Thread: F3 finally home

Spyder Garage

Default F3 finally home

Well it has been a long three months waiting for the hand brake and had decided to go to a local buesness to get something figured out. The friend that was going to ride the F3 from the dealer was looking it over and said lets stop by myplace as I think I have an idea. Sure enough 8 hours later Jim had the foot brake moved over to the other side and I now have my Spyder. It was to late to get much riding in last night but am heading out now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great news - fun times ahead for you - congrats
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE PEDAL MOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    Well it has been a long three months waiting for the hand brake and had decided to go to a local buesness to get something figured out. The friend that was going to ride the F3 from the dealer was looking it over and said lets stop by myplace as I think I have an idea. Sure enough 8 hours later Jim had the foot brake moved over to the other side and I now have my Spyder. It was to late to get much riding in last night but am heading out now.
    ...Please, please post some pics of this and any detailed info on how this was accomplished. Their are many Physically Challenged people who would be helped with this info. Thank you.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default And . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Please, please post some pics of this and any detailed info on how this was accomplished. Their are many Physically Challenged people who would be helped with this info. Thank you.........Mike
    . . . . . some of us Mentally Challenged could use it too.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Congrats and yes, PICS PLEASE!!!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

I have been riding the F3 for a couple of days now and we ran into a small issue with the rod that transfers the lever action from the right side to the left. I found yesterday that when you hit a man hole cover or a big enough bump the belt rubs the rod. I did take some pictures but I don't think this is going to be the final version.
    The way we did this was a manual shift linkage came with the short linkage that I wanted to move the pegs all the way back. using the manual shifter and linkage that runs down the left side fits into the plate that was welded to the end of the original brake linkage from the other side. the other end was heated and bent into the shape that when the shift lever is pushed the rod going accross rotates and pushes the brake actuator arm and applies the brake. As far as braking action I have no problem getting the full braking capacity of the F3 which I must say is substantial.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Ard; 06-21-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add information

Spyder Garage

Default THE BRAKE PEDAL CHANGE

Mike , Is it possible to also have the brake pedal on the right side ( OEM position ) or it's either one side or the other ?????

Spyder Garage

I think it would be possible to have the brake on both sides. All you would need to do is tie the original rod to the part that comes accross.

While we were crawling around under it yesterday it looked like you could fairly easily rig a hand brake to the actuator. That is for another time though.

Found out that we didn't allow for the belt movement so I was getting some rubbing when I hit bumps large enough, then with both my wife and I on there was enough deflection on the suspension that it rubs all the time so we didn't get out of the driveway with the wife. Will sort that all out tommorow and will post pictures when everything is sorted out.

After riding the F3 for a few days now I think I can safely say WOW, what a machine. I do have the BahaRon sway bar and the upgraded Fox Float shocks all the way around so that may be part of it but compared to my RS the handling on the F3 is just insane. Was cruising up a particularly tight curvy road yesterday and was amazed how well it did.

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE QUESTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    I think it would be possible to have the brake on both sides. All you would need to do is tie the original rod to the part that comes accross.

While we were crawling around under it yesterday it looked like you could fairly easily rig a hand brake to the actuator. That is for another time though.

Found out that we didn't allow for the belt movement so I was getting some rubbing when I hit bumps large enough, then with both my wife and I on there was enough deflection on the suspension that it rubs all the time so we didn't get out of the driveway with the wife. Will sort that all out tommorow and will post pictures when everything is sorted out.

After riding the F3 for a few days now I think I can safely say WOW, what a machine. I do have the BahaRon sway bar and the upgraded Fox Float shocks all the way around so that may be part of it but compared to my RS the handling on the F3 is just insane. Was cruising up a particularly tight curvy road yesterday and was amazed how well it did.
    ....Thanks for your patience with the questions.....If it would be possible to take a PIC / S of what this looks like mounted ( especially the under side , to see where the bottoming issue is ) that would be very, very helpful.........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're getting it all worked out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Thanks for your patience with the questions.....If it would be possible to take a PIC / S of what this looks like mounted ( especially the under side , to see where the bottoming issue is ) that would be very, very helpful.........Mike
    This is a picture of the belt and bar issue with my wife sitting on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Sorry that last picture uploaded upside down. The picture is of the bottom side of the belt.