Spyder Garage

Default iPod functioning question with 2015 RT Ltd audio

I've surfed the forum for what I'm going to ask, but I can't find a direct answer. I hope someone can help me, or minimally clear things up for me.

I have a 5th Gen iPod Nano connected to the audio system in the rear topcase via the iPod/iPhone connector supplied with the bike. The Operator's Manual shows the following:

I've connected my iPod but so far I am only able to play all of the music on my iPod, apparently in "name" sequence, -OR- select a playlist and then play the music within it, in what appears to be name sequence as well. The Spyder supplied instructions imply to me that I should be able to select by Album and Artist as well as Playlist. I have been completely unsuccessful in figuring out how to select my tunes by Album or Artist. If I'm reading the instructions correctly, I'm limited to the Left and Right buttons on the left-hand controls with either a push and hold for greater than once second or a shorter push. Can someone help me? I'd love to be able to select by Album and Artist as well as by "everything" and playlists.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

i can only chose a playlist and then toggle through songs or play all the songs in a random or by name sequence

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

My interpretation

It specifically says IF Playlist, Album, Artist, is selected.

I take this to mean selected on the iPod!

In fact if you select Artist on the iPod the control WILL change the artist, same holds true with Album.

Fact is most peeps select Playlist

and as you see you can remotely change the Playlist

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Works as the manual says with my I-phone 4S.

Spyder Garage

If you do not have your iPod music setup with META tags to organize them into Albums and Artists and just dumped all your music on the iPod, then you wont have those selections. An example of this is if you just ripped CD's and did not organize them to begin with, then all you really have on your iPod is a bunch of songs with song names.

Also Playlists have to be made by you in iTunes.

I had this problem when I first setup my iPod. All my music was untagged and thus just showed up as a bunch of songs.
    It took me a full day to organize it by adding Artist and Album tags to each song.
    I used some programs called MP3 Tag and Media Monkey.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

A stated in the "Roadster Command Center Instructions" when not in motion and in the ipod screen, a long press of the set button will give you the screen to select playlist, album or artist. Then from there you can pick each individual song. The default is playlist, I don't know if that can be changed. Every time you cycle off/on it goes back to playlist.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9z...ew?usp=sharing

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Took a picture

Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Leave it to Billy to know the answer!!

Wow! Now there's something that I'll bet not many folks knew! Thanks.

Unfortunately, I won't remember it very long, because I never use anything except "playlists".
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

By request I made a video showing how to do it. It will be up soon.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

By the way... just a comment.....

I have noticed in the past other iPod "Nano" users reporting an issue getting full control. I know the iPod "touch" works but seems possibly the Nano does not support the full Apple iPod control protocol?

If you look at the spec for the Apple protocol there are different levels of support!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default This is it!

Thank you Billy + Thank you to all others that replied and Finless Bob who PM'd me.

I had never seen these instructions, and I'm pretty diligent about reading everything. This level of detail sure isn't in my Operators Guide. I even purchased the full repair manual. I had no idea about pressing and holding the SET button while at the iPod device screen. I'm guessing I'd even tried that, but you have to hold quite a long time. This did it; I can now select by Playlist, Artist, or Album. Another link for these instructions that's a little easier to read (4 pages instead of 2) is: http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/Quick_Reference_Roadster_Electronic_Command_Center _Can-Am.pdf

I believe Bob is going to record a video, which will surly help others that may have a similar challenge.

This may be the answer for those of you that said you experienced the same dilemma as me. What a great group to be part of.

Thank you!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A stated in the "Roadster Command Center Instructions" when not in motion and in the ipod screen, a long press of the set button will give you the screen to select playlist, album or artist. Then from there you can pick each individual song. The default is playlist, I don't know if that can be changed. Every time you cycle off/on it goes back to playlist.

Spyder Garage

I knew that was probably your issue. Yes without having the fold out the manual itself is not very helpful.

Well, my video is going up now so maybe will help others in the future

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

This is "the info" in my opinion to understand the functions.

A couple weeks back, I had the wife take the original to the office store, make copies and cut them into pages. These small pages she then had laminated in plastic so it can remain in the trunk.

PK

Spyder Garage

7th Generation Nano with Apple interface adapter to BRP cable worked fully for all handlebar switch functions.

PK

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IIRC, in order to have songs show up in album lists on the iPod you have to have the library of songs organized by album in iTunes before you sync it to the iPod. iTunes will automatically organize the songs by album. You have to manually organize them into playlists in iTunes before syncing.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hate having to play items by a pre-selected order - my Kawasaki Voyager and my Spyder both play the Nano's playlists in the order they selected. But, it you disconnect the Ipod, select a playlist, choose "Shuffle", THEN plug it back in you can achieve a random order. If you select a playlist through the Spyder's menu it will play in order of artist.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

If you hold down the right button (like your skipping to the next song) for 3 seconds or so, it will switch the iPod to Shuffle mode.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

That's interesting Bob; I'll have to try it. Per the RECC instructions regarding the left/right buttons: "Long press: Select the previous/next Playlist, Album, or Artist as per the last selection in iPod device screen."

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    If you hold down the right button (like your skipping to the next song) for 3 seconds or so, it will switch the iPod to Shuffle mode.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    That's interesting Bob; I'll have to try it. Per the RECC instructions regarding the left/right buttons: "Long press: Select the previous/next Playlist, Album, or Artist as per the last selection in iPod device screen."

Rob
    I actually found this by accident. My wife was in the back and did not like a song so she pressed the right button and held it, next thing I knew the album I was on changed and it started playing songs randomly from my first playlist. I was like... "what happened?" Later she did it again so I asked her to show me what she was doing. Sure enough, she was holding the right button waiting for the song to change. Well it changed alright!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

FYI I have a 2011 RTS and there have been a few rev changes in the radio since then.
    So it's possible some things I see may have changed or been fixed!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black