Spyder Garage

Default Potential RT Limited Newbie

.....2015 in yellow color, the fastest color right?

I have been working two local dealers and have an out the door price on 2015 Spyder RT Limited for $31,214.00. That includes tax, title, and license. Is that a descent good price?

I have been riding motorcycles for 29 years. Moving to the three wheels I have some questions.

What should be my expectations for initial demo ride? (I have a demo ride set up for this Friday).
    How long does it take to get comfortable for getting up to speed as I do with my bike now?
    How difficult is the transition of the "push/pull" from riding a motorcycle to "turn baby turn" on the Spyder?
    Will I miss the deep leaning you get on a motorcycle in the twisties? (Most of my riding consist of twisties in the Cascade Mountains here in the PNW)

About the 2015 models.

Are there any recalls on the year model?
    Is the stock set up good enough for long distance riding two up and pulling a can am trailer?

Any input will helpful as I'm in the decision process to transition to 3 wheels.

Current Ride
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Thanks in advance,

KJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found it took almost 500 miles to get really comfortable in turns. The trick with the Spyder, especially when you first ride, is for you to lean forward and into the turn. That way, the force generated by the turn is pushing you harder into the seat, rather than feeling like it is pushing you off. Also, use your knees. As you enter a gentler turn, where you don't feel the need to lean, push the inside knee into the seat . . . you will feel more secure.

A common newbie error is over steering. The Spyder likes a light touch because of the dynamic power steering. When turning right, push with your left arm, and with your right, when turning left. Don't develop a "death grip" with both hands . . . when trying to steer with both hands, you tend to make small over corrections and it feels squirrely . . .

After a while, you will fall more in love with it, every mile you ryde.

And read this http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=advice+riders
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 06-17-2015 at 09:20 AM.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the Stock set up on the 2014 RTL (basically the same bike) I have ridden the Saddlesore 1000 and the Bun Burner 1500, pulling the trailer behind on the Saddlesore 1000 and also on a twisties ryde in NC.. Many folks jump to replace the seat but I have ridden near 117,000 miles on the stock seats with no problem

Spyder Garage

My 2014 Spyder was a return to motorcycling after a multi-decade absence and I have reached COF (Certifiable Old Fart) status. To date I have eight months and 7,600+ miles on it, all of them big fun miles. The above said, I offer the following suggestions/answers to your questions. Some OP have mentioned the same points.

I have no idea what a "decent good price" is for a '15 Limited. I caution however that the price OTD is secondary to the quality of service you will receive from the dealership where you purchase. IMO, it may be better to settle for getting pinched a bit on the OTD price if it's from THE dealer you want to patronize for service. You're venturing forth with a very sophisticated machine and if the service department, including techs don't have their s**t together your service experiences could be unacceptable.

Plan on the demo ride being as long as you can squeeze out of the dealership and use it as a 100% introduction ride. You're going from a counter steering environment to one that is more like driving a cage. Do keep a light grip on the bars or you will think you are riding the twitchiest machine ever made. Do plan on leaning forward and into the turns and ride only at a speed you are comfortable with. With your years of two wheel experience expect to find it a major change to riding and don't worry about how many miles it takes you to get comfortable with the machine. You can put as much body English into the twisties as you like as you become more familiar with the Spyder. While you may miss the deep learning initially you won't have to worry about going down then the rear wheel slides out from under you in a little sand or gravel. TAKE YOUR TIME!

I have not heard on this site of any recalls on the '15 RTs; they're essentially the '14s with some new paint colors. You should verify with the dealer that all B.U.D.S. software updates have been done; a good dealership will have done so during assembly but if it's been on the floor any length of time something could have been missed although it should not have been. The dealer should have run the VIN through the BRP system to verify everything is up to date.

You may have read here many owner opinions about the BajaRon sway bar. Although I ride almost exclusively solo, IMO it is THE best mod you can put on the Spyder. You will find many two up owners who second this opinion. Again IMO, unless you have the tools and equipment to get the front of the Spyder 22"+ off the ground it's well worth having the dealer install it as part of the OTD package. Ron is great to deal with and he will ship directly to the dealer if you want. Only you and your passenger can give the final word on stock seat comfort.

Do read your operator's guide thoroughly and watch the safety videos.

Good luck, be safe, have fun!
    Last edited by JayBros; 06-17-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

In my present conversations with both dealers, I told them both that a good price for the vehicle can be null and void if there is bad customer service after the sale.
    Thanks all for your input.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BARGAIN LTD'S

I just saw two 2014 LTD's for about 10,000 LESS with low miles on E_BAY............also a fellow Spyderlover " ROBSTOY " is selling his at a bargain price. The difference between a 15 and a 14 are the colors............................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't say how to spend your money. So just

Spyder Garage

The good people above have answered your questions well.

