Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50 R15 vs Yokohama S Drive 205/50 R15

Going to need a new rear tire on my 2012 RS soon. Doing some research and it looks like these tires both get good reviews and will work on the Spyder.

Any one here tried both and preffered one over the other?

Spyder Garage

Default I am trying the S Drive because,

I during my search noted some folks that complained of hydroplaning with the Kuhmo as it wore.

In fairness, others have commented the opposite on the Kuhmo regarding hydroplaning.

I have noted however no complaints on the S Drive, although admittedly fewer are running it.

Mine should be installed this week and we will be on a 4,000 mile trip next month, so I will too report my opinion.

I will say, aside from wear, I had no issues at all with any of the OEM Kendas on the rear of the Spyder. Near us the dealer charges about 300-400 for the Kenda tire and installation, and considering the mileage before it needs to be replaced adds up to approx. .20 per mile to operate the Kenda, I decided to try the S Drive. Also to me the S Drive has a similar tread design.

Good Luck.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO AGAIN

I GOT KUMHO'd AGAIN THIS PAST SATURDAY....
    MY 3rd KUMHO.... 2 ON MY
    '09RS/SE5 AND NOW ON MY F3-S....
    i 1st put a KUMHO on in early '09, i was probably the first 1 to do so, and i've never looked back... i will NOT put a Kenda back on... EVER AGAIN....
    do the KUMHO's hydro-plane....
    YUP... on a ride in Florida, we were witnessing 3 - 4" of rain per hr... my KUMHO had 30,000 miles on it, and YES it hydro'd when i tried taking off too fast... and also felt it slip when i went over the wide-white cross-walk lines which are plastic and very slippery when wet....
    other than that, theKUMHO's are excellent... and you'll get 3 - 5 times better mileage than from the OEM tires... BTW, all tires will hydro-plane under the conditions mentioned above...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

I am on my 4th Kumho and love them, but will be interested in your opinion of S Drive, especially after it has 20000 miles or more on it..
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

205/50-15?
    or
    205/55-15?
    That latter is within 1/10th of one percent of the OEM tire's overall diameter.
    If you go shorter; your speedometer will be off...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

HI Rob,

I just bought/ and had a dealer install a General Altimax RT 43 215/60 15 on my 2014RTS-SE6. I really like it. I have not ridden in the rain yet with the new tire.

The dealer who installed the tire was Land Air, I called them last week Wed. 17th and I got installed on Sat. 20th. I have not noticed a difference from Kenda( the original tire) and I am almost @ 6,000 miles.
    My original tire had 5,235 miles.
    Good luck,
    Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 06-22-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Deanna,

I'm going to have Walt's do my tire. Actually I'm due for an oil change so they are going to do both. Walt's is a nicer ride for me than Land Air and they are going to let me ride their F3 demo while the bike is being serviced. I'll check the General tire.

Right Bob.....55.............I have a typing problem, I'm not very good at it

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My new kumo should be in on Wednesday, and I am having it installed on my 2014 RT Thursday. I have just over 7k miles, and am in desperate need of a new one. We have a 560 mile road trip scheduled for Saturday. I will report back once I give it a chance.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    There are so many different tires available; I didn't know if you were going to try one that would seem to be completely different...

You've never watched me curse at my keyboard... two steps forward; 1&1/2 back...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-23-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Hi Deanna,

I'm going to have Walt's do my tire. Actually I'm due for an oil change so they are going to do both. Walt's is a nicer ride for me than Land Air and they are going to let me ride their F3 demo while the bike is being serviced. I'll check the General tire.

HI Rob, I went with the Can-Am dealer that could install my new tire the soonest. So I could keep riding, and not having my spyder in the shop for a long time, just for a tire install. let me know what you think about the General Tire, if you choose.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

My last tire was a Toyo, and I loved the wet traction it delivered. It lasted about 9000 miles. I now have the Ecsta and I have noticed that the wet traction is less impressive. The treadwear rating on the Kumho is 400 compared to 300 on the toyo so I am hoping to get 12000 out of it.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    My last tire was a Toyo, and I loved the wet traction it delivered. It lasted about 9000 miles. I now have the Ecsta and I have noticed that the wet traction is less impressive. The treadwear rating on the Kumho is 400 compared to 300 on the toyo so I am hoping to get 12000 out of it.

Just sayin'............
    Hmmm that's a lot less miles than others are reporting. You must ride it

My main reason for using something other than the Kenda is price. I'd like to think a different tire will get better mileage (maybe in the 15-20K range) but I can buy a Kumo for $82 delivered and the kenda is $189. That's just crazy. I don't really have any complaints about the stock Kenda. It has about 9000 miles on it and has been decent in my usage. I figure the Kumo can't be any worse, should get the same or more mileage and is a lot less $.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOYO'S

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post

Just sayin'............
    .....I have Toyo's T1R's 185/55-15's ( V-rated ) on the front and those suckers stick like glue wet and dry.........best front tire I've ever had on a Spyder.......and I only paid $57.00.....Mike

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ad Pro Caliber, In Vancouver Washington, mount my Kuhmo yesterday. Service tech. said it would last forever but warned me of the traction problems. I'm not a hot rodder nor do I ride much in the rain, so I don't think that this will be a problem for me. Was not happy with low miles I got on my factory tire.
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 06-24-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How far south east are you?

