Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bluetooth questions

I have a 2010 Spyder RT with no radio, etc. I am thinking about my first bluetooth comms pair for my wife and myself. I may go to J&M and buy IS-33 helmets equipped with their bluetooth set-up but they are pretty expensive. Alternatively, I have been looking at the Sena stuff. There is a 5, 10 and 20 which I assume means different levels. My requirement is for rider/passenger intercomm, FM radio and bluetooth speak over phone (especially by passenger). I don't care much about communicating with groups but may want to use an MP3 player or hear the directions from a GPS. I think the 10 model has no FM but the 5 and 20 models do. Not sure what advantage buying the more expensive 20 model has over the 5 based on my needs. If you understand my question, please respond with some advice. TIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went on the cheap the first go around and got the SMH5-FM for the wife and I. They worked fine but with the smaller battery in them they would last about 8-10 hours max if we left the comms open and streamed music all day.
    So for a simple cheaper setup the SMH5-FM's were fine. The nice thing about the FM's if wife and I can listen to different music. It will store 12 presets as I recall.
    The limitation with the SMH5 vs the SMH10 is the number of helmet connections so since you don't care about that, then no worries there.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Love Our Sena 20s But FM Stinks

I love our Sena 20s units but the FM works great only if you are driving circles within 5 miles around the FM transmitter site. They just don't have room for the 29" antenna and when you go for a ride out in the boonies you won't hear much on FM. I gave up on most broadcast radio years ago so when I go riding I listen to MY music from my smartphone. The Sena controls the next song, back a song, and independent volume from the unit quite nicely.

I don't have any experience with any other units.

Charles
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller