Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Video How To: How to control your iPod/iPhone

I still see a lot of questions on how to control your iPod/iPhone from your handlebars and your dash on the Spyder RT.

In fact got this question just today so decided to make a video

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Seems youtube WASHED OUT the quality of my video

It looked great on my PC but once youtube did it's thing to it, the screen does not look so good

I may reshoot this again later. Dang....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Thanks for video Bob. If you try recording in darker garage it might come out better? I was already playing with mine and understood even though washed out. Hitting right was the only thing I was missing and now get it.
    Regards, Dave.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Great, thank you. My 5th Gen iPod Nano works perfectly as you show it!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I still see a lot of questions on how to control your iPod/iPhone from your handlebars and your dash on the Spyder RT.

In fact got this question just today so decided to make a video

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Bob

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Excellent video...very helpful.

Dumb question time: Is it safe to assume this is for a device hard wired in the trunk, and not bluetooth?

Dumb question #2: With a Sena SMH10 playing music from in Iphone via bluetooth.....is there a way to control the music on the screen? I generally play playlists when I am riding with the phone secured in jacket pocket. After the Iphone times out, I am unable to change the music via voice command. I generally wear a full helmet and tend to rely on the Sena rather than the Spyder speakers.

Dumb question #3: Are the phone holders safe? I would hate to hit a bump in the road only to see my iPhone fly off and be run over by the 47 cars behind me.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Mike on a Trike

Dumb question #3: Are the phone holders safe? I would hate to hit a bump in the road only to see my iPhone fly off and be run over by the 47 cars behind me.[/QUOTE]

I've had a RAM X-Holder that has carrier my iPhone for 10k or so miles, never a slip. At first I carried it horizontally to ensure it couldn't slip through the holder, but after a while I changed it to hold it vertically. There is enough tension and friction in the rubber grips that the phone even stayed in my Kawasaki when I laid it down.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

In YouTube under Video Management

Did you try using the "Enhancement" option?

AJ
    Seems youtube WASHED OUT the quality of my video

It looked great on my PC but once youtube did it's thing to it, the screen does not look so good

I may reshoot this again later. Dang....

Bob

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Whether going to the speaker or going to Bluetooth, or going to both the operation of an iPhone would be the same

IF

It is connected via the adapter in the Trunk.

An iPhone connected STRICTLY via bluetooth to a headset or an SM10 would not be recognized by the Spyder. It must be connected to the Spyder via hard wire.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike on a Trike View Post
    Excellent video...very helpful.

Dumb question time: Is it safe to assume this is for a device hard wired in the trunk, and not bluetooth?

Dumb question #2: With a Sena SMH10 playing music from in Iphone via bluetooth.....is there a way to control the music on the screen? I generally play playlists when I am riding with the phone secured in jacket pocket. After the Iphone times out, I am unable to change the music via voice command. I generally wear a full helmet and tend to rely on the Sena rather than the Spyder speakers.

Dumb question #3: Are the phone holders safe? I would hate to hit a bump in the road only to see my iPhone fly off and be run over by the 47 cars behind me.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Another question

While these questions are being asked, can my wife pair her iPhone independently to her headset from mine? We have smh10 headsets, and sm10 dongle/Bluetooth transmitter, and will if this can be done will the intercom still work between us.
    Any help on this would be great.
    Dan
    2014 RTS Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scugog58 View Post
    While these questions are being asked, can my wife pair her iPhone independently to her headset from mine? We have smh10 headsets, and sm10 dongle/Bluetooth transmitter, and will if this can be done will the intercom still work between us.
    Any help on this would be great.
    Dan
    Yes you can bind her phone to her headset and the intercom and SM10 dongle will still be fine.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Great info Bob,
    I never understood that you go "right" to select the song, I usually get it to work through trial and error but this clears it right up.

