Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 SM-6 Clutch Issue

As we were completing our "break-in" run from PA through Ontario over to Lake Superior and back, I noticed the clutch lever didn't "feel right". At first I thought is was my imagination but then as it worsened, I realized it was not my imagination. It's not returning to it's fully disengaged position. At first I thought the clutch solenoid valve was acting up but it felt exactly the same whether the engine was running or not. Trying to push the lever further forward just resulted in opening up the lever position adjustment mechanism. The last two days home, about 600 miles, I knew it wasn't right. I took it to the dealer the next day and on the way down, I was able to make it slip a little when it should have been fully engaged. So of course a key question is, was it slipping even a tiny imperceptible amount during my last several days on the road?

The tech found one of the pivot pins in the lever was seriously binding. Now that is a strange one. It was binding so tight that the clutch would not fully release. He properly pulled the clutch itself apart to check for damage and did find a slight amount of oxidation on the plates so he and BRP agreed to replace the entire clutch as well. The Brembo master cylinder comes as a complete unit with the lever, micro switch, pivot pin-pushrod, etc all assembled and not to be taken apart. The new unit feels great and all is good again. I'm really glad they did the clutch, too, so there is no doubt about whether it suffered damage or not and could start acting up thousands of miles from now.

The clutch M/C on my 2011 was for all purposes very similar and went 40K thru all kinds of weather with no problem. This one didn't make 4K. I'm sure it's a true one-off rare event but it is really weird. Nothing high-tech or complicated here. A silly little pivot pin/bushing probably cost BRP over a $1,000 in repairs. I'll try to keep it lubed in the future but since you can't disassemble it like my other bikes, all you can do is try to get a little lube on the pivot from the outside in. The maintenance manual would have you never do anything to it.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS ISSUE

Thanks for this info.............There is an " Analogy " here, BRP knows about the RT " windshield arm " breakage issue. The fix, if under warranty is approx. $ 750.00------if they corrected the part ( with a modified sand casting ) it would cost them maybe nothing. Have they done this " NO ", why ?, who knows...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As bad as this could have been for you...
    There seems to be a whole lot of "good"...
    You've got a GREAT dealer, got right on the problem quickly, contacted BRP, and they quickly okayed a complete replacement.
    Here's to hoping that everything is now set to go the distance for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for this info.............There is an " Analogy " here, BRP knows about the RT " windshield arm " breakage issue. The fix, if under warranty is approx. $ 750.00------if they corrected the part ( with a modified sand casting ) it would cost them maybe nothing. Have they done this " NO ", why ?, who knows...Mike
    I'm all too familiar with your analogy. My 2011 RT had the W/S arm fail twice, once after only 8,000 miles. Once leaving us stranded on the Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi. Found a really helpful dealer in Nashville and rode 200 miles with the broken strut, fortunately almost all on the Natchez which is a nice, quiet 50mph road. Spent an unplanned night in Nashville and the dealer air-shipped the strut from the BRP warehouse in Georgia and had us on the road the next day.

I'm optimistic that the difference here is that the clutch M/C is made by Brembo, not BRP. If Brembo can't make a decent master cylinder, who can? That's the basis for my expectation that this was truly a one-off, rare event. In addition to the fact that I've never read of this particular failure on any SM Spyder anywhere, many of which have similar or nearly identical clutch master cylinders. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I do have a beautiful Australian windshield strut in my possession. I'll put more miles on the 2014 (only 4K currently) before I install it but eventually will put it in.

And yes, Bob, my dealer is very good. Blackman's in Emmaus, PA.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR NEW ARM

gypsy 100, I agree Brembo is probably more reliable than Taiwan as far as R&D goes and Quality........On the ARM thing, if you are going to do it, I know the directions said to take off the gear end..................Well from personal experience it's much easier and safer to take the MAGNET end off.....just mark where it was positioned on the shaft........Mike

Spyder Garage

Out of curiosity I would like to know how you determined that the clutch master cylinder was made by Brembo?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Out of curiosity I would like to know how you determined that the clutch master cylinder was made by Brembo?
    It was stamped on it somewhere. I think the inside of the cap if you pull the rubber diaphragm out. There's nothing on the outside and I know I was really surprised when I saw it. Guess I should have recorded it for posterity. Next time I check the fluid, which will be a while, I'll look again and let you know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    gypsy 100, I agree Brembo is probably more reliable than Taiwan as far as R&D goes and Quality........On the ARM thing, if you are going to do it, I know the directions said to take off the gear end..................Well from personal experience it's much easier and safer to take the MAGNET end off.....just mark where it was positioned on the shaft........Mike
    Thanks. I'll take a hard look at that when the time comes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    It was stamped on it somewhere. I think the inside of the cap if you pull the rubber diaphragm out. There's nothing on the outside and I know I was really surprised when I saw it. Guess I should have recorded it for posterity. Next time I check the fluid, which will be a while, I'll look again and let you know.
    Well that's interesting to know. They may have changed suppliers. The reason I say that is a while back on the old Spyder Mates board there was a discussion on this for an older RT. It was determined it was made by a US company, but I don't remember it being Brembo.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well that's interesting to know. They may have changed suppliers. The reason I say that is a while back on the old Spyder Mates board there was a discussion on this for an older RT. It was determined it was made by a US company, but I don't remember it being Brembo.
    You guys. I wouldn't do this for just anybody.

My 2011 RT certainly looked the same but I don't recall seeing the Brembo name inside. Must have, though, 'cause everything looked identical -- lever, pivot pins, cap, inside ledge for defining fluid level, etc. RS's could be different. Anyway, this is what's on a 2014.
    Attached Images Attached Images