Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Analysis Report

At first blush the report below doesn't look too pretty. The XPS 5W-40 synthetic blend sheared down to a high 20 weight on the cSt 100C scale in just shy of 4,400 miles. I have since learned that small engine (and the ACE 1330 is a small engine) oils that share a wet clutch and gearbox are expected to shear down 20-30% in the first 1,500 miles and it then stabilizes. Since many of us are approaching the age of dirt and the oils we grew up with were nowhere near the quality of today's products, unless we are petroleum engineers we just assume the oil will continue to degrade until we have toast for motors. I am presently running 5 qt. of Mobil 1 10W-40 motorcycle oil and see how it performs over 4,400 miles and will probably consider having it analyzed without changing if it shows at least equal to the XPS at that distance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JayBros; 06-22-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: clarification
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am glad you posted that. I was not aware of the initial shearing. I am planning on running my BRP 5x40 semi oil for 5k before changing it. Probably just do a drain and fill since the last one was with a filter. Be interested if what you have found out holds true.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

its funny i have been a master technician for years and always change oil at 3000
    my 14 rt has 2800 miles on it i just check it and oil still looks like new and it has not used a drop in break in
    these engines run so clean just like the wifes new jeep oil change every 6000 now instead of 3000

Spyder Garage

Yeah, mine did not lose a drop in the first two oil changes and on the first home drain I let it to so for an hour and a half (lunch) before refilling. It's running as clear now as when I first got it while after the dealer 3K service there was some brown tint to it.

When you look at the metallurgy, machining and assembly tolerances and the advances in petroleum science the compounding of those factors, and probably several others we don't even hear about, that gets us to today's state of the art. Progress.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this information!
    I think that I will try BRP's synthetic oil at my next change... (About six weeks from now...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never heard of initial shear reduction being expected and normal. When I tested my Amsoil 10/40 after an 8,000 mile run to Alaska and back in my 2011 RT, it showed at the very high end of the 30 spec -- 12.06. I thought that was pretty darn good for the miles. And the V-twin is turning about twice as fast as the 1330. The wear and tear from the transmission would be the same but the engine counts in there, too. I don't like the idea of using a "blend" which is what BRP is now doing rather that their full synthetic. I put full synthetic Amsoil in my 1330 at 1,000 miles and just did it again after 3K additional. Now I'll run a longer distance (still not 9K). Maybe then I'll get it analyzed.

I used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil for about 100K in my Gold Wing and also in my 650 V-Strom. Good stuff as much as I can tell. I believe, but can't prove, my 'Wing used less oil with the Mobil 1 than when I ran Amsoil in it. That's based on how many additions I made on cross country trips. But I have no analysis or factual data to prove that. I would use it in the Spyder but it's only JASO MA1 not MA2. Since the V-twins had a few cases of clutch slipping, I don't want to take a chance on anything less than JASO MA2. Maybe the 1330's won't have that problem but I don't feel like taking a chance. I wish BRP would come out with hard, fast specs including JASO instead of just saying, "Trust us. Use our oil. It's really good."

Thanks for the informative post. And let us know how the Mobil 1 does. That will be an interesting comparison.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the test info - Used the Synblend on the first change at 3000

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    At first blush the report below doesn't look too pretty. The XPS 5W-40 synthetic blend sheared down to a high 20 weight on the cSt 100C scale in just shy of 4,400 miles. I have since learned that small engine (and the ACE 1330 is a small engine) oils that share a wet clutch and gearbox are expected to shear down 20-30% in the first 1,500 miles and it then stabilizes. Since many of us are approaching the age of dirt and the oils we grew up with were nowhere near the quality of today's products, unless we are petroleum engineers we just assume the oil will continue to degrade until we have toast for motors. I am presently running 5 qt. of Mobil 1 10W-40 motorcycle oil and see how it performs over 4,400 miles and will probably consider having it analyzed without changing if it shows at least equal to the XPS at that distance.
    I bought the kit with filter and oil from the dealer for the first change and changed the wifes 15 RTS as per the first service interval. Was thinking on going 5-6000 miles between changes after the first one. That was the first week of May. After a 2000 mile trip to Utah and her daily commute, she is approaching 9000 miles on the ODO this week and now with this info I need to get busy.

