Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Hi Bob:
    Thanks for getting back. I guess that's my problem. When I go to switch modes from FM, to AM to Weather/Marine, the next selection (and only selection) is "Aux". This is even while I have my Iphone hooked up to the connection. (sorry......I can't identify the name of that connection. It's on the right hand side and is the one that I've used to play my iphone through the spyder speakers since I bought my spyder. (2013 RT-S). This has not happened until Apple upgraded their operating system to 9.0. That's when I started having this problem.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Spyder Garage

You should use the iPod cable. That will be the connetor on the bottom of your 5S in the middle called the lightening connector. It' the one you use to connect the phone to your PC.
    This gives you the best functionality on the dash.

It's possible that on 9.0 Apple removed the ability to control music through the 3.5mm ear phone jack like a MP3 player. That I am not sure about. I have a iPod on 9.0.2 (latest) and will test it when I get a chance.

FYI iOS 9.0 had some bugs and the latest is 9.0.2. So you may want to make sure your on the latest.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Apple came out with a 9.1 operating system update and VOILA!!!! It, my iphone 5, is now working as it did. I'm able to switch songs now. Couldn't do that when Apple came out with 9.0, 9.01 and 9.02.

[Edit: Oh, and my screen now shows "Ipod" versus the Aux setting.]

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER UPDATE

I saw that my screen was going back to the "Aux" view when I had my iphone 5 hooked up. This occurred even after the Apple operating system update of 9.1. I did find though that if I shut my phone off and then turned back on, this would allow my motorcycle to "find" my iphone and register "Ipod" on that mode.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Another Phone Question

This topic is as good as any for this question. I have the 2015 SE6 with cb, radio, and Zumo 590. I have my phone blue toothed to my Zumo and I can hear when someone calls and I can tap Answer on the screen but I can't talk. They cannot hear me but I can hear them? Is this because I have a CB and it's taking the port? Also I am using an Android.

Thanks for any advice or workaround if anyone has any input.

Spyder Garage

Couple of things I learned the hard way regarding the Ipod controls that Bob so eloquently explains:

(1) These controls are disabled while the is moving.

(2) If you choose a single track, it repeats at the end rather than going to another track.

The hard lesson for me was I had to ride 27 miles while listening to "Another One Bites the Dust" over and over again

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Couple of things I learned the hard way regarding the Ipod controls that Bob so eloquently explains:

(1) These controls are disabled while the is moving.

(2) If you choose a single track, it repeats at the end rather than going to another track.

The hard lesson for me was I had to ride 27 miles while listening to "Another One Bites the Dust" over and over again

Pam
    A short press on the left or right button should move down or up a song and a long press up or down a playlist or album. Those functions still work while moving, at least on my 2013 RT they do. The only control that is disabled is the selection from the album/playlist list or song list that you get with the mode button.

There is a bug in the system that BRP knows about but doesn't plan to fix. Any time you do a long press after the ignition has been turned off, or after you start the bike, you will go to the first, or last, item in your playlist or album list.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 11-23-2015 at 10:35 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    A short press on the left or right button should move down or up a song and a long press up or down a playlist or album. Those functions still work while moving, at least on my 2013 RT they do. The only control that is disabled is the selection from the album/playlist list or song list that you get with the mode button.
    OK I'll check that out, thanks

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You should use the iPod cable. That will be the connetor on the bottom of your 5S in the middle called the lightening connector. It' the one you use to connect the phone to your PC.
    This gives you the best functionality on the dash.

It's possible that on 9.0 Apple removed the ability to control music through the 3.5mm ear phone jack like a MP3 player. That I am not sure about. I have a iPod on 9.0.2 (latest) and will test it when I get a chance.

FYI iOS 9.0 had some bugs and the latest is 9.0.2. So you may want to make sure your on the latest.

Bob
    Bob, I do have a question ............. when using the lightening connector, which socket in the trunk do you plug it into, the power socket on the left, or the Aux socket on the right? I have an iPhone 5 and don't really want to buy an adapter if I don't need it. May I call you about getting an intercom, I don't know what I need, or even what I'm sure I want. I've talked to Motorcycle Dave, and he suggested I talk to you.

Thanks,
    David

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

You will need an Adapter for the 5S to go from BRP 30 pin Spyder cable to Apple Lightening connector used on your 5S.
    Make sure you get a real Apple adapter as most the after market adapter charge only. They do not do "data" connection which is what the Spyder needs.

With your Spyder you should have gotten a cable for the port that is in the trunk on the right side.

Here are what the BRP iPod cables looked like. The one with the box in the cable is 2010-2012 and was later change mid 2012 and up for a cable with no box on it.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that Bob, makes sense to me. Maybe Bet Buy will have one, or the
    apple store.

Thanks,
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Thanks! I tried that and it works!

I guess it's time to go back and RTFM

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video..Learn something new everyday!

Spyder Garage

You will need an Adapter for the 5S to go from BRP 30 pin Spyder cable to Apple Lightening connector used on your 5S.
    Make sure you get a real Apple adapter as most the after market adapter charge only. They do not do "data" connection which is what the Spyder needs.

With your Spyder you should have gotten a cable for the port that is in the trunk on the right side.

Here are what the BRP iPod cables looked like. The one with the box in the cable is 2010-2012 and was later change mid 2012 and up for a cable with no box on it.

Bob
    Hey Bob, didn't someone list where they got their adapter, a lightning plug on one end, a short piece of cable, and the 30 pin on the other end? Do you remember the post? I can't find it, as he listed where he got his.

David

Spyder Garage

I am sure someone did somewhere here. That topic comes up a lot.

I would check Ebay and search for "lightening adapter". You can also go to the Apple store and get it but you will pay full retail.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob
    Hi Bob
    Do you know about when they made the change in 2012 model year? I have a 2012 RT Limited with the cable you show as MY12. I can not get my Ipod to read thru the system,all I get is AUX. I am wondering if I have the wrong cable. Thanks for all your time and effort and videos. You are really adding to the Spyder experience.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Hi Bob
    Do you know about when they made the change in 2012 model year? I have a 2012 RT Limited with the cable you show as MY12. I can not get my Ipod to read thru the system,all I get is AUX. I am wondering if I have the wrong cable. Thanks for all your time and effort and videos. You are really adding to the Spyder experience.
    I do not know but I am told if you read the serial number off the radio's label you can call BRP and they can tell you.

One thing I do know about the cable with the box. The older radio outputs 12V and thus the box in the cable was a regulator to drop that to 5V for the iPod. I think if you had the older radio with the new cable, it would fry the iPod or something else but I am not 100% sure on that since I won't try it! Apple may have protection on the iPod for just that.
    The other way around (new radio with old cable) for sure won't work.

So some questions for you to help solve this.

1) What iPod model do you have? Not all are compatible.
    2) When you plug it into the Spyder, does the iPod say it is charging when the key is on? This is important to know.
    3) Even though it says AUX, can you play music?
    4) The iPod must be ON when you turn the key on. If not the radio will default to AUX. Plugging the iPod in after the key is on will also default to AUX.
    The radio seems to need to see it as a iPod (not a MP3 player) when the key is turned on or it always defaults to AUX and the only way to switch it back to iPod is to turn the key off and back on.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black