Spyder Garage

Default Has this happened to anyone, or not uncommon?

I took my Spyder into the city today, pulled over to grab something at corner store was in maybe 5 minutes but when came out was not a lot but enough too be concerned about antifreeze laying underneath. At first was thinking its not from mine but certainly was. I rode too my appointment five minutes away and it wasn't running hot, and wasn't prior too my knowledge. But I looked around and was dripping barely from right side of bike, and the rad cap was about quarter turn to clicking in place. Once heading home I watched it closely temp was fine I didn't add any water or coolant. But recall having a similar issue with my ski-doo. Does this sound familiar and a hint that rad cap may give me some problems? Thanks Doug

Spyder Garage

Take a real good look at your coolant tank. Mine split due to heat on the GS. Was at a Harley event and had to be towed away. Now that sucks.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post
    Take a real good look at your coolant tank. Mine split due to heat on the GS. Was at a Harley event and had to be towed away. Now that sucks.
    Yeah Im sure that would suck being bugged I know my Shirley-Davidson buds would be bugging me. Im not familiar with how big the tank is will have a close look tho, but did it drop all the coolant or just a bit? Like said appeared that after tightened cap it didn't leak any more out. Ill top it off and try again after a closer look Thanks D

Spyder Garage

The only time mine did that was after I checked the coolant lever and failed to reinstall the cap properly. It finally boiled over after riding from Atlanta, GA to almost Raton, NM. It puke a little the last two fuel stops, so I bought some 50/50 pre-mix, so when it boiled over I was prepared. After refilling the reservoir, I knew why it boiled over when I put the cap on & got it right. When I had checked it before the trip, I really struggled to get it on (BIG hands, tight spot), & foolishly decided it was on good enough, when it really wasn't.

Bottom line for me, if I'd gotten it right the first time, I'd never have had the problem.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The caps sure aren't easy to get on and off, designed by engineers with teeny, tiny hands. I'd be willing to bet that now that you have the cap on properly you shouldn't have any more issues.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post
    Take a real good look at your coolant tank. Mine split due to heat on the GS.
    The '08 and '09 GS's, had a problem with splitting coolant tanks at the center seam. They redesigned the tank at that time. My '08 GS just let go last week, after seven yrs. I had them order one, and check with BRP to see if they would cover it, but that was a no go. Just replaced it yesterday.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUCK SPYDER View Post
    I took my Spyder into the city today, pulled over to grab something at corner store was in maybe 5 minutes but when came out was not a lot but enough too be concerned about antifreeze laying underneath. At first was thinking its not from mine but certainly was. I rode too my appointment five minutes away and it wasn't running hot, and wasn't prior too my knowledge. But I looked around and was dripping barely from right side of bike, and the rad cap was about quarter turn to clicking in place. Once heading home I watched it closely temp was fine I didn't add any water or coolant. But recall having a similar issue with my ski-doo. Does this sound familiar and a hint that rad cap may give me some problems? Thanks Doug
    My 2013 ST-Limited leaked from the water pump and the WP seals were replaced under warranty.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is also a screw clamp under the coolant tank that comes loose. If you take off the inspection cover on the right side you should be able to access it. (Same cover as the oil check one but the other side).
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

The highwayman 2013 is right on , My leak was at that clamp to, a few turns with screw driver stopped that leak on my 2014 rss
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The caps sure aren't easy to get on and off, designed by engineers with teeny, tiny hands. I'd be willing to bet that now that you have the cap on properly you shouldn't have any more issues.
    Well hope that's all it was, Im sure that's the same tank that's on my 2004 Ski-doo similar for sure. I know metal too plastic doesn't last. Know seen on sleds they become problematic. Once I ride it see if it happens again

Spyder Garage

Same here, had a slight leak tightened that same clamp. No more leak.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There is also a screw clamp under the coolant tank that comes loose. If you take off the inspection cover on the right side you should be able to access it. (Same cover as the oil check one but the other side).
    Will Do Thanks Doug

Spyder Garage

MY 2013 RT leaked in the same area. Turns out is was the water pump impeller, which took 3 1/2 weeks to get. BRP supply chain is pathetic.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUCK SPYDER View Post
    I took my Spyder into the city today, pulled over to grab something at corner store was in maybe 5 minutes but when came out was not a lot but enough too be concerned about antifreeze laying underneath. At ace
    it happened to my previous 2014 STL, but in garage during winter time.
    called dealer, asked to add specific color of coolant, and then he changed the cap ,after that was good to go..he said it was a known default in cap.

F3S - 2015 magnesium (BR windshield, heated grip, USB, extra 12 V, Zumo 590), backrest, saddlebags, floorboards. Laser alignment.
    ST Limited 2014
    Bajaron Sway-bar
    laser alignmet

Spyder Garage

Also, be aware there are two detents on the coolant cap. If you feel one click, you haven't completely tightened it . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Also, be aware there are two detents on the coolant cap. If you feel one click, you haven't completely tightened it . . .
    I'm guessing you were correct? That said not sure why my cap would have been not clicked all the way cause spyder never dropped any antifreeze before. Took if for 100km/60mile run today and stopped few times no leaks. I certainly checked all other suggestions nothing panned out. At this point must have came out the over flow? I know it has never ran hot and that morning was under 70f/20c so no way it was hot. Hopefully doesn't happen again...D

Spyder Garage

Hope it was permanently resolved!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Might have found the Gremlin? Was few months ago when I started this link, I did top off my coolant back then and have had out few times since with no issues. But before a run today I gave it a once over air pressure in tires checked oil and so on. Then pulled the little cover off to have a look at coolant level was all good except the cap was a little too the left wasn't snugged up too the right. Know for sure last time checked and topped it off double checked it too make sure was clicked in place. But im guessing with just vibration and heat/pressure it slowly backs it self off and if keeps going till eventually spurts some out the over flow? Will check that again in due time maybe that's the culprit not sure D