I noticed the oil was getting "dirty" but love the test numbers to give credence for a quicker change. Thanks to BajaRon, I have another two filters on hand, and just need to get the 5 quarts oil and should be able to knock it out tonight. I plan on using Rotella T-6 full synthetic based on previous use on my Honda, and see how that works also thinking about an analysis kit for solid numbers. Anyone have an analysis yet on the Rotella synthetic?

THanks to all for sharing and the great info/pics on oil changes. Don't you love oil threads? Makes you feel all warm and .....
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    I bought the kit with filter and oil from the dealer for the first change and changed the wifes 15 RTS as per the first service interval. Was thinking on going 5-6000 miles between changes after the first one. That was the first week of May. After a 2000 mile trip to Utah and her daily commute, she is approaching 9000 miles on the ODO this week and now with this info I need to get busy.

I noticed the oil was getting "dirty" but love the test numbers to give credence for a quicker change. Thanks to BajaRon, I have another two filters on hand, and just need to get the 5 quarts oil and should be able to knock it out tonight. I plan on using Rotella T-6 full synthetic based on previous use on my Honda, and see how that works also thinking about an analysis kit for solid numbers. Anyone have an analysis yet on the Rotella synthetic?

THanks to all for sharing and the great info/pics on oil changes. Don't you love oil threads? Makes you feel all warm and .....
    Would dearly love to see how the oil is rated at 9000 miles.
    Do us all a favor and collect some of your oil while its being drained and send it off for testing. Wix test kits, sold at NAPA and O'Reilly, as well as online, uses ALS Labs, a highly respected testing company.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Would dearly love to see how the oil is rated at 9000 miles.
    Do us all a favor and collect some of your oil while its being drained and send it off for testing. Wix test kits, sold at NAPA and O'Reilly, as well as online, uses ALS Labs, a highly respected testing company.
    Agree. That test would be great info.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change at 6,000 miles proposed (3,000 +6,000) = 9,000

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Agree. That test would be great info.

Sorry for the confusion. When I said 9,000 on the ODO I meant total miles with a 6,000 interval. I think I'll let someone else test the 9,000 INTERVAL
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ROTELLA T-6 FULL SYN

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post

I'm also using the Rotella T-6, haven't tested yet but will and Post results later after summer ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm also using the Rotella T-6, haven't tested yet but will and Post results later after summer ......Mike
    Mike, how far are you planning on running before the change? Thanks.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Mike, how far are you planning on running before the change? Thanks.
    5,000 MAX........IT'S FULL SYN , so I'm not worried.......Because I probably won't go more than 7,000 mi. total this season .....I'm just going to change the oil not the filter.....................After all BRP says the filter is good for 9300 mi...............But I don't trust the OIL that long.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Last year I ran the BRP semi to 6000 miles and had it tested. It tested well, but sheared to 20w. So it appears that you are correct in that it stabilizes.

I then switched to Mobil 10-40 full syn and at 6200 miles had it tested. It also tested well and only sheared down to 33w. I had no issues with my clutch so would not be afraid to run that in the 1330 motors.

I then switched to BRP full syn and Sunday changed it at 5900 miles. I sent that in Monday to be tested. When that test comes back I will post those findings.

I stayed with BRP full syn this time and most likely will put 9000 miles on it with my North to Alaska trip so I maybe the first to see how that oil tests out.

Stay tuned.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to the Amsoil site where they provide the data for their motorcycle oil. http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MCVQT-EA
    The site shows that Amsoil 20 - 50 Synthetic Motorcyle Oil IS JASO MA2 compliant. The page provides links to all of the testing data. It also provides a lot of information regarding application, useage, etc. In fact, the page provides quite a lot of information that you can use to determine if the oil is adequate for your personal requirements. No bull****, just the facts.
    Last edited by ricford; 07-29-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Duplicate post deleted.