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    I during my search noted some folks that complained of hydroplaning with the Kuhmo as it wore.

In fairness, others have commented the opposite on the Kuhmo regarding hydroplaning.

I have noted however no complaints on the S Drive, although admittedly fewer are running it.

Mine should be installed this week and we will be on a 4,000 mile trip next month, so I will too report my opinion.

I will say, aside from wear, I had no issues at all with any of the OEM Kendas on the rear of the Spyder. Near us the dealer charges about 300-400 for the Kenda tire and installation, and considering the mileage before it needs to be replaced adds up to approx. .20 per mile to operate the Kenda, I decided to try the S Drive. Also to me the S Drive has a similar tread design.

Good Luck.
    Until 2 years ago I lived in Pewaukee Wi. Now live in Ventura Ca. I just put on a new tire last week on a 14 r s. Out the door $277.77 I too bought a Kenda. Did you get the tire from Cedar Creek ?I got 5200 miles on the first tire and I think the next one will be the Komho (? )

Spyder Garage

Default I opted for the Yokohama S Drive

Quote Originally Posted by olderman View Post
    Until 2 years ago I lived in Pewaukee Wi. Now live in Ventura Ca. I just put on a new tire last week on a 14 r s. Out the door $277.77 I too bought a Kenda. Did you get the tire from Cedar Creek ?I got 5200 miles on the first tire and I think the next one will be the Komho (? )
    for the rear and Federal EVO for the fronts. The fronts were cupping and had weights that ran 1/4 around the wheel so I am getting rid of them even though they had plenty of tread left. Very disappointed with the front tires cupping, was laser aligned when new. I honestly think they were from a bad batch since they required so much weight to balance.

The dealer I bought the Spyder from will not mount anything but the Kenda brand. I did locate another shop that will mount and balance them.

Im not far from Pewaukee, was in CA this winter, your weather is awesome most of the time. WI does have nice weather too, but only 18 days a year.....
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    205/50-15?
    or
    205/55-15?
    That latter is within 1/10th of one percent of the OEM tire's overall diameter.
    If you go shorter; your speedometer will be off...
    This is correct. I have the 205/50 15 and my speedometer is 2 mph over gps mph. For me I'm hoping to have less speed awards handed to me from state police this summer.

Sempert out,
    Sempyder out,

Spyder Garage

Default Here is a my new tire picture

Here is my new rear tire pictures: I have a General Altimax RT 43. Deanna
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Default 215/60R15 General Altimax RT43 Tire 94 T tire

Deanna777,

I'm considering a new big end tire for a 13' RT to replace the absolutely garbage Kenda.
    I used a Kumho AST on my 10' RSS and loved it though the specs on your General are better.

How does the General fair with the rear fender and are you seeing any speedo or ride differences?

Best,
    Y

Spyder Garage

I've had the Kumho on for about 10,000 miles. Don't like it.... too slippery from day one. Wear has been slightly better than OEM... which I got 8,000 miles off of.

Wish you could still buy the Toyo's....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax

I too am looking at the General Altimax RT43 for the rear as my stock tire is about wore out at 10,500 miles. I will be interested to see how it handles for you in wet weather driving and overall opinion of the tire, no clearance problems with the 215/60 R15 I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Here is my new rear tire pictures: I have a General Altimax RT 43. Deanna
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y-me View Post
    Deanna777,

I'm considering a new big end tire for a 13' RT to replace the absolutely garbage Kenda.
    I used a Kumho AST on my 10' RSS and loved it though the specs on your General are better.

How does the General fair with the rear fender and are you seeing any speedo or ride differences?

Best,
    Y
    Y, The "General" works well with the rear fender, there is about ( behind license plate to tire )2 to 3 inch clearance................top of tire to bottom of Trunk 5to 6 inch clearance. I do not feel any ride/ or Speedo differences. Get the "General" tire for your 13'RT.

On my original Kenda tire I had 5,824 miles. I bought my 2014RTS-SE6 last year on July 30th. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 06-29-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    I too am looking at the General Altimax RT43 for the rear as my stock tire is about wore out at 10,500 miles. I will be interested to see how it handles for you in wet weather driving and overall opinion of the tire, no clearance problems with the 215/60 R15 I assume?
    I had 5,824 miles on the original tire( Kenda) I have ridden on dirt/gravel roads with the new General Altimax RT43 tire on my spyder, I do not feel a difference, I do not get any vibrations. The spyder handles well.

Clearance........ behind license plate 2 - 3 inches............. top of tire to bottom of the trunk : 5to 6 inch clearance, you could set a soda can on top of the tire with no problem. Their is a lot of clearance, I definitely do like the tire, and I have not ridden in the wet weather yet. I will post when I can when I have ridden in the wet weather. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover