Spyder Garage

Angry Need Help Swapping UFit Settings

My husband and I just recently brought home our new F3 (Yay!)

We were hoping to share the bike between us and thought the new Ufit system would be a great way to make it work. He's 6' 1" and I'm 5' 2" on a good day! We got the bike and the dealer didn't know what the pegs were initially set at but I could reach and he could drive (uncomfortably). The first thing we did when we got home was figure out where the pegs were currently set (3 position) and ordered the links up for the 5 spot and the 2 spot.

Everything arrived today and hubby headed off to the garage to swap it out to the 5 spot and take it for a spin. Not the easy 10 min swap the video we watched said it would be and it doesn't seem like there's an easy or quick way to go back and forth because the instructions say the bolts and nuts need to be thrown away when swapping out. After shearing a few bolts off he's headed off to the hardware store for a torque wrench but I figured I'd check with you all to see if anyone has experience with this and if so have you found an easy way to swap between settings regularly without needing new hardware each time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Spyder Garage

First off, how tight are you going that you are shearing off bolts? all I have ever done is tighten till snug. I have stripped a few bolts tightening too tight.

Second, the initial setup is a little long, but after, it's just changing out the bar. you can save the bolts and reuse them. just every few times put some Loctite on them to prevent them from backing out in the long run.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Based on the info that came with everything you're supposed to tighten to 89 lbs in-had the torque wrench set to 80 and they're breaking in half even at that lower setting. If you just tighten to snug they're not in all the way and rattle around. Just want to be sure neither one of us as at risk of losing the brakes when we're out on this thing.
    Last edited by AK_009; 06-22-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

After riding around with the stock configuration for several weeks because none of the area dealers had the brake linkages when I bought my F3, I did find the +2 linkage and moved the pegs forward. I did install the new bolts that came with the longer linkage. Six weeks or so later, in the parking lot at the Best Western at Spyderfest, I stripped out the heads of both bolts on the RH peg, when I was trying to remove it so I could install the floorboards I bought at Pitbull. Rode home from Spyderfest with the floorboard on the LH side and the peg on the RH side. I had to drill off the heads of the two bolts once I got home. So yes, I've had some issues with the U-fit system hardware. Since they're intended to be removable, I think the bolts should have been cap screw bolt heads versus the button heads. A T30 Torx head would have been nice, too. At least I could still ride it that way. I'd go a little easier on the blue loctite than BRP did, and wouldn't have an issue re-using any of the hardware, assuming it all survives the removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AK_009 View Post
    Based on the info that came with everything you're supposed to tighten to 89 lbs in-had the torque wrench set to 80 and they're breaking in half even at that lower setting. If you just tighten to snug they're not in all the way and rattle around. Just want to be sure neither one of us as at risk of losing the brakes when we're out on this thing.
    89 inch lbs of torque is not very much. No where near enough to twist off any bolts. I would guess that your wrench is in foot lbs. If so it should be set to 7.5 foot lbs.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AK_009 View Post
    Are you using a 1/4" torque wrench set at 80 inch pounds or are you using a 3/8" or 1/2" set at 80 foot pounds. You should be using the 1/4" I did mine a few weeks ago and had no problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstngken View Post
    Are you using a 1/4" torque wrench set at 80 inch pounds or are you using a 3/8" or 1/2" set at 80 foot pounds. You should be using the 1/4" I did mine a few weeks ago and had no problems.
    1/4" set to just over 8 N m, or about 71 lb of force per inch.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My next guess would be that your wrench is way out of spec and over torqing the bolt unless you just happen to have bad bolts when I did mine it took very little force and my wrench clicked and I always release and click a 2nd time.

Spyder Garage

What are the odds....looks like we had a faulty wrench!

Turned it all the way down and it still didn't budge. Thanks to all for jumping in with your advice-hopefully my next post won't be quite as embarrassing!

Spyder Garage

glad we could help troubleshoot.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately others have run into the same issue with in vs lb in torque when they document
    the items this way... with the same results. (One person cracked a grommet on the Saddlebag install).
    BRP should highlight that a bit more in their books just-in-case.
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Default That was me...

Thanks for bringing up the fact that I can't read... well...

Anyway, I ended up returning the bags so the evidence is gone.

I agree that the adjustment of the UFit system should be better. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'7" She's comfortable on peg position 3, and position 4 is Ok for her. However, I wanted to go to position 5. And get the long arm handlebars. There's no way she can do that.

The whole system could have been thought out better. I'm just waiting on her to declare "Fine! I'll get my own spyder!" Then I can do what I want!

Enjoy and have fun.
    2015 F3-S , Can-Am Red (Orange)

Spyder Garage

Default Best answer

Zackly! Get your wife her own spyder.

Those ufit systems are not designed for quick or frequent swaps.