Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEAD SPYDER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DEAD SPYDER

Wednesday last I took my RS to the dealer to get the parking brake adjusted all was good in and out 25 min and no charge. 40 miles to get home
    with a few stops in be tween rain Thursday and Friday. Saturday did some house work replaced the kitchen window. We rolled the Spyder out to go get some lunch and nothing the dash lights up as normal hit the starter button and nothing but a click. Took the key out walked away and tried again nothing. left the key on for a few min and I got the ABS Fault and VSS Fault both of the little lights were light up on the dash. I have been looking at as many posts as I can find but have not been able to find a fix other than take it to the dealer and let them take it and my bank account. This has not been a good year for the Spyder I am at a loss and ready to park it on the tracks if it would run long enough to get there. VERY UNHAPPY SPYDER owner. jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The battery??
    Could your brake lights have remained on, and run it down?
    You HAVE had a tough year with the bike...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I have to ask.....

Did you by any chance leave it in gear? Try stepping on the brake before starting.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DLewis View Post
    Did you by any chance leave it in gear? Try stepping on the brake before starting.....
    Try to answer both you and BOB I was not able to start the Spyder with the jumper cables hooked up made no difference.
    My Spyder is the SE5, I have tried every trick I can think of with the same result. jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As we get closer to football season I was thinking about painting the dead Spyder Black and Silver and letting all Bronco fans smash it with a Sledge Hammer as long as I can get enough to pay off what I owe to the Credit Union jtpollock

Spyder Garage

I would recommend trouble shooting from cause/effect standpoint.

The brake adjusted--then Spyder dead. A to tight cable could have left the brake lights on--causing the battery to go dead. However, riding with the brake on--usually generates a limp mode situation.
    This took about 15 miles for me the one time I let it happen.

If the battery is dead--jumper cables may not be enough oomph to get the battery past the dead mode. A dead battery usually will not re-charge.

I think a battery check is in order--then go from there. If the brake cable is adjusted properly on the RS--it should lock up on one or two clicks. I ran into this a lot on my 2009 SE5. The spouse was always overstepping the brake or forgetting to release it. I got to where I could adjust that sucker in a couple minutes.

Hope you can get it figured out and have some good times with your

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I would recommend trouble shooting from cause/effect standpoint.

The brake adjusted--then Spyder dead. A to tight cable could have left the brake lights on--causing the battery to go dead. However, riding with the brake on--usually generates a limp mode situation.
    This took about 15 miles for me the one time I let it happen.

If the battery is dead--jumper cables may not be enough oomph to get the battery past the dead mode. A dead battery usually will not re-charge.

I think a battery check is in order--then go from there. If the brake cable is adjusted properly on the RS--it should lock up on one or two clicks. I ran into this a lot on my 2009 SE5. The spouse was always overstepping the brake or forgetting to release it. I got to where I could adjust that sucker in a couple minutes.

Hope you can get it figured out and have some good times with your

Does a bad battery light up the dash like normal? I had rider over 40 miles with a few stops in between and there are only 3 clicks to set the park break. I can only hope its only a battery I will have to get a meter to test the battery thanks for the input I really don't want to bet my dead Spyder thanks. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Agree. Once the battery goes, nothing is going to get you going again, except a new battery.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    Does a bad battery light up the dash like normal? I had rider over 40 miles with a few stops in between and there are only 3 clicks to set the park break. I can only hope its only a battery I will have to get a meter to test the battery thanks for the input I really don't want to bet my dead Spyder thanks. jtpollock
    A bad battery tends to give nasty warning screens on power up. Others have said the DPS system is a big power draw and makes the computer go crazy. A dead battery should give nothing. Another quick check item--make sure all battery connections are tight. They have been known to rattle loose.

