Spyder Garage

Default Life expectancy of stock shocks

I'm wondering what others have found to be the well performing life expectancy of the stock shocks on an RT (I have a 2014 RT-S). My mechanic (who does great work and is very well respected) has suggested that they largely wear out around 15K with serious riding. I think I feel a difference, but it's sometimes hard to separate what is in your mind from what is real. He offers Race Tech shocks, which are great, but comparable in price to Elkas.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I have not replaced a single shock on any of the five 's owned.

36,500 miles on the 2010 and no need. Traded off at that point.

Coming up on 20K on the 2011 and 16K on the 2014.

No shocks needed in the near future.

23,500 and 25,000 plus on the 2008 and 2009. Both traded off at that point.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-26-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On our 2010 RT, I would agree with your mechanics opinion, original and replacement stock rear done in first 25K the Elka rear replacement still running at 52K+.

Have no experience with the 2014 shocks.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

I have not drank on the new "high end" shock cool-aid yet.
    I know Lou likes to push the Race Tech's and they are great shocks but in my opinion unless your doing a lot of hard riding, I just don't see the need!
    Also be aware high end shocks like that need servicing every year so add that to the expense!

15K miles on my RT and no need for shocks at this time. The Bert's mega mall ride I really pushed my RT and proved to myself the stock shocks are fine for me. If I ever feel I need new shocks, I will buy the stock ones since they are proving themselves.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ive put 6K on the Beast, bought last November with 4K on it and my original shocks are working great. I ride hard and they handle everything I throw at em. Still ride smooth on the interstates too.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

funny how real expensive parts make you think your spyder rides better... maybe it because the difference in weight when they take a ton out of your wallet..

osm

Spyder Garage

I have over 35000 miles on my 2914 RTL. I ride it as hard as humanly possible and my shocks are still great
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Thanks for advice on stock shocks! See you have a Baja Ron sway bar, was it needed or just wanted? Cost worth the performance? I have a 2020 F3 basic, standard shocks and sway bar! I am a casual rider, maybe 3000 miles per year! Would sway bar make that big of difference? Thanks

Spyder Garage

I replaced the shocks on my 14 RTS. I would like to upgrade the 2020 RTL shocks. But find the prices rather high. The shocks on my 16 F3L were a much better quality shock. I also wonder about the shock adjusters that "BAJARON" sells. But I am not capable of doing the labor myself. Dealer labor is $$$.. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have over 35000 miles on my 2914 RTL. I ride it as hard as humanly possible and my shocks are still great
    What new features does the 2914 RT have over current models? Hover mode? Fully automatic transmission? Do they still have BuRP Connect???

Spyder Garage

I would say, rule of thumb would be an upper limit of somewhere in the neighborhood of 50k for most OEM shocks. That said, the 2008-2010 Spyder OEM shocks were abysmal. The 2010 RT shocks probably being the worst of the lot. All of the 2008-2013 shocks were under sprung and under dampened brand new. But BRP improved the RT shocks for the 2011-2013 models. Still underwhelming. But better. The 2008-2013 GS, RS and ST shocks were decent, but nothing to write home about. In 2014, BRP made some very real improvements in the RT shocks. And I believe they have continued to make, at least, small improvements in them, from time to time, until now.

I believe the RS & ST shocks also got some minor improvements over time until they were discontinued in 2016. The RSS always came with aftermarket Fox shocks, so they have been pretty good from the start.

The real issue with the 2014+ OEM shocks is the lack of pre-load adjustability. The Spyder frankly needs this capability to really get the most out of any shock. This is why all aftermarket (including the Fox Podium which BRP offers as an upgrade) come with this feature. The reason I started making the shock adjusters was because BRP finally came out with a decently valved/dampened unit. They aren't Elka's, of course. But adding the adjusters is pretty inexpensive. And a decent alternative.

One of the best things you can do for your 2013 RT (Budget) is to put a 2014 or later OEM RT Shock set on the front. You can usually find them fairly new and inexpensive from those who have put Elkas, Fox, Webber, etc., shocks on their ride. You will definitely notice a difference in ride and handling quality.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-10-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have 35,000 miles on my Rt and the stock shocks are doing fine. I tend to corner aggressively at times and have made the following changes. BajaRon shock adjusters made a very noticeable difference on my 2015 RT. Car tires made a BIG difference. Sway bar not so much. Sway bar does make freeway riding a bit better when dealing with buffeting from trucks or sidewinds. Bike feels planted a bit better with the bar in windy situations.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Crazy Ron, this is exactly what you told me in PM email. Fox shocks on order, waiting on your swaybar. Thanks for the help.
    2013 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    One of the best things you can do for your 2013 RT (Budget) is to put a 2014 or later OEM RT Shock set on the front. You can usually find them fairly new and inexpensive from those who have put Elkas, Fox, Webber, etc., shocks on their ride. You will definitely notice a difference in ride and handling quality.
    I have a 2017 F3L and can I assume this bike has the same shock as the RT has, or is it a different shock?
    If different, are the F3L shocks stiffer?
    I see what appear to be adjusting rings at the bottom of the spring. Is it possible to tighten the spring with them?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    What new features does the 2914 RT have over current models? Hover mode? Fully automatic transmission? Do they still have BuRP Connect???
    SHHHHHHHHHHHH! He is one of BRP's pre testers. The bummer is that the newly revised RT will not be available until 2916.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-21-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    SHHHHHHHHHHHH! He is one of BRP's pre testers. The bummer is that the newly revised RT will not be available until 2914.
    By then if any of us are lucky enough to live that long, maybe, just maybe, BRP will come out with a shaft drive on their spyders. However, our descendants by that time may likely be piloting around in drones with no need or desire of owning anything that has wheels.

Spyder Garage

Consider Fox Podium series. I put these on 2013 along with Baja Ron sway bar. Fox series less cost than Elka, but still pricey.
    2013 RT , White

Spyder Garage

FWIW had 52K on my 2014 RS; never noticed any appreciable degradement of ride.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMO.....a shock absorber purpose is to stop Spring Oscillation......bounce test each side and compare. A new shock may be dampened differently,some have dampening adjusters. There is a TSB out there 13-5 on RS’s ,which addresses nose diving when stopping , states to replace shocks.
    Oil viscosity may degrade over time may effect dampening effect.
    If it leaks....that’s a no brainer.
    Or.......treat yourself to a new set of shocks.....life is short!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue