Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Level on 1330-engined Spyders, Chapter II

Thanks to a thoughtful note sent to me by forum member Jaybros, it's been brought to our attention that there was still some inconsistency in the messaging regarding oil changes and capacity. We'll work quickly to address those.

First, to avoid any confusion, here is the official, correct information:

• There is currently - as on June 23rd 2015 - only 1 1330 ACE engine configuration available. 2014/15 RT and 2015 F3 all have the same engine.
    • The required oil fill amount when changing oil and oil filter on the SE6 engine is 4.7L or 5.0Qt.
    • An oil quantity correction was made after production to avoid adding too much oil after an oil change and have to siphon it out rather than add oil to correct the level. During an oil change the amount of oil removed and needed to be added is never exactly the same, this is why a recommended amount to be added initially is given and then the procedure to verify the final level is used. A new dipstick is not necessary since the oil level in the oil tank doesn’t change, only the method of adding the initial amount before final level verification. In other words, it's easier to add more oil if you underfill than to remove excess oil if you overfill.
    • Service bulletin 2014-7 “Shop Manual Modifications” was published August 2014 indicating changes to the PDF (web) version which included Engine Oil Level Verification and Engine Oil and Oil Filter Change.
    • It is normal for a small engine, which includes a wet clutch and gearbox sharing the same oil, to shear down 20-30% within 1000-1500 miles but this shear flattens out and stabilizes for the remaining normal use interval. The 1330 ACE engine has been extensively tested to guarantee that 9300 miles is a safe oil change interval.

Now, there are places where we'll have to make sure we update our instructions - evidently, we missed a couple:

• On page 126 of the 2014 RT Operator's Guide, Issue 219 001 219, the required oil fill amount when changing oil and oil filter on the SE6 engine is 5.3L or 5.6Qt - Information incorrect - will be updated with new quantities – PDF (web) version.
    • On page 129 of the 2015 F3 Operator's Guide, Issue 219 001 534, the required oil fill amount when changing oil and oil filter on the SE6 engine is 5.6L or 5.9Qt - Information incorrect - will be updated with new quantities – PDF (web) version.
    • On page 161 of the 2014 RT Operator's Guide and page 165 of the 2015 RT Operator's Guide the API service categories SL, SJ, SH, SG are listed for the engine. On page 129 of the F3 Operator's Guide API service categories SL, SJ, SM, SN are listed for the engine. Are service categories SM and SN acceptable for the 2014 and 2015 RT engines? Publication error as shop manual specifications remain API service categories SL, SJ, SH, SG.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 06-23-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: formatting and layout
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Thanks Steve. This info is much appreciated.

A couple more questions for you: My '14 manual says the service catagories can be "SG, SH, SJ, SL OR HIGHER. This wording "or higher" means SN can be used if so rated as a motorcycle oil, however you seem to have dropped the SN off the F3 manual. Please clarify.

Second: Can you state what the oil weight of BRP oil Is?
    I don't believe the containers say that it is 5-40 or 10-40 or anything.

Don't suppose you'd care to say who your supplier of oil is???
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does that mean now the oil change kits will have 5 quarts versus 7 quarts in the future??

Spyder Garage

Good info, I've shared it on all my pages. Thanks for the heads up.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Steve, I am wondering why BRP didn't mail out a corrected page for the Owners Manual like they did when the maintenance schedule was changed a few years ago?

Also, for those of us with an SM would you please list the correct amount for us. (I have a copy of the update that Lamont posted but others may not have seen it.)

Thanks.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    My '14 manual says the service catagories can be "SG, SH, SJ, SL OR HIGHER. This wording "or higher" means SN can be used if so rated as a motorcycle oil, however you seem to have dropped the SN off the F3 manual. Please clarify.
    "Or higher" means that, at time of publication, this is what was available and that in the future higher ratings may become available and would be considered acceptable.
    Second: Can you state what the oil weight of BRP oil Is? don't believe the containers say that it is 5-40 or 10-40 or anything.
    It is is 5W40.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks - what is the mark on the oil dip stick indicating a "full" line?

I have added the correct amount of 5 quarts after oil/filter changes (3 oil changes - have 17,000+ miles on my 2014 RT). It looks very low on the dipstick. Are you saying that is OK (with the 5 quarts added after change) and that is the new "mark" for full?
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Steve,
    Thanks!

