Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Things I do for you people... (Dynojet/Power Commander Saga)

I figured a thread about this Power Commander was in order so I'll start here.

Sitting at Dynojet now about to take a tour. Dropping the F3 off for a couple of days for measurements and such.

They don't have a three wheel dyno so they'll hook a unit up and install a 2nd O2 sensor and I'll come back to ride it for "about" 30 minutes so they can get a baseline map.

Then I'll ride for a while and provide feedback and go from there.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by MMMII; 06-16-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're the Best-Looking and smartest Guinea Pig, that we've seen here in years!!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up DJ map

Please post whatever diagrams of your bike that they give you from the runs. I've always had my bikes (track and street) remapped on a Dyno Jet and it helped the bike run better and smooth out some kinks in the power band. If Dyno Jet will fiddle with your ECU, I wonder how much more torque and hp they can squeeze out of the F3.
    2015 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Look forward to what can be turned loose by tuning....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Cool

Looking forward to the results! Thanks! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

2 days later....

I'll pick it up in the morning tomorrow to drive around for the weekend and develop a custom map..

Apparently, install with the pre-production unit would take a mechanic 5-6 hours for install. A new connector had to be created which will make it to the production unit and allow for home installation.

Once I get it back I'll post pics of what I can from work and possibly more this weekend. I'll also post some thoughts on Sunday about performance.

The thing with performance.... DynoJet doesn't have a dyno that works with 3 wheels and from what I was told Spyders throw a code and go into limp mode if the front two wheels aren't in motion at the same time as the rear.
    Current Spyder

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default POWER QUEST

Since you are dealing with the same 1330 engine as in the RT......which also uses the same AIR FILTER ( part # 707800483 ), be advised K&N now makes an OEM fit filter that size!!!!!................Also did your tuner have a look at the Air Snorkel set-up ???.......I can't tell exactly from the " FICHE' " how much air is available .......I do know that on the newer RT it's a JOKE, I don't know how this engine can run on so little Air coming in from the three tiny slots at the front of the SNORKEL......I removed mine completely and attached a 3 inch round pipe that exits the left side panel...............Very interested in what you are doing ................Mike

Spyder Garage

Here's where we are at:

• Non-prod unit installed
    • Auto-Tune installed
    • Pod 300 installed

My job through next week is to ride and use the 300 to create logs once throttle position is at 60%. This will allow a stock map to be created. Next week I'll cruise back by DynoJet and they will download the info to make the map available for the retail unit.

Did I mention that it's supposed to be 114 on Sat and 111 on Sun? I'll probably opt for a couple of 6am rides since it will only be 85ish...

They are ordering a pipe (not sure if it will be there next week or not) so I can create another map. Unfortunately in my excitement to see all the install I forgot to ask what pipe they are ordering.... It's on my to do list during my next visit. I did PM Lamonster and ask if he would be willing to donate (fingers crossed) a bypass pipe so we can get a map created since that pipe is pretty popular around here.

Impressions so far... To early to tell. My ride from DynoJet to work this am was only about 10 miles in stop and go freeway traffic. Throttle does seem snappier but I need more miles.

Once the production until and connectors are ready I'll switch out the existing for the more finished product and more sightly install.

I must say that so far, the DynoJet folks (Chuck specifically) have been excellent to work with and been explaining everything along the way. I'll be the first to admit that whole performance tuning thing is outside of my wheel house.

What else would you like to know?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MMMII; 06-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Default ????????????????????

....Well, I know you read my Post # 7, so what does " Chuck " think about whether the F-3 can breath in stock form or not ???.............IMHO, if the engine can't breath ( and the stock RT can't ) than all the EXHAUST MODS in the world aren't going to do much.!!!!!.................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, you sure did pick a bad week for this. Try not to cook yourself on your rides.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Well, I know you read my Post # 7, so what does " Chuck " think about whether the F-3 can breath in stock form or not ???.............IMHO, if the engine can't breath ( and the stock RT can't ) than all the EXHAUST MODS in the world aren't going to do much.!!!!!.................Mike
    Added to my list for next visit.
    Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Realized I forgot the pic of the 02 sensor added before the cat:

And my single new green LED coming from something:

Last edited by MMMII; 06-24-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Any more impressions from using the Autotune? Any updates on the Dyno Tune saga?
    Ride: 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6, Pure Magnesium Metallic
    Accessories/Mods: Gauge Spoiler, Passenger Short Rail, SmoothSpyder Backrest, BajaRon SwayBar with Heim Joint Links, Lamonster Performance Pipe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Any more impressions from using the Autotune? Any updates on the Dyno Tune saga?
    It was hottttt here over the weekend!

However, I did take a 60 mile round trip ride on Saturday night around 11:30 (when it was only 92ish out).

Here is what I notice. I seem to go through gears faster than prior to install and around 4,700 RPMs there is more pickup than before. I've not had a GPS unit on a Spyder but having to take off the POD 300 (so it doesn't get stolen) when leaving the F3 unattended is an extra step that I find to be a PITA.

