Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Using 6th gear over drive correctly and vibration

I purchased an F3 and felt the vibration at 65+ right away. A friend of mine that knows engines and bikes in general hopped on and took it for a 20min ride. When he got back I asked him if he felt it too. He said he felt it but it was not the belt. He said you have to use the 6th gear correctly or your bogging the engine. He said push the 5th gear out to 70 to 75 before moving into 6th. 6th gear is an over drive and should only be used at higher speeds. When passing, or curising at higher speeds. Always drop it back into 5th gear when your speed drops back down to 65 if you dont and try to accelerate you will feel the vibration.

So I tried this over the next few days and problem was solved.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 06-15-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to give it a try.

I'll have to give it a try.

Spyder Garage

Overdrive? Ill have to look into that. I believe 6th is direct.
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"To a Carpenter; every problem seems to have a hammer involved in it's solutions..."

Does he know belt drives also?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

if it was an overdrive, why wouldn't they say, 5 + overdrive? and why would the eco mode tell me it's ok to shift into second at any speed above 40 when I'm casually going through the gears if this was so?
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe the "term" overdrive was not exactly technically correct. Lets not focus on that shall we. Just give it a try and you will see what I mean. It worked for me. Granted the gear ratio is much shorter for the F3 but pulling them out just a little and especially 5th when in the 65 to 75 range before going into 6th will not bog the engine producing the vibration.

Spyder Garage

Easy to get into a lively discussion here. Sounds like the same as many of us have been using on the 998. Fifth gear for highway speeds--60 and above for me.

My Experience: The 1330 is geared for lower rpm operation and I have been shifting between 3000 - 3500 rpms pretty much all the time on all the gears. The ECO mode says shift at less rpms for first and second--if you use it.

When driving at 45 to 50 mph on a level surface, I snick it into sixth and just cruise along at about 2800 rpms. If I have to juice it up to pass someone, a twist on the throttle brings the 1330 to speed without the need to shift down.

Here, I would hardly ever be using sixth--since our top speed roads are posted at 65 and 70 mph.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

45-50 mph?
    ...And the F-3s are geared lower!
    If the tranny will let you shift into top gear; do it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    45-50 mph?
    ...And the F-3s are geared lower!
    If the tranny will let you shift into top gear; do it!
    I edited straightaway to level surface. Here I have a 15 miles twisty section with 40 and 45 mph curves which is very scenic. I like to go slow and enjoy the sights. Little to no traffic allows such.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I'm just loafing along; the bike won't kick down into fifth, until I drop to 35 mph...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok ok meat heads, all I am saying is try it. LOL
    Last edited by Tazzel; 06-15-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Ok ok meat heads, all I am saying it try it. LOL
    That was my intent for sure.

A lot of us have changed over from high rev operation to the lower rev operation of the 1330. Me, I kind of like the peace, quiet, and less "busy" operation of the 1330.

I did wind mine out to 4500 on an entry ramp yesterday--in the lower gears--in order to blend with traffic that was moving right along.

I do suspect that many F3 owners are doing just what you suggested.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok ok meat heads, all I am saying it try it. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Overdriven

I purchased an F3 and felt the vibration at 65+ right away. A friend of mine that knows engines and bikes in general hopped on and took it for a 20min ride. When he got back I asked him if he felt it too. He said he felt it but it was not the belt. He said you have to use the 6th gear correctly or your bogging the engine. He said push the 5th gear out to 70 to 75 before moving into 6th. 6th gear is an over drive and should only be used at higher speeds. When passing, or curising at higher speeds. Always drop it back into 5th gear when your speed drops back down to 65 if you dont and try to accelerate you will feel the vibration.

At least that's a different line of thinking, however, that doesn't do it for me. Vibration occurs in any gear. Great that it works for you though.