We REALLY appreciate how well you put up with all of us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am in no way trying to bust BRP's chops, however, Ann brought up and excellent point. I would take that one step further, which is a drop of 2 quarts in capacity is a massive change. Shouldn't BRP make available new dip sticks with the correct fill/full lines so that owners can accurately check their oil?
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I have added the correct amount of 5 quarts after oil/filter changes (3 oil changes - have 17,000+ miles on my 2014 RT). It looks very low on the dipstick. Are you saying that is OK (with the 5 quarts added after change) and that is the new "mark" for full?
    OK, ready for this because it's counter-intuitive? If you change the filter and drain the canister, add 5.0 qt, bring it to operating temperature and check the level, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l+verification,
    the level will show at the "Min" mark on the dipstick. See Steve's third bullet.

Now when the average bloke sees an oil level at the Min or low mark on a dipstick his brain says, "Add oil, dope." But if you know the required quantity is 5.0 qt and you put it in, the fact that the dipstick reads at the Min mark is immaterial.

FWIW, on the last oil change which was my first DIY I had the Spyder on ramps and let the engine & trans drain while I ate a leisurely lunch, refilled it with the 5 qt and it was at the Min level. The drain plugs are at the aft end of the oil sump and clutch cover so I believe I got out as much old oil as possible. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Lower bump is full. top bump is overfill............or you could grind off the top bump.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Don't understand the confusion.

The oil capacity has not changed. So the oil level in the oil tank has not changed. So the dipstick is correct as it has always been. Keep the oil level between min and max when hot. Seems simple enough to me.

What has changed is the initial fill amount after an oil change has been reduced so as not to risk an overfill. Because it is easier to add more oil than it is to suck the extra out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So the correct way is change oil, add 5qts, run engine, check oil, add as needed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-09-2024 at 05:09 PM. Reason: , ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Don't understand the confusion.

The oil capacity has not changed. So the oil level in the oil tank has not changed. So the dipstick is correct as it has always been. Keep the oil level between min and max when hot. Seems simple enough to me.

What has changed is the initial fill amount after an oil change has been reduced so as not to risk an overfill. Because it is easier to add more oil than it is to suck the extra out.
    Unlike the 998s the 1330s don't have a completely separate oil tank. The dry sump system in the engine is connected to an attached oil tank that is bolted to the engine block. Three scavenger pumps return oil to the tank from the very shallow engine sump beneath the crankshaft. By reducing the amount from 5.9 to 5.0 qt the level in the tank is changing, dropping to the Min mark on the dipstick. The dipstick reads the level in the tank so oil level on the stick shows lower although the capacity of the tank has not changed. It is my uneducated guess that the original larger quantity of oil recommended may have caused the scavenger pumps to work overtime to the detriment (alleged loss of power) of the engine trying to get that extra oil pumped into the tank when there wasn't enough room if the engine was overfilled when the recommended fill amount was 5.9 qt. http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1
    Last edited by JayBros; 06-24-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: To correct incorrect identification of the oil tank.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beast68 View Post
    So the correct way is change oil, add 5qts, run engine, check oil add as needed.
    If it was me; I'd add about 4 1/2 quarts, and then start checking the level...
    But essentially:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the explanation

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Unlike the 998s the 1330s don't have a completely separate oil tank. The dry sump system in the engine is using the transmission as the oil tank. Three scavenger pumps return oil to the transmission from the very shallow engine sump beneath the crankshaft. By reducing the amount from 5.9 to 5.0 qt the level in the transmission is changing, dropping to the Min mark on the dipstick. The dipstick reads the level in the transmission so oil level on the stick shows lower although the capacity of the transmission case has not changed. It is my uneducated guess that the original larger quantity of oil recommended may have caused the scavenger pumps to work overtime to the detriment (alleged loss of power) of the engine trying to get that extra oil pumped into the trans case when there wasn't enough room if the engine was overfilled when the recommended fill amount was 5.9 qt. http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1
    Yes, I had read about power loss with being "too full" on oil with the 1330. Your comments make the most sense to me of everything else that I have read.....I'm keeping my oil just above the add line which is just a small amount more than the "official" 5 quart fill. I do the 5 quart fill each time I've changed the oil/filter (since the new info came out)....and it makes me worry a little when it's just at the add mark. Oh well, good discussion on the subject and I think your explanation helps the most so far.....thanks!

