Spyder Garage

Default My impressions of the heat reduction mod

We got our 2013 RT S back from our dealer last week. We have had a chance to ride in differing outside air temps ranging from 60 to 90+. The heat is reduced greatly. I have noticed that the Tupperware is cool to the touch and the glove box is cool. I have also noticed the the heat seems to be evenly spread out both sides of the bike and no longer concentrated on the right at the dragons mouth. The stock engine temp gauge will usually be at half or lower when moving. It does go to over half in stop and go traffic but I have also noticed that it drops as soon as you start moving again. The scoops look great! Our bike is the viper red so the black looks cool. It might be a figment of my imagination but i think the fuel mileage has gone up a smidge (technical term). So far we are very happy with the mod. I no longer need to carry a hand towel to put between my legs on the seat to keep the chestnuts from roasting. It took my dealer longer than the 4-6 hours quoted since I was the first one they did. The tech did a great job! I called the dealer and had the parts ordered and then dropped it off once they arrived. Needless to say I am thrilled! This what it should feel,like. I rode a Harley Electra Glide for a lot of years so having a hot bike under me was not a new experience. I realize that sitting on top of a motor is going to be hot. It was almost unbearable before, now it is rideable. So, if you are waiting get it done. Ride safe my friends! The attachment is the post I put on FB about the mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the nice write-up. Your findings seem to be what most folks who have had theirs done are saying. I won't be getting mine done until mid July or so, since I won't be home until then. But with all the positive comments, I'm looking forward to it.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Good post - thanks for sharing.

The fix may not be perfect, but it makes a very noticeable difference it seems. It is a shame it had to go the route it did to get to the 2013 RTS riders in a better position.

Here is hoping we all have learning something important.

Ride safe
    Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a shame that it had to come to this...

...But it is looking to finally be the happy ending, that all of you deserve!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's a shame that it had to come to this...

...But it is looking to finally be the happy ending, that all of you deserve!
    I'm glad it did come to this . . . much better than if it hadn't and stuff was still melting under me (the week before my recall was done, I had another parking brake cable melt!)

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

mine goes in monday, i hope i have the good experience that all of you have had

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting about your repair. Glad to hear it went well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 recall

Mine goes to the dealer tomorrow. Will start on it on Monday or Tuesday. Mine will be the fourth one done at the dealers. Have had good service from them since day one. This should be a happy outcome also. Will post the results later.

Spyder Garage

My results after having the modifications recommended by BRP to address the "Heat Issues" being experienced in the CanAm 2013 RT.
    The results I have found pre and post "BRP's 2013 RT Heat Fix" on my 2013 RT Limited Edition SE5.
    Firstly an item that may be of interest to some owners is that I was credited (dealership credit) with the full cost of the OEM Adjustable Air Deflectors I had previously purchased and fitted to my RT.
    A little history on my 2013 RT Limited Edition SE5.
    It has had the left hand header pipe wrapped where it runs alongside the fuel tank and still has the catalytic converter fitted. The under body panel that several owners have reported removing is still fitted although I have drilled several (lots actually) 25mm (1 inch) holes in the hope that it may have allowed better air circulation without allowing road debris to damage fittings located in that under body area.
    I haven't experienced any fuel odours since last having the purge valve and charcoal canister replaced.
    The Work :- My RT was the first to have these works carried out at my preferred dealership (Springwood Suzuki - QLD, Australia).
    Work commenced at 8:30am and was completed at just prior to 5:30pm.
    While I was having "the fix" carried out and my RT was very naked I took the opportunity to have the spark plugs and leads swapped out with high quality NGK Iridium spark plugs and Accel Race Wire leads (supplied by Martin at www.spyderryders.net.au) plus the 15,000klm service was completed.
    The Temperature :- How accurate the temperature gauge I used I don't know but as all readings were taken with the same gauge I believe the difference between pre and post "the fix" do give a very fair indication of the effectiveness of the modifications that BRP has recommended to be carried out.
    Readings were taken in 12 different locations around the exterior of the tupperware, in the glove box and under the seat.
    The first set of readings were taken where the ambient temperature was approximately 10°C (50°F). All readings were pretty much that of the ambient temperature.
    I then undertook a 100klms (62 mile) ride and on reaching my destination took another set readings at those same 12 locations. These readings I will later refer to as pre "the fix" temperatures A further set of readings were taken after an 80klms (50 miles) ride after having "the fix" completed. I'll refer to these as "post the fix" results.
    Also of note is that the post "the fix" readings were taken when the ambient temperature was double that of the pre "the fix" it being approximately 20°C (68°F).
    After "the fix" the majority of the external readings were all similar to the ambient temperature. I experienced no difference from the reported hot foot area pre and post "the fix", it was quite warm.
    The areas where I found major temperature changes pre and post "the fix" are shown below.
    1. Glove Box
    Pre Fix - 46.0°C (114.8°F)
    Post Fix - 20.8°C ( 69.4°F)
    2. Seat Latch
    Pre Fix - 62.8°C (145°F)
    Post Fix - 34.1°C (93.4°F)
    3. Fuel Cap
    Pre Fix - 53.8°C (128.4°F)
    Post Fix - 28.6°C ( 83.5°F)
    Unfortunately I failed to take the temperature reading inside the fuel tank prior to "the fix" being carried out although I can state pre "the fix" I had experienced fuel bubbling (boiling) inside the tank on several occasions.
    The following fuel tank readings were taken post "the fix" before and after an 148 klms (92 mile) ride.
    Pre Ride
    External - 17.0°C (64.6°F)
    Internal - 18.8°C (65.8°F)
    Post Ride - 148klms (92 miles)
    External – 17.8°C (64°F)
    Internal - 34.8°C (94.6°F)
    As can be seen from these readings there is certainly no longer any bubbling (boiling) being experienced in my fuel tank.
    Take all this information as you you wish but I for one am now a very happy CanAm RT 2013 Limited Edition SE5 owner.
    Note:- Forgive me if my temperature conversion aren't correct but I believe I have them reasonably close.
    A single proviso still remains, that being how the summer heat will affect my RT ?
    Summer still being several months away here in Queensland Australia, so I'm just going to enjoy getting out and riding my Spyder every opportunity I get.
    As a sidebar :- Winter here is real tough though, temps rarely getting below 8°C (46°F) overnight and days usually in the low to mid 20°C (68°F). My sympathy's go out to those snow bound Spyder riders.
    Come visit here sometime it's pretty much perfect riding weather all year round.
    I hope this information gives hope to all the owners that are still to have this modification done to their 2013 RT.
    Regards
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

I pick mine up tomorrow, and it is to be about 110 degrees here. Should be a good test for it. I hauled it in on a trailer on Friday just to play it safe.