Ron

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have felt it in various gears but mostly in 6th gear, I just stretch out the gears a little more so I no longer bog the engine,

Spyder Garage

I feel it in 5th or 6th at 3900-4100 rpm, but 6th is worse.
    Has anyone used a camera to see the belt flapping around???
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Not true at all.....vibration IS NOT rpm-related!
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope your right and adjusting the belt or slapping a belt tension device on will work for you but I don’t think it will. Lets keep fingers crossed.

stretching out the gears and especially between 5th and 6th eliminated the problem for me. Never accelerate in 6th gear if your at or under 67/68 or your going to feel it big time. Drop down to 5th and accelerate to 70 then push into 6th. You can cruise in 6th at 65 but don’t accelerate.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 06-30-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikind7 View Post
    Overdrive? Ill have to look into that. I believe 6th is direct.
    Not trying to pick on you Mikind, just using your post as an example of the prevailing thoughts.

Went & looked at the advertising & publicity blurbs that came out with the 'new 1330' motor & once you get past the top level guff, most of it also refers to the 'new 6 speed overdrive gearbox' or uses similar terms to describe the gearbox internals....with a 1:0.91 drive ratio - so from that I'd guess that at least 6th IS an overdrive gear.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don't feel any vibration at any speed now that I have stopped eating Mexican food.

Jack

​Sorry I could not resist.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not trying to pick on you Mikind, just using your post as an example of the prevailing thoughts.

Went & looked at the advertising & publicity blurbs that came out with the 'new 1330' motor & once you get past the top level guff, most of it also refers to the 'new 6 speed overdrive gearbox' or uses similar terms to describe the gearbox internals....with a 1:0.91 drive ratio - so from that I'd guess that at least 6th IS an overdrive gear.
    I stand corrected.
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

I have felt it in various gears but mostly in 6th gear, I just stretch out the gears a little more so I no longer bog the engine,
    If you own a 1330 SE6, your engine will not start to bog until it @ 40 mph. That is the fact of the situation.
    I travel all around town at 45 and in 6th. Never a problem and always enough torque to pass if required.
    I will add, IF I need to accelerate quickly, I will then drop to 5th, but only for quick acceleration in town.

Not having an SM6, it may be different, but SE6 does not need to be S T R E C H E D out.
    BTW - Once I had my tires properly balanced and laser aligned, my vibration disappeared. Which when it occurred was a speed factor 75 - 80 and not an RPM factor.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default That "explains" it . . . .

Hope your right and adjusting the belt or slapping a belt tension device on will work for you but I don’t think it will. Lets keep fingers crossed.

stretching out the gears and especially between 5th and 6th eliminated the problem for me. Never accelerate in 6th gear if your at or under 67/68 or your going to feel it big time. Drop down to 5th and accelerate to 70 then push into 6th. You can cruise in 6th at 65 but don’t accelerate.
    . . . . . but given the number of nit-pickers that ride Spyders, I am sure the debate and whining will rage on.

Thanks for posting your solution Taz.

I have never had the vibration issue and now I am beginning to understand why. When I first heard about the 'issue' I went out next tried to find it on my F3. Not there. It never occurred to me to engage 6th gear at anything under 70mph - like, who would do that?

When you first posted this thread, I went out and tested shifting into 6th around 60mph - and yes, there was "vibration" right around 70mph as I acelerated. As someone else mentioned, it felt a lot like riding on grooved pavement- not bad, but noticeable.

I am no expert, so I don't know if it is the engine bogging down, belt vibrations/harmonics, the nature of the new gearbox or even something else, but ( for me ) shifting as you recommended eliminates the effect. I would expect it would for other F3 riders, but it will mean adjusting their shifting habits - and it is easier to just complain about it.

So, about 2 weeks have passed since you posted " a fix " and nobody seems to have tried it, or thanked you or corrected you. Seems your meathead comment was spot on too.

Taz, you are batting a thousand, keep it up!

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default me too

I've also never/rarely experienced the vibration and I also shift at higher points. I would never shift to 6th at 45. only at that point do I even think about shifting to 5th and that's more like 48 before I shift to 5th. If I'm cruising along at 45, I'm still in 4th. (oops, said 3rd -- need more coffee this morning!)
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is it dangerous to be "cursing at higher speeds"?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.