Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default IS AGE REALLY A NUMBER

i know i complain a lot about different things, but really, how many people feel your age or older. i have a 64th year birthday coming up, and i am really having a hard time grasping the idea that i am 64.
    i worked hard all my life and abused my body but never figured it would hit me hard later in life. when i would step in and do all the hard work others on the job didn't want to do, and i would call them pussies to their faces, and they would laugh at me, who knew they might of been on to something important about later in life.
    last week i did work on the bike, i did it at a very slow pace because it involved getting up and down off the floor and with the added heat, i knew i would suffer in the end. and let me tell you i am suffering right now. so if a few of you around my age feel like your age, let me know.

Spyder Garage

The age thing comes up a lot in my thoughts. For me, it is true, there are many things I cannot do any more that I used to do all the time.

It is hard for me to see others doing some of those things for me. Thank the Lord for helpers.

The good side, I now know my limitations, and I ain't dead yet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I like to think it's only a number (going on 69 no pun intended) In reality it's sort of a reminder. Three years ago like you I could out work a young whippersnapper. Then came the back issues and my life changed even though I don't want to admit it. I try to do what I used to and pay in pain or can't do it at all. Worse part is mentally we think we are 18 So we take a couple of advil suck it up and ride on Remembering there is always someone worse off.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default age

For me all of those foolish things / injuries that occurred in younger days have really come into play the past few years. I am younger than you in years but much older than my chronological age physically. I have always worked hard and now am unable to do many things. It does tend to get me down. One of the things I really like about my Spyder is that I feel normal when riding it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i know i complain a lot about different things, but really, how many people feel your age or older. i have a 64th year birthday coming up, and i am really having a hard time grasping the idea that i am 64.
    i worked hard all my life and abused my body but never figured it would hit me hard later in life. when i would step in and do all the hard work others on the job didn't want to do, and i would call them pussies to their faces, and they would laugh at me, who knew they might of been on to something important about later in life.
    last week i did work on the bike, i did it at a very slow pace because it involved getting up and down off the floor and with the added heat, i knew i would suffer in the end. and let me tell you i am suffering right now. so if a few of you around my age feel like your age, let me know.
    Hell 64 your still a pup. I just turned 72 I'm just happy to look down at the grass and not up at it. Let others do things for you. BUT ride like it's your last ride ( who knows ).

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain. Like that old saying goes...'if I would've known I'd live this long I would've taken better care of myself.' I"ll be 62 in a few months and there are definitely adjustments that I've had to make, and strategies that I've had to develop, in order to accomplish some things that used to be easy. Having said that, I went through cancer treatment last year and still managed over 3,200 miles on my bicycle for the year...most of them on the fat bike pictured below. This year, to date, I'm at a little over 1,200 miles and have my sights on another 3,000 plus miles for the year. I am grateful to God for empowering me to do what I am able to do, despite whatever limitations age or disease might present. I will also admit, however, to being driven by some measure of fear that if I stop pedaling other things are going to catch up with me. I think that in our private moments, at least to some extent, most of us experience some angst associated with the inevitable challenges associated with getting older.
    Last edited by MEP; 06-15-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Early Birthday!!! https://youtu.be/eCss0kZXeyE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i am having the same discussion right now on facebook. everyone seems to think that exercise would help. well i try to walk a lil on my treadmill a couple of times a week, only to hurt more. well i guess getting old is a part of life but why can't it be a good part and not a down hill one

Spyder Garage

Worked 12 hours/7 days from 1965 to 2005, in foundries and other interesting places, I'm 73, and it's catching up really fast. I still do my own yard work, but I'm kind of leery about climbing a 32 foot ladder to paint the trim on my house. I'm seriously considering taking advantage of the Silver Sneakers membership that came with my pension package, to see if exercise will help.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just turned 70 and don't like it