Thanks again,

Spyder Garage

Default ipod

Thank You Bob. Great job right to the point not dragged out and gives full informative Ipod usage .
    Love great informative vidios
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bob. Great info, I'll test mine out, not sure what gen it's but getting old, but still works.
    I just usually keep mine on shuttle songs and take a chance - LOL!
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

Great video. I also have a couple dumb questions. #1 How are your control lights blue? Mine are all orange colored. #2 Where did you get the dash screws?

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another dumb music-related question: I've done searches here for "Android" and have yet to find anything that makes sense to me as far as whether or not you can operate an MP3 device other than a branded iPod/iPhone (i.e., an Android phone) through the dash controls via the hard wire in the trunk. Can anyone give me the short answer to "is it even possible to do so?"

I'm not interested in using a bluetooth headset to listen to music. If I can't play music through the on-board system, I'm perfectly happy to skip music altogether. I haven't put a ton of effort into looking into this since I'm typically not that keen on listening to music while I'm riding, but a simple yes/no answer here would help a lot!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xBobbyx View Post
    Great video. I also have a couple dumb questions. #1 How are your control lights blue? Mine are all orange colored. #2 Where did you get the dash screws?
    2010-2011 the controls had blue lights. Later they changed them to orange.

For the screws here you go:

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminMeanie View Post
    Another dumb music-related question: I've done searches here for "Android" and have yet to find anything that makes sense to me as far as whether or not you can operate an MP3 device other than a branded iPod/iPhone (i.e., an Android phone) through the dash controls via the hard wire in the trunk. Can anyone give me the short answer to "is it even possible to do so?"

I'm not interested in using a bluetooth headset to listen to music. If I can't play music through the on-board system, I'm perfectly happy to skip music altogether. I haven't put a ton of effort into looking into this since I'm typically not that keen on listening to music while I'm riding, but a simple yes/no answer here would help a lot!
    Apple developed a control protocol which is proprietary to them thus only Apple devices have this level of control. For a Android device you use the AUX menu on the dash and can only skip forward or back songs, etc. So only basic MP3 player controls.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Apple developed a control protocol which is proprietary to them thus only Apple devices have this level of control. For a Android device you use the AUX menu on the dash and can only skip forward or back songs, etc. So only basic MP3 player controls.

Bob
    Thank you! Skipping forward/back is all I typically want to do if/when I'm listening to music while traveling.

Spyder Garage

2010-2011 the controls had blue lights. Later they changed them to orange.

For the screws here you go:

Bob
    Thanks Bob. I wish they kept the blue lights. I like those a lil better. Oh well. Thanks for the help. Still trying to get to know my new baby. Also,how did you mount your Ram Mount ball? Is that where you mount your phone? I like the placement.
    Last edited by xBobbyx; 08-03-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video
    2013 RT SE5
    Bajaron sway bar
    Bajaron heim links
    laser alignment from dealer
    Inspector Gadget floor boards
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Grip Puppies
    HEAT RECALL COMPLETED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xBobbyx View Post
    Thanks Bob. I wish they kept the blue lights. I like those a lil better. Oh well. Thanks for the help. Still trying to get to know my new baby. Also,how did you mount your Ram Mount ball? Is that where you mount your phone? I like the placement.
    Here are two videos about the RAM ball.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

You are Bob. Way to savvy for me. I'm not very good at DIY farkling so I'm not going to attempt it. I finally subscribed to your channel.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Finless for the video. Now I realize why my nano won't work with dash controls. I must have a MP3 cable and not Ipod cable. On my way to the store to get one. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

My iphone 5 was working perfectly as you described in the video. However, when Apple came out with their IOS 9.0, I cannot get my "aux screen" to show the iphone 5 as it had before. Is there some magic that I can perform to get this to show. I'm using the exact same connection as I have always used when it worked properly.

Chris [Edit: I guess my question is how do I get my spyder to recognize my iphone 5 viz a viz aux.]

Last edited by MouthPiece; 10-12-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

If your using the iPod connector then you don't use AUX. You select iPod on the dash.
    AUX is for a non-Apple devices when connected via the MP3 cable (a 3.5mm audio jack).

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black