I would add: ride your new for a thousand miles or so before making any major modifications. Get to know both the and what you personally like/don't like...then, go from there.

I always put extra lights on from the start. The Custom Dynamics trunk light bar and now the Bumpskid with LED's. Both are good and a few dealers actually carry them in stock. If not, a week or less and you or your dealer can get them.

Price: sounds like a MSRP deal. Service after the sale is most important to me. If I get good, knowledgeable service, I am happy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's a beautiful Victory Cross Country Tour! I've never owned a Victory, but I've assisted several times when the demo truck was in town and have pretty much gotten to ride everything in their fleet. I had a buddy that a was a salesman at a dealership and let me take a Cross Country Tour home for a weekend and I really enjoyed it even though it's quite different from what I normally ride.

As for the Spyder and making that transition from your 2 wheel bike, I think the biggest change you are going to notice is the "lateral" forces that are applied on you. Since the Spyder has 2 front wheels, anytime the angle of the road surface changes, you'll feel that being transferred to you. Even just the crown of the road changing or uneven road surfaces will subject you to lateral forces you don't feel on a 2 wheel bike. The biggest challenge I feel as a 2 wheel rider is learning to let your body absorb those forces through your torso and just roll with it without transferring them back into the bars and into the Spyder which then will have you all over the road. It's a different sensation from a bike, so you'll probably find yourself trying to make lots of corrections on your first ride that might have you wondering from one side of your lane to the other. Just relax and do smooth inputs just like you would on a bike. Others alluded to the feeling of being pushed off the opposite side of the Spyder as you turn and again, you'll develop new muscle memories to counter act that. Adapting to the non counter steering isn't as hard as it sounds. Instead of pushing your inside grip to turn, you are now pushing your outside grip, it's a pretty easy transition and the more you ride, the more comfortable you'll get. I would say it takes about 10-20 miles to get over that initial wondering around your lane feeling and then over the next 100-500 miles, you'll really start seeing your skills and comfort level improve. By 1k miles, you should be pretty comfy on your new Spyder if you purchase it.

I've been riding motorcylces for 20+ years and although I'm not yet ready to give up my 2 wheel bikes yet, I've recently been borrowing an RS Spyder while I heal from an ACL surgery on my left knee. I promised my wife I would stay off my 2 wheel bikes for at least 12 weeks after surgery and had a very gracious friend that allowed me to use their RS while they recovered from back surgery and couldn't ride anyways. I had actually taken quite a few test rides on various Spyders (RS, ST, RS, & F3) before I borrowed this RS and although I felt pretty confident jumping on a Spyder and taking off, it wasn't until I got to ride this RS spyder for a few hundred miles before I really realized I had become a lot more comfortable. My first ride on the interstate which I have no trouble with on a 2 wheel bike was a bit freaky the first time on the Spyder. I've put about 1k miles on this RS and now I can really tell a difference on how much more comfortable I am and how 2nd nature it's become riding it. I am getting ready to give the RS back this weekend, so I've actually started taking a few short rides on my 2 wheel bikes to work myself back into them () and I now find that going back and forth is pretty easy. I will say overall, this has been a great experience borrowing this RS. The RS is probably the least likely Spyder I would own just because I don't care for the more aggressive riding position, but it's been fun and I'm certainly grateful to have been able to borrow it.

As much as I have been enjoying the Spyder, I do think the biggest challenge for me on the Spyder and the main reason I'm not ready to give up my 2 wheel bikes yet is that it is a lot more work in the twisties on the Spyder. I'm not saying it's not fun because it's a blast pushing the Spyder through the twisties, but when I did a few longer rides with friends in the twisties, it was obvious I was working a lot harder than they were to maintain a similar spirited pace. They were actually impressed I was running the pace I was, but they noted I was working a lot harder to do it too. Now the RS does shine in the twisties as it's the more aggressive model and I've never had a chance to push an RT in the twisties, but I could imagine you'll have a lot more body roll and more weight to contend with. I think though that stablizer bars and such can really help with that too. With that said, when it comes to just jumping on the Spyder to run errands or if I owned an RT/ST or F3 that I know would be much more comfortable for the long haul, I think I would enjoy it there too. I love just being able to jump on the Spyder and go to town and the "Frunk" is absolutely awesome for storing stuff when you run errands. Of course the RT has a ton of storage too.
    Last edited by BlueLghtning; 06-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

The biggest take-away from reading up on the spyder is easing up on the grip and relaxing your arms so there isn't the recoil action of movement from the spyder to arms and back to they spyder. It's kind of like on two wheels going over a grated bridge. It scares some on bikes, but if you just relax your grip and hold the throttle steady the bike will pull you through and stay in line.

