Spyder Garage

Default Madstad 20" Windshield

Well I tried the extension bracket trick with my Blue Ridge Windshield. The windshield certainly works better than it did, but it's still not great. I'm 6'2". With the bracket extension trick, the wind still hits me in the head, so I've ordered a Madstad windshield and found out it shipped today. In talking with the Madstad people when I ordered the windshield I was told the 20" windshield should be perfect. When it comes in, I'll write a review on mounting.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mads tad 20

I am also 6'2" and the 20" Madstad works perfectly for me.

Spyder Garage

Default madstad 18"

I'm 5 foot 9 I ordered the 18 inch it will be here monday I'll write a review.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rockmantex View Post
    I am also 6'2" and the 20" Madstad works perfectly for me.
    I'm curious could you share some photo's of your shield.
    My friend and I are both 6'2 and he had a Madstad and sent it back. I tried it and didn't like it either. I'd rather ride without a shield which I do insthe ead of the Madstad. Since your the same height as us I was just wondering. We spent days and hours trying but nothing work for either of us. Thanks for any input!

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

I've been riding for over a month with my new Madstad and guarantee you will love it. I'm 6'1" and went with the 18". At it's lowest setting I am looking over the top of the screen by about 3-4 inches. By the sounds of it the 20" should be perfect for you.

I really can't say enough about their product!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 20" Madstad

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    My friend and I are both 6'2 and he had a Madstad and sent it back. I tried it and didn't like it either. I'd rather ride without a shield which I do insthe ead of the Madstad. Since your the same height as us I was just wondering. We spent days and hours trying but nothing work for either of us. Thanks for any input!
    I will take some pics tomorrow and can email them to you. Never have posted any pics. PM me your email.

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad and I'm glad!

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    Well I tried the extension bracket trick with my Blue Ridge Windshield. The windshield certainly works better than it did, but it's still not great. I'm 6'2". With the bracket extension trick, the wind still hits me in the head, so I've ordered a Madstad windshield and found out it shipped today. In talking with the Madstad people when I ordered the windshield I was told the 20" windshield should be perfect. When it comes in, I'll write a review on mounting.

Chris
    Sorry for the bad poetry, but I LOOVE the 20" Madstad winshield! It has really increased my enjoyment of my F3. Next is belt tensioner. You will love the Madstad!

Ron

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm also 6'2"

I have the Madstad setup on my 2008 GS and love it, I also have one on my Honda ST1100
    both are the 24inch shields I will not change they are simply the best on the market...
    the amount of adjustment up-down forward and back is unmatched....
    I will now step down from my soap box...
    Thank You
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

I am 5' 8" and installed a 18" Madstad.
    What I got out of the box and put on the bike was either a misprint or completely un-usable.

First the pros:
    Base plate design and fit to the bike looks great.

Now the cons:
    Rear mounting brackets are extremely flimsy, allowing lots of vertical flex. The upper windshield bracket bolts dig into the dash cluster and the windshield flops in the wind.
    Position of the windshield is way to high. In the lowest position is a wide gap between the cowl and the bottom of the windshield. Air coming over the cowl goes under the windshield and mixes with air going over it causing a lot of turbulence behind it causing the visor on my modular helmet to flutter violently. No matter what adjustment I make. That was a scary test ride.

I undid the screws and lined the upper holes in the windshield with the lower mounting points in the brackets and what an improvement. Now I can raise and tilt the windshield where it needs to be. I drilled 2 holes to match the upper bracket nuts and now the windshield stays put.

Final verdict:
    What I got sucks. Mounting brackets need improvement, bolt holes in the windshield are in the wrong place and rubber foam wedges between the base plate and the dash cluster were not included. Was this thing ever road tested?

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Would love to see some pics. Mine installed perfectly and works very well.

Spyder Garage

I am 5 foot 9 and I have the 18 inch Madstad shield, it works fantastically. I don't have any of the problems you have. I wonder if you received all the right parts. I'd call Madstad and tell them your complaints

Spyder Garage

Default I agree. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JPV View Post
    I am 5 foot 9 and I have the 18 inch Madstad shield, it works fantastically. I don't have any of the problems you have. I wonder if you received all the right parts. I'd call Madstad and tell them your complaints
    . . . . . that just doesn't match my experience either. Something is wrong.

With my 18" shield, and me being 5'8", at the lowest setting, the top of the shield is about even with my upper lip. I have it adjusted to about even with my eyebrows. It is stable and gives great protection.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hancycle View Post
    I am 5' 8" and installed a 18" Madstad.
    What I got out of the box and put on the bike was either a misprint or completely un-usable.

First the pros:
    Base plate design and fit to the bike looks great.

Now the cons:
    Rear mounting brackets are extremely flimsy, allowing lots of vertical flex. The upper windshield bracket bolts dig into the dash cluster and the windshield flops in the wind.
    Position of the windshield is way to high. In the lowest position is a wide gap between the cowl and the bottom of the windshield. Air coming over the cowl goes under the windshield and mixes with air going over it causing a lot of turbulence behind it causing the visor on my modular helmet to flutter violently. No matter what adjustment I make. That was a scary test ride.

I undid the screws and lined the upper holes in the windshield with the lower mounting points in the brackets and what an improvement. Now I can raise and tilt the windshield where it needs to be. I drilled 2 holes to match the upper bracket nuts and now the windshield stays put.

Final verdict:
    What I got sucks. Mounting brackets need improvement, bolt holes in the windshield are in the wrong place and rubber foam wedges between the base plate and the dash cluster were not included. Was this thing ever road tested?
    Thank You!
    By all other accounts was beginning to think had done something wrong. At least now someone else has a problem and complaint about the Great Madstad shield just sayin

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

My experience was great. Instead of modding it, send it back. They will send you the right one!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I get mine tomorrow. I'm 5'6" and ordered a 18". Will post pics and review tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

I am only 5 ' 10" and have the 20" but I love it.. with the taller windshield I can get as much protection as I get on my RT or I can slide it all the way up and let some air flow come underneath the shield to cool me like a vented windshield does. Mine installed with no trouble and works GREAT! With this windshield in place I will be taking the F3 on a Saddlesore 1000 ride later this year.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My installation looked similar at first what your pictures show. Does not work for me. That huge gap below the windshield had to go and the wobbling and flopping was unbearable even at 40 mph. And it still goes 3" higher. What for?
    Here are some pictures what I wound up with and like. Smooth air around my chest and head and no more neck strain. And I see the road surface over top 30-40' in front.

Quote Originally Posted by JPV View Post