Spyder Garage

Default Engine oil comparisons

I believe it was 10-15 yrs ago or more NYC did a comparison on engine oils on 3 mfg of taxi's at approx. 50,000 miles. NYC taxi's are ridden hard. The tore down the engines on 30 different cabs that used different mfg & types of oil. What they found was as long as the oil has the stamped API approval on the oil--there was barely any difference in engine wear on the Ford, Chevy, Chrysler taxi motors. Oil quality has vastly improved from earlier decades. I have a friend who races sport bikes in the 1/4 mi---last year he made the Guinness Book of records for the 1st street bike to break the 7 sec 1/4 mi--6.90 at 203 mph running heavy nitrous & he uses non synthetic motorcycle oil--
    Marketing technique plays a big part in the motor oil most people choose to use.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default READ ABOUT THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I believe it was 10-15 yrs ago or more NYC did a comparison on engine oils on 3 mfg of taxi's at approx. 50,000 miles. NYC taxi's are ridden hard. The tore down the engines on 30 different cabs that used different mfg & types of oil. What they found was as long as the oil has the stamped API approval on the oil--there was barely any difference in engine wear on the Ford, Chevy, Chrysler taxi motors. Oil quality has vastly improved from earlier decades. I have a friend who races sport bikes in the 1/4 mi---last year he made the Guinness Book of records for the 1st street bike to break the 7 sec 1/4 mi--6.90 at 203 mph running heavy nitrous & he uses non synthetic motorcycle oil--
    Marketing technique plays a big part in the motor oil most people choose to use.
    Actually I think it was Consumer Reports that did the study...........Don't forget the Spyder shares the engine oil with the Trans and it the trans that puts 80 % or more of the wear on the OIL........jmho.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Just a FYI. BRP XPS 5-40 is made with" 70% synthetic oil. Custom blended by Castrol using Mobil or Shell base stock". I am quoting Shawn Smoak A certified Tech who just returned from a seminar held by BRP. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP oil is made by Castrol; using stuff from either Mobil or Shell...

That leaves a lot of room, for spreading the blame around!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    BRP XPS 5-40 is made with" 70% synthetic oil. Custom blended by Castrol using Mobil or Shell base stock". I am quoting Shawn Smoak A certified Tech. Tom
    Not picking on Tom here; but Shawn Smoak's quote raises an interesting questions for this Spyder newB:
    1. If the XPS bled is 70% synthetic, why not use the XPS full synthetic??????,
    2. If it is made specifically for BRP by Castrol, why not use the Castrol RS4T 10W-40????????
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as Question #1: perhaps pricing???
    What's the price difference between the blended juice, and the fully "fake" stuff?

Spyder Garage

Default BRP OIL

" 70 % " ?????.................personally I wouldn't bet on that...jmho....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How important is it for an oil to be MA2 certified if you are going to use it in the 1330 SE6 setup????
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Not picking on Tom here; but Shawn Smoak's quote raises an interesting questions for this Spyder newB:
    1. If the XPS bled is 70% synthetic, why not use the XPS full synthetic??????,
    2. If it is made specifically for BRP by Castrol, why not use the Castrol RS4T 10W-40????????
    Mike
    On BITOG forum, over the years, I have read many comments about blends being as little as 10% and a few at 30%. Just wondering if the BRP rep got his numbers backwards and that their Blend is 70% conventional, 30% syntetic?

Edited to add: Just found his Utube video on another thread and see that he is a mechanic at a BRP dealer, not a BRP Rep.
    I found his comments to be highly suspect, particularly that BRP Blend oil is 70% synthetic. If that were so, it would make no sense for BRP to even offer a full synthetic, or for customers to buy it considering the price.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 08-17-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)