Spyder Garage

Same boat. 64 coming up in 1 1/2 months. Things I used to do only 10 years ago are a hell of a lot harder now. Mow the lawn, cut down dead trees, trim hedges, weed wacker, leaf blower, is so much harder and takes so much longer now. That's why I try and ride every day, even if only for an hour, just to keep my sanity. Sometimes I will ride through the local golf course, then around the beach through two towns, then stop at the Horseshoe for a pint. Then, a 15 minute ride home, leave the RT in the driveway to let the fumes dissipate, watch South Park (yea I'm nuts) then work on reading my current novel. Next day I start all over again. That's all we can do.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What about all of the folks who never got to worry abou their age?
    There's always gonna be folks out there who are worse off...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What about all of the folks who never got to worry abou their age?
    There's always gonna be folks out there who are worse off...
    You said it bro. My dad quit worrying about his age at 64 when he was diagnosed with cancer. Six months later, he wasn't worrying about anything. Every day we have is a blessed day. Live hard, and have fun.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i am having the same discussion right now on facebook. everyone seems to think that exercise would help. well i try to walk a lil on my treadmill a couple of times a week, only to hurt more. well i guess getting old is a part of life but why can't it be a good part and not a down hill one
    and john, they call these the "golden years!" I wonder who came up with that!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chronologically 41... physically feels like 60's/70's at time due to doing dumb stuff that was hard on my joints... mentally 14-16... I warned my wife before we got married that I would probably never grow up and so far have kept my promise.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Age is between your ears! Keep moving or you will be found in your recliner dead. From a moving 72 year old that has killed deer 2 with Goldwings. Live life my friend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Worked 12 hours/7 days from 1965 to 2005, in foundries and other interesting places, I'm 73, and it's catching up really fast. I still do my own yard work, but I'm kind of leery about climbing a 32 foot ladder to paint the trim on my house. I'm seriously considering taking advantage of the Silver Sneakers membership that came with my pension package, to see if exercise will help.

john
    John, I can think of many things to do other than exercise. But it must be done or stuff stops working. Hang in there I am right behind ya. I now wish I had never used my hands to knock things in place!

Spyder Garage

i am having the same discussion right now on Facebook. everyone seems to think that exercise would help. well i try to walk a lil on my treadmill a couple of times a week, only to hurt more. well i guess getting old is a part of life but why can't it be a good part and not a down hill one
    cuznjohn,
    I hear every day from the patients I work with, at the hospital, their reasons for not being able to do various activities of daily living. Their ailments include everything imaginable from the top of their head to their toes. Those same patients receive 3 hrs/day of physical/occupational therapy in rehab. I can tell you whatever physical weakness/condition you have only gets worse with lack of movement/exercise. Keep in mind that exercise involves any type of movement. So, when walking out to your spyder and placing your leg over the seat, that is exercise; when bending over to put on your shoes that is also exercise. Of course, you need to do a little more than that.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-15-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Every one wants to live a long life
    But no one wants to grow old
    Do you see anything wrong with that statement

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Old age is not for wimps! I saw it on the Internet, so I must be true.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    and john, they call these the "golden years!" I wonder who came up with that!!
    Cause it takes a lot of gold to live those years like we wish we could?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

"Had I known I was going to live this long I would of taken better care of myself".

Just turned 75 in April, still riding and playing handball. Not flying much any more but have 29,500 hours to reminisce about flying. Seems to be enough. I don't do ladders anymore and hire the yard work done. My young wife puts in all the lightbulbs in our 14 foot ceilings and most important I still have a good outlook and attitude about life. After all what else can we do about it.

Oh yea, I'm really stiff in the mornings in all the wrong places. Ice packs and heat get me going.

No one has ever left this Planet alive. Well we did have a couple guys go to the moon but they came back.

Cheers, Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Cause it takes a lot of gold to live those years like we wish we could?
    You need the gold to pay for all those medical bills!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Every one wants to live a long life
    But no one wants to grow old
    Do you see anything wrong with that statement
    It sounds good. But, 'grow old' does not have the same meaning for everyone.

Spyder Garage

Oh My Heavens !

I've scanned through some of these comments.

I feel like I'm out on one of those first dates from Match.com.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey