Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT Frustration

Hello
    how many 2013 RT owners have had issues with their bike related to the heat recall?
    if you have had these issues would you be willing to have a discussion concerning the symptoms and resolution?

You can PM me if you are more comfortable. Thank you in advance

Spyder Garage

What sort of troubles are you having with your 2013RT post recall?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beuti View Post
    Hello
    how many 2013 RT owners have had issues with their bike related to the heat recall?
    if you have had these issues would you be willing to have a discussion concerning the symptoms and resolution?

You can PM me if you are more comfortable. Thank you in advance
    What are the specific issues you are wondering about or experiencing?

This sounds like a fishing expedition the way it is stated.

Are you trying to work up a lawsuit?

So far, all the owners that have had the heat issue recall performed have written positive about it. I note in your previous posts you mentioned you had a few weeks wait before yours was going in.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-22-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's the story?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Reads to me like this is a case where the written words don't quite describe what the thoughts in the head are.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    What are the specific issues you are wondering about or experiencing?

This sounds like a fishing expedition the way it is stated.

Are you trying to work up a lawsuit?

So far, all the owners that have had the heat issue recall performed have written positive about it. I note in your previous posts you mentioned you had a few weeks wait before yours was going in.
    No it was not a lawsuit expedition it was a I want to be safe and I was getting a different story from every technician and customer service rep I spoke with so I did not want to sacrifice my safety

I am one person there have had a lot of questions about the recall and whenever I don't get a straight answer I seek information from people who may be in the same situation as I was experiencing.

If I was seeking a lawsuit I would not have contacted the person selling or working for the company.

Thanks for the vote of confidence that I can trust my safety and feel OK asking an honest question. That's why I said pm so as not to cause an uproar. I'm not an inflammatory person if you look back since I have owned this brand and I have had my share of issues never once broadcasting in a negative way so I'll chalk it up to you not knowing me but I think anyone would have been offended by your tone. It's a shame the times we live in we have to be so careful as to jeopardize our health and finances because everybody is looking to capitalize. If im dead or maimed all the money from a law suit does me NO good.

I want to ride not get injured or have my bike in shop for months every few weeks because they are not fixing the problem.

Spyder Garage

No it was not a lawsuit expedition it was a I want to be safe and I was getting a different story from every technician and customer service rep I spoke with so I did not want to sacrifice my safety

I am one person there have had a lot of questions about the recall and whenever I don't get a straight answer I seek information from people who may be in the same situation as I was experiencing.

If I was seeking a lawsuit I would not have contacted the person selling or working for the company.

Thanks for the vote of confidence that I can trust my safety and feel OK asking an honest question. That's why I said pm so as not to cause an uproar. I'm not an inflammatory person if you look back since I have owned this brand and I have had my share of issues never once broadcasting in a negative way so I'll chalk it up to you not knowing me but I think anyone would have been offended by your tone. It's a shame the times we live in we have to be so careful as to jeopardize our health and finances because everybody is looking to capitalize. If im dead or maimed all the money from a law suit does me NO good.

I want to ride not get injured or have my bike in shop for months every few weeks because they are not fixing the problem.
    We have talked by PM and glad to hear everything is looking up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to try and minimize the impact of your concerns; but perhaps it's just time to:

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I rode mine from home, in the West Virginia Eastern Panhandle to Tuscon AZ and back in April, pre-recall. I wasn't going to let fear make me park it in the garage.

I've given it a good workout since the recall and am convinced that BRP got it right . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I got the recall work done on my 2013 RTL, and I can tell you that it really makes a difference. Rode 80 miles today in 80+ degrees & NO heat, NO gas fumes. If fact when I would stop, I would takes my gloves off and feel the body panels, and they were cool to the touch. If you haven't gotten this done, do it. It costs you nothing but time.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