Apparently they have done some refinements to the parking brake pedal adjustment--the "primitive" set up on the 2008/2009 models was what I was accustomed to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Read thru this a couple of times, and I'm not trying to be funny, but have you checked the engine stop switch? Nobody's mentioned it and I've been caught a few times by it.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Read thru this a couple of times, and I'm not trying to be funny, but have you checked the engine stop switch? Nobody's mentioned it and I've been caught a few times by it.

john
    john,

Ya that was the first thing I checked cause it burnt me before... thanks wish it could be that easy jtpollock

Spyder Garage

john
    This was gonna be my next suggestion...

Spyder Garage

john
    Me to.....glad I am not the only one to have it happen to. Also even though it is an SE make sure it is in neutral.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

which dealer did you take it too? did you call them?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    Me to.....glad I am not the only one to have it happen to. Also even though it is an SE make sure it is in neutral.

I know someone out there will come up with something I have not thought of... my frustration just keeps growing there has to be
    an answer jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    I know someone out there will come up with something I have not thought of... my frustration just keeps growing there has to be
    an answer jtpollock
    BRP do you care I think not!!! jtpollock

Spyder Garage

I had the exact thing happen to my 2011 RS-S at the beginning of the season. Went for a ride, stopped for about an hour, went to start it to come home, nothing. Dash lit up with VSS and other lights, as soon as I hit the starter switch, the dash would die. I put a battery charger on it for a little bit and the starter would click rapidly meaning there was not enough voltage. I put a set of booster cables on it and hooked to a buddys truck and it took almost 20 minutes of running the truck to get enough charge in the battery to start the spyder. Got it home, and it died in my driveway. After troubleshooting everything, I found that my battery was internally shorted and causing a huge draw on the system. Got a new battery, been fine for the last 2000 km.

Spyder Garage

Geeze take the battery out and get it tested then go to Batteries + and go for a ride already. My money is you have a dead cell in the battery.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Agree. Once the battery goes, nothing is going to get you going again, except a new battery.

AJ
    Agree,, ask me how i know

Spyder Garage

Boosting a dead battery takes a while, gotta connect it and let it run for a while.
    Too bad it ain't an SM, you could push start it easily, which is what I did for a week.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Outkazt RS-S View Post
    I had the exact thing happen to my 2011 RS-S at the beginning of the season. Went for a ride, stopped for about an hour, went to start it to come home, nothing. Dash lit up with VSS and other lights, as soon as I hit the starter switch, the dash would die. I put a battery charger on it for a little bit and the starter would click rapidly meaning there was not enough voltage. I put a set of booster cables on it and hooked to a buddys truck and it took almost 20 minutes of running the truck to get enough charge in the battery to start the spyder. Got it home, and it died in my driveway. After troubleshooting everything, I found that my battery was internally shorted and causing a huge draw on the system. Got a new battery, been fine for the last 2000 km.
    Same here with the 2010 RS-S. Parked her one night and the next morning. Lights go on then...click, click, click. Battery swap did the trick for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A battery that is dying... but not yet dead; will appear to light the dash normally. Right up until you push the starter button!
    If you have the battery load-tested, it'll tell you for sure!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Take some that energy from frustration and change the BATTERY

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    which dealer did you take it too? did you call them?

RPM on Wadsworth Blvd and no I have not called them as they were closed on Sunday and Monday so they will get a call today... To all the rest I will be pulling the Battery out today and you say Batteries Plus do they carry a replacement for the Spyder it will be worth it to me just to get back on the road and if it runs good I won't have to push it down to the tracks and wait for the Train... Here's to Hope thanks to all that have responded this is one or the reasons I like this site jtopllock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Dead battery

My gs did the same thing ...spring start up revealed dead battery .i blamed it on my sound system .so I unplugged it .thw days later same thing .hmmmm now I'm thinking drain on battery .ok so I go to americade ..and wouldn't you guess .! Dead battery one morning .
    im pretty sure these electrical systems don't like being jumped .i hade to leave my Tahoe on for twenty mins to get enough charge into battery to start .but I did notice even charging the battery with charger I would need to keep it on for a minimum of a half hour .
    got a new battery from batteries plus ..a nice one with 350 cca no more problems .even while listening to stereo while installing more LEDs .....now just to fix that damn brake noise when backing up