DON'T DO IT THEY'RE AWFUL" responses, maybe not quite as much.

I am left with the feeling that, if I were to go ahead and purchase this RT, I would be disinclined to share the information here for fear of the backlash I might receive.