Friday morning I return to DynoJet so they can download the data from my test runs. Chuck did call on Monday to see how things were going and mentioned that they can add two maps to the unit (a stock map and one based off the data from the autotune unit so far) so I can toggle between the two and do an A/B comparison.

He's curious about fuel mileage stats so I will have to run two tanks (one on each setting to get the mpg values to compare).

While there, I'll be sure to ask about:
    • the question posed by @blueknight911
    • more details about the pipe he mentioned last time (fingers crossed it's the 2Bros)
    • timing on a retail unit

These questions and more will be answered in Friday's episode!
    Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a lot more to this process; than I had imagined.
    Thanks for sharing all of this; we can't wait to see what the results are!

Oh! you can get around the bike throwing codes on the chassis dyno, by either hooking all three speed sensors to the rear wheel, or maybe even just removing the one from the rear of the bike... ()
    As long as all three sensors are giving the same speed readings:

Spyder Garage

What did we learn today?

We learned:

• that @4500 RPM the Power Commander reduces the fuel mixture by about 10%.
    • that we created the first stock map
    • that Chuck thinks serious mods would be needed to mod the air intake. He did say that the stock air intake port was larger than he expected. (I might be misquoting some of what he said)
    • that the ECU plug for the F3 is the same as last years RT (which there is no Power Commander for)
      • since they are building a plug for the F3 it's more than likely they will release one for the RT

• that Chuck is working on getting the Two Brothers pipe to install on my F3 to capture that map as well

Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're making good progress!

Spyder Garage

Question. For the mapping baseline, are they wanting something more along the lines of normal flat-road-riding,
    shifting and basically a no-load situation. Or are they wanting (or also wanting) something where hills are involved
    and there is some load placed on the engine?
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
    Question. For the mapping baseline, are they wanting something more along the lines of normal flat-road-riding,
    shifting and basically a no-load situation. Or are they wanting (or also wanting) something where hills are involved
    and there is some load placed on the engine?
    The primary criteria was that during the runs they wanted something where throttle position was at or above 60%. Which BTW is harder than it sounds since the whole throttle by wire thing is in place.
    Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At 60% and higher; it must have been FUN!!

Spyder Garage

Default AIR INTAKE PORT

Quote Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
    What did we learn today?

We learned:

• that @4500 RPM the Power Commander reduces the fuel mixture by about 10%.
    • that we created the first stock map
    • that Chuck thinks serious mods would be needed to mod the air intake. He did say that the stock air intake port was larger than he expected. (I might be misquoting some of what he said)
    • that the ECU plug for the F3 is the same as last years RT (which there is no Power Commander for)
      • since they are building a plug for the F3 it's more than likely they will release one for the RT

• that Chuck is working on getting the Two Brothers pipe to install on my F3 to capture that map as well

....That area is about 3 inches in diameter where the rubber ELBOE attaches.......However if you cover that hole with a piece of paper with a 5/8 th inch Diameter hole ......that's about all the Air that is coming up the Snorkel from the front of the Spyder.......I'm guessing this , I took mine off...The engine can't breath with this type of restriction........Mike ...................Bob please enlighten us with your theory on this .......
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-26-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can you tell me where in Vegas you are getting this done? I go to vegas to get my tattoos...and would LOVE to have my Spyder on a Dyno. I tried last year, but couldn't find a shop willing to modify their setup for 3 wheels. I'd love to know the name of your shop, and maybe even a contact name or 2.

Your Spyder is going to be screaming when it's all said and done!

Spyder Garage

Getting everything done at DynoJet. Curious where you get your tattoos done at (Im looking for a new artist).

I told you it was hot this week:

Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
    I figured a thread about this Power Commander was in order so I'll start here.

Sitting at Dynojet now about to take a tour. Dropping the F3 off for a couple of days for measurements and such.

They don't have a three wheel dyno so they'll hook a unit up and install a 2nd O2 sensor and I'll come back to ride it for "about" 30 minutes so they can get a baseline map.

Then I'll ride for a while and provide feedback and go from there.

Wish me luck!
    Using a standard Dyno.

If you remove the speed sensor by the back brake that picks up the slotted part of the brake rotor which indicates the Spyder is moving the computer is made to think the wheel not turning and so no limp mode or fault.

Note : When taking off the speed sensor you need to be careful that it doesn't get caught up in anything.

When this is done there is no reason why any standard Dyno couldn't be used.

Oh I guess it would be advisable, actually very advisable to ensure your Spyder is securely strapped down otherwise life might get very exciting when the dyno's roller gets underway.

Spyder Garage

What AFRs are you inputting? Are you going to lean out the AFRs in the 5-20% range for the best? I'm assuming DynoJet wants maps to give to those that don't want to buy AutoTune. The whole point to AT is that you don't need maps. AT will create "maps" for you as you accept the trims dependent on the AFRs you prescribe. On my Victory, I was able to have increase my hp/tq dramatically (also intake, cams, exhaust) while also getting great mpg in the cruise zones! AT is a cool tool and w/o it you are pretty much crossing your fingers on the map you choose to use. (and, how well it matches your mods)
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06