No longer have thigh burn (wearing shorts) from heat eminating from the gas door on my corbin saddle. I was using a small towel to prevent this prior to the recall. I no longer need to do this. Oh. I've been riding in 96 degree Flarda humid weather.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What recall? I was at the local dealer on Friday and they acted like they never heard of a heating issue or the stink of gasoline. They told the gas smell issue was my fault. I overfilled the tank, "You should never fill the tank up on a Spyder" and "You are lugging the engine to much". They sure took care of my issues. LOL They denied then lied and blamed me for the problem. Great dealer involvement and help!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default your year?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's_Spyder View Post
    What recall? I was at the local dealer on Friday and they acted like they never heard of a heating issue or the stink of gasoline. They told the gas smell issue was my fault. I overfilled the tank, "You should never fill the tank up on a Spyder" and "You are lugging the engine to much". They sure took care of my issues. LOL They denied then lied and blamed me for the problem. Great dealer involvement and help!
    Jim - is yours a 13 RT ? If so, search this forum, print out the recall info, and re-visit your "Dealer"...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Jim - is yours a 13 RT ? If so, search this forum, print out the recall info, and re-visit your "Dealer"...
    I was being sarcastic. No mine is a 2013 ST, it reeks of gas fumes, the left side panel burns your leg the right foot well is well over 130/145 degrees. Yesterday I was riding and and was low on gas. I pulled over and the gas tank was so hot that the gas cap would only click, the cap was stuck. I had to wait overnight for it to cool off enough to put gas in it. I think that might be a flaw! I tried pouring cold water over it last night and it didn't help.
    I have been to two local dealers and called the factory tech line and they acted like they had never heard of any issues. I'm just sick of the lying, denying and blaming me for not riding it correctly. I know the smell of raw fuel and I also even at my advanced age can still feel the sensation of heat.
    Last edited by Jim's_Spyder; 07-06-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Updated info

Spyder Garage

If you own a 2013 RT you were sent a letter from BRP with instructions to get the recall work performed. It covered ALL 2013 RTs no matter where they were sold. If for some reason you did not get the notice from BRP, go to the NHTSA web site and print yourself a copy of the notice from there. Give it to your dealer and ask that the work be performed. If they refuse, let the NHTSA know. They will not be a BRP dealer long refusing to perform safety recalls ordered by the DOT.

While the denials were common place up until may of this year when the letters went out, its pretty much ceased with BRP admitting fault and providing the solution.

Get your bike fixed.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If you own a 2013 RT you were sent a letter from BRP with instructions to get the recall work performed. It covered ALL 2013 RTs no matter where they were sold. If for some reason you did not get the notice from BRP, go to the NHTSA web site and print yourself a copy of the notice from there. Give it to your dealer and ask that the work be performed. If they refuse, let the NHTSA know. They will not be a BRP dealer long refusing to perform safety recalls ordered by the DOT.

While the denials were common place up until may of this year when the letters went out, its pretty much ceased with BRP admitting fault and providing the solution.

Get your bike fixed.
    I was never sent the letter. A few months ago I contacted BRP and sent them all the information they asked for via email to update my ownership information. I never heard back from them, I checked with the dealer on Friday. All they need is me to bring my information in to change me to the owner in the system. That still doesn't explain why at the dealership when I showed them my VIN and asked about the heating issue I got the blame, denial and was basically blown off. It sounds like I'm whining, but I'm just mad, when a piece of equipment burns your leg and feet, reeks of gas, gets so hot the gas cap won't come and two dealerships deny an issue off it kind of pisses me off. But that's just me. I did get the RT and ST mixed up. I have the ST and it needs the panels replaced and the dealership should know that by now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default st hijack, sorry

Jim, have a look on the ST airflow panels thread, post 337 (I think) gives you the 2 page part numbers for the replacement air duct kit. Vin nos won't show up at the dealer because it is not a safety recall (for ST) but a goodwill fix available for all 2013 ST's. Take in the pages, ask the dealer and you should get the panels (via BRP). Certainly solved my gas tank boiling issue.

Spyder Garage

Default ST PANELS

Jim I have a '13 ST-S and had my panels replaced last August with the 2014 panels. This was done under warranty at no cost to me. You need to call or email BRP and request a case #, then present it to your dealer. The new panels and a re flash of the ECM should solve your heat and gas fumes problems.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the vote of confidence that I can trust my safety and feel OK asking an honest question. That's why I said pm so as not to cause an uproar. I'm not an inflammatory person
    beuti,

OK, that clears that up. My 2013 is not scheduled to go into the shop until next week for the recall. Since I had already done a lot to mitigate the worst of the heat, I didn't feel the need to "rush it to the shop" for the recall. But between the mods I've already done, and everyone's positive reports after having the recall done, I'm not personally concerned about the "2013 heat issue" anymore.

So, getting this thread back on track, let's talk about what remaining concerns you have since the recall has been issued. If you can specify what specific concerns you still have, you may find others with the same concerns. Have you had the recall done yet?
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-07-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat