Thread: BahaRon's Links

Spyder Garage

Default BahaRon's Links

Hi Folks,

Last year I installed BajaRon's Sway Bar ( 2008 GS ) and at that time he said that I did not need the Billet Aluminum Links that he sells.

Then he changed his mind & now recommends that the links be changed no matter what year, model, etc.

So I ordered a set & installed them today.

In his instructions he says: 1. (Not required but helpful) Remove the Lower Plastic Air Deflector - Diagram #2 (#55) by removing the (4) Screws (#8) which attach it to the Lower A-Arm . . .

After working for a while on the first one, you quickly realize that removing these four screws on each Lower Plastic Air Deflector gives you a lot more room and better access to the nuts & bolts holding the links. I have a fair supply of metric tools & got out my 8 mm open/box end wrench. After taking the first deflector off, rather slowly I thought that there might be another, better tool in my tool box.

I have a set of SAE nut drivers. Well, a 5/16" nut driver fits those 8 mm screws almost perfectly. So if you ever get stuck trying to locate a 8 mm nut driver, just get out your 5/16" one and go to work.
    Now I suppose all of you shade tree mechanics already know this.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for reminding everyone of this "Oddity" in the S.A.E./Metric world...
    For the Record:
    5/16" equals .3125"
    8mm equals .31496"

The difference of .00246" is well within whatever crud and rust is accumulated within your sockets anyway.

1 mm equals .039370"
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-28-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SIZE MAY NOT MATTER

I AM PRETTY SURE the lug nuts are really 21mm, however 13/16 SAE fits ( don't ask how I know this )........Seth-o knows .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Yep- Used the 13/16th 6 pt thinwall socket from my Craftsman set to remove wheels

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I AM PRETTY SURE the lug nuts are really 21mm, however 13/16 SAE fits ( don't ask how I know this )........Seth-o knows .....Mike
    For the various times that removing front wheels comes in handy, the 13/16th worked fine and then I used it to torque the lugs back when finished. Had the local tire store switch tires and balance at 9,000 miles to even out the outside wear pattern. Looks like we should get another 10,000 miles out of the OEM Kendas on the front now (fingers crossed).
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for reminding everyone of this "Oddity" in the S.A.E./Metric world...
    For the Record:
    5/16" equals .3125"
    8mm equals .31496"

The difference of .00246" is well within whatever crud and rust is accumulated within your sockets anyway.

1 mm equals .039370"

In a pinch, there are quite a few close fits.

http://www.sosmath.com/tables/sae/sae.html

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wr...on-d_1607.html
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!