BTW - the 1330 has been AWESOME! Zero issues after 17,500 miles on my 2014 RT Limited - great machine!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 06-24-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Bum Link

My apology that the link in post #14 did not show the engine lubrication system blow up as I thought it would. Here's what I intended to show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Unlike the 998s the 1330s don't have a completely separate oil tank. The dry sump system in the engine is connected to an attached oil tank that is bolted to the engine block. Three scavenger pumps return oil to the tank from the very shallow engine sump beneath the crankshaft. By reducing the amount from 5.9 to 5.0 qt the level in the tank is changing, dropping to the Min mark on the dipstick. The dipstick reads the level in the tank so oil level on the stick shows lower although the capacity of the tank has not changed. It is my uneducated guess that the original larger quantity of oil recommended may have caused the scavenger pumps to work overtime to the detriment (alleged loss of power) of the engine trying to get that extra oil pumped into the tank when there wasn't enough room if the engine was overfilled when the recommended fill amount was 5.9 qt. http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1
    I am sorry but you give no reason not to believe BRP Care Steve. So that means you are incorrect IMHO. All that has changed is the initial fill amount and the dipstick is correct.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Gee Billy, maybe I've been playing with this too long and have my brain mushed up. I hope that in no way I gave any indication that I do not believe Steve. My initial correspondence to him pointed out the differences in the three operator's guides for the 1330 engine. As he said, the initial tech note to dealers in August '14 changed the required oil change fill amount for the SE6 engine to 5.0 qt. I accept his explanation that adherence to the change will eliminate the need to siphon out extra oil. If one puts in the 5 qt required amount the dipstick will read at the Min level. If one wants to add more than the required 5 qt that's their business.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Now I'm Really Confused

Every since Lamont published back in '14 that the fill amount had been REDUCED and was now 5 qts (at least thats the way I read it) for the SE6 thats exactly what I've been doing. Dump the oil, bike level or sometimes front jacked up 10 inches, toss in 5 quarts, run engine awhile, and the level covers the lower nob of the dipstick. Since it uses no oil, that level remains steady till I change it again.

Are you folks now saying you read the instructions from Steve to mean, put in 5 qts, ride it around a bit, then top it off up to the top nob, or at least half way?

If so, what amount are we talking about here....6-8 oz?
    Last edited by ulflyer; 06-25-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Every since Lamont published back in '14 that the fill amount had been REDUCED and was now 5 qts (at least thats the way I read it) for the SE6 thats exactly what I've been doing. Dump the oil, bike level or sometimes front jacked up 10 inches, toss in 5 quarts, run engine awhile, and the level covers the lower nob of the dipstick. Since it uses no oil, that level remains steady till I change it again.

Are you folks now saying you read the instructions from Steve to mean, put in 5 qts, ride it around a bit, then top it off up to the top nob, or at least half way?

If so, what amount are we talking about here....6-8 oz?
    The bottom line is with the engine oil at full temp and after the sumps have had a chance to return all the oil to the oil tank. If the oil is between min and max that's good. If it's below min. add some. Overfilling is very bad.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-25-2015 at 11:36 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update Steve.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Possible Source of Confusion

Billy, you found another problem with all three 1330 engine manuals. The picture of the dipstick is wrong. Here's what a 1330 dipstick looks like. You can see, when filled with 5 qt the oil level comes to the center bulge, #2 (Min) level and we can see the remainder of the dipstick to the right that is covered in oil. Perhaps that is why the question of BRP providing a new dipstick arose. If one adds more than 5 qt the level would move to the left toward the #1 bulge that may be oil tank's capacity point. For me, seeing my 5 qt level at #2 I know I'm good and have no need to add more oil. If my oil level dropped below #2 I would begin adding to bring it to at least #2 but probably would not add more. Any addition that brings the level more toward #1 is no harm no foul as long as one doesn't fill past #1. JMO Five and go!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

why is everything on these machines so tedious and complicated.
    how much oil does the engine/tranny require, 5qrts. fine, drain oil, refill with 5qrts.
    check oil, can't, why, must go for ride (9miles) to bring oil to operating temps, now check
    oil, NOT YET, why must let bike idle for ten minutes then shut off and within 2 minutes check oil.
    but the dip stick is impossible to read.

i enjoy riding my RTS, but holypoly i just learn yesterday that for the last 3 months
    i've been checking the oil level WRONG. i wasn't letting it idle for 10 minutes,

ok, rant over, RYDE ON

3,2,1, flame on

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Oil,
    No-one said anything about oil when i bought my Spyder.
    These things need oil.