Thread: F3 rustproof?

Spyder Garage

Default F3 rustproof?

Can I ride it when there is winter salt on the road or would it turn into a rust bucket?
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLL

Salt will shorten the life of anything made of metal......I live in Vermont ...all the cars RUST out early in their life.....It's very hard to wash it off.....In Alaska they don't use Salt, I bought a Truck from Alaska the underside looked brand new........I think the KEY is DRY VS.WET .....If you can wash off the salt I think you are OK...............But IMHO , I would avoid it if at all possible..............Mike

Spyder Garage

That is what I suspected. I had a Night Hawk and road it in the salt only once, the pipes where rusted and useless in less than a week.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I note you are from Chicago area. I would not recommend riding the under winter conditions--as in snow, ice, salt.

You can go (sometimes), but not stop very well on ice. Add that to the equation, all those trucks and SUV's on the roads, and you could be in a dangerous situation.

My dealer put studs on his tires the first year we had 's A couple rides, and he was done.

I am one of those that is the last in the season to park it and one of the first in the season to ride it. The deciding factor is black ice on the road. As Mike said--no salt on the roads in AK. When it gets really, really bad, they do put some sand on selected areas.

Seth from MN may disagree with me and he posted some winter riding videos on his 2008 I believe.

To each their own. I posted the above for FYI only.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-25-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I live in PA and we are part of the 'salt belt' states. I do ride year round, as much as I can, and I never noticed any rust on the RSS except surface rust on the exhaust pipe. That being said, I never ride on wet roads in the winter. If I see salt dust on the road and the snow is melting, I take the cage.

If the road is clear of salt dust and the temp is above 35 degrees, it's heated gear and fun time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    I live in PA and we are part of the 'salt belt' states. I do ride year round, as much as I can, and I never noticed any rust on the RSS except surface rust on the exhaust pipe. That being said, I never ride on wet roads in the winter. If I see salt dust on the road and the snow is melting, I take the cage.

If the road is clear of salt dust and the temp is above 35 degrees, it's heated gear and fun time.
    That is what I am thinking. The cold is not as much an issue as ice, salt and water. Dry and cold is OK.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As soon as the Salt Trucks hit the road; my Spyder gets parked.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black