Next step, my demo ride this Friday and go from there.

Thanks all for your input.

KJ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    .....2015 in yellow color, the fastest color right?

I have been working two local dealers and have an out the door price on 2015 Spyder RT Limited for $31,214.00. That includes tax, title, and license. Is that a descent good price?

I have been riding motorcycles for 29 years. Moving to the three wheels I have some questions.

What should be my expectations for initial demo ride? (I have a demo ride set up for this Friday).
    How long does it take to get comfortable for getting up to speed as I do with my bike now?
    How difficult is the transition of the "push/pull" from riding a motorcycle to "turn baby turn" on the Spyder?
    Will I miss the deep leaning you get on a motorcycle in the twisties? (Most of my riding consist of twisties in the Cascade Mountains here in the PNW)

About the 2015 models.

Are there any recalls on the year model?
    Is the stock set up good enough for long distance riding two up and pulling a can am trailer?

Any input will helpful as I'm in the decision process to transition to 3 wheels.

Current Ride
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Thanks in advance,

KJ

In Wa state you need to have three wheel license to ride three wheel ,you need to take three wheel class you will be know how to control side car,trike and the spyder .different than motorcycle because you learn how lo lean you body when you turn not the motorcycle. look like you live in Wa so you need to have three wheel license to ride the Spyder
    Last edited by hobbykim; 06-17-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Update from the Demo Ride

Let me say.....I'm hooked! I was really impressed with the RT. I took a 40 minute test ride with the salesperson riding his bike in front of me. After a couple of left and right turns, I was able to figure out how to make the curve smoothly. I'm sure I will get better with it after some miles. He told me when we got back to the dealership, I looked like I have been riding a Spyder for some time.

However, instead of buying one locally, I received a great deal on a new 2015 Yellow Spyder RT Limited at Pitbull Powersport in Springfield, MO. So I will fly in and ride it back to Seattle, WA. By the time I get it home, I'm sure I will have the riding change from a motorcycle to the Spyder figured out.

All that is left is to figure out a time I can fly out and ride it home. Work has me pinned down for a bit.

KJ

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

I went from a Victory Vision to my 2015 Spyder RT Special Series. After 38 years of two wheel riding, it took some getting used to the steering. But by the time I completed my 140 mile ride home from the dealer, I had it down pat.

I love the stock seat and see no reason to fork out a grand for a different one. But everyone's rump is different.

I did add the BajaRon Sway Bar, which helps alot with the stability around twisties and in sharp cornering.

Spyder Garage

I'm flying out July 16th to pick up it up. The wife is going with me and we will make a vacation trip back.
    Last edited by KJWEB; 06-24-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Riding two up with the bride I strongly suggest you read the Dos and Do Nots, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners. The pointers should help make the trip real fun. Good luck and be safe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Don't forget the brakes!!

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykim View Post
    In Wa state you need to have three wheel license to ride three wheel ,you need to take three wheel class you will be know how to control side car,trike and the spyder .different than motorcycle because you learn how lo lean you body when you turn not the motorcycle. look like you live in Wa so you need to have three wheel license to ride the Spyder

After your 40 minute try out, I hope you are used to the only one pedal for the brake. If you get into a panic stop, that right hand grabing for a lever feels pretty empty.Once you are used to only one pedal, just stomp on it and keep an eye in your mirrors, because the guy behind ain't going to stop as fast as you can.
    Bob
    British Columbia

Spyder Garage

Funny how things change....I ended up purchasing from LifeStyles Honda in Mt. Vernon, WA on a very good deal. They are about 100 miles north of where I live. I picked it up Saturday morning and rode the back roads back to home. I know I still have to fine tune my skills, but I was very comfortable riding it home. I only reach for the front brake once.

When I got home, I took the wife out on it. I told to use the hand rails until I'm less "jerky" in the corners. Before we reached even 20 miles, I saw that she was resting her hands on her knees and not needing the handrails. "Good sign!" She stated she was very comfortable and the stock seat felt great! We took another ride Sunday evening and stopped and had dinner.

She's a keeper............oh and the wife too!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

She's a beauty, enjoy the ride.