Spyder Garage

Default Fear & Loathing on the highway....NNJ edition

So the Spyder is my first & only bike...I call it my 'mid-life-tryke'....ok...maybe my PRE-mid-life-tryke....but you get the idea....

anyway, I've had it a year now & have just over 2k on the odometer...so add my motorcycle class to that and you get my experience level (puttering around as a kid don't count)

picked up the Spyder about 100 miles away & rode it home on the back roads as there was no way I was taking my new toy on the thruway first day out....and 287 scares me in my Sprinter van....

Since then, I ride any chance I get...my shop is only a 5 minute ride, but on nice days I go the LONG way on the Spyder....but when I have work out of my shop (usually in NYC or Brooklyn) I still take the SUV or the VAN....now it's one thing if I have to carry gear, but the other reason is that the highway still scares the outta me! So...I practice.....on the aforementioned long way to my office, I go well out of my way to get a chunk of highway in there...and not just any highway...I take route 46 through Fairfield & Wayne...its a 4-lane 55mph road with a spaghetti-bowl in the middle & stripmalls and whatnot on the sides, so driveways leading right onto the road!

In trying to overcome my fears I read any discussions I could find here and found some really good advice....the one about the death grip and imagining holding an egg between your hand and the throttle was GREAT! also the thread with the Ryder in ST Louis with all the people talking about how the idea of driving thru town scared them, but the highway DIDN'T...well, as someone who regularly has to navigate a long & tall Sprinter thru one of the Hudson River crossings, thru Manhattan and then across the East River into Brooklyn or Queens, well, THAT part don't scare me, but doing 65 on rt 3 getting TO the Tunnel, well, that's another story....

So again I practice...I figure if I can get 46 under my belt and stay way from my fellow NNJ drivers, I'm doing OK....I ran up the length of 23 today (which for those who don't know, switches between a 35mph 2 lane road to a 8-lane 55MPH pseudo highway....and back again...while crossing over 2 interstates as well) on the return trip confidence was high...I avoided all the cages that were trying to kill me, I stayed out of blind spots (even goosing it to get past someone) and even passed a bus! (yay me!) as many have said, just time in the seat do it....comfortable & relaxed while still aware of everyone out there trying to kill you....

my silly season is starting up (yay fall TV!) and there will be meetings about meetings aplenty...hopefully before the cold sets in I'll make good on my plan to be able to take the Spyder to Greenpoint or Long Island City or Astoria or the Navy Yard for one of them....
    So thus endith my catharsis for the day....my thanks to those that contribute to these boards ..as they are an INVALUABLE recourse to a n00b like me....the "do's and do not's" thread really should just be linked to on page one of the manual and added to the silly pull out card on the dash....

Mike
    frelancr

2014 Spyder RT-S, Black on black, no mods (unless you count the BRP backrest!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I first started riding motorcycles, I decided riding to work would be the best way to get comfortable riding. So I plotted a course that only had right turns. Pretty soon I was much more confident. I got used to thruways pretty much the same way.

Enjoy your silly season.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike
    You will get over your fear just keep riding... but remember if you get completely over fear then don't get back on
    a little fear keeps you awake and aware... be glad you ride in the area you do where most drivers drive SLOW...
    that is why everyone keeps honking their damn horn. In California if you did 55 mph in a 55 mph zone you would
    be run down the sign says 55 but the cars, trucks and motorcycles are usually doing 70mph or more.....
    and they almost never honk the horn, San Francisco and LA freeways can be intimidating.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by frelancr View Post
    So the Spyder is my first & only bike...I call it my 'mid-life-tryke'....ok...maybe my PRE-mid-life-tryke....but you get the idea....

anyway, I've had it a year now & have just over 2k on the odometer...so add my motorcycle class to that and you get my experience level (puttering around as a kid don't count)

picked up the Spyder about 100 miles away & rode it home on the back roads as there was no way I was taking my new toy on the thruway first day out....and 287 scares me in my Sprinter van....

Since then, I ride any chance I get...my shop is only a 5 minute ride, but on nice days I go the LONG way on the Spyder....but when I have work out of my shop (usually in NYC or Brooklyn) I still take the SUV or the VAN....now it's one thing if I have to carry gear, but the other reason is that the highway still scares the outta me! So...I practice.....on the aforementioned long way to my office, I go well out of my way to get a chunk of highway in there...and not just any highway...I take route 46 through Fairfield & Wayne...its a 4-lane 55mph road with a spaghetti-bowl in the middle & stripmalls and whatnot on the sides, so driveways leading right onto the road!

In trying to overcome my fears I read any discussions I could find here and found some really good advice....the one about the death grip and imagining holding an egg between your hand and the throttle was GREAT! also the thread with the Ryder in ST Louis with all the people talking about how the idea of driving thru town scared them, but the highway DIDN'T...well, as someone who regularly has to navigate a long & tall Sprinter thru one of the Hudson River crossings, thru Manhattan and then across the East River into Brooklyn or Queens, well, THAT part don't scare me, but doing 65 on rt 3 getting TO the Tunnel, well, that's another story....

So again I practice...I figure if I can get 46 under my belt and stay way from my fellow NNJ drivers, I'm doing OK....I ran up the length of 23 today (which for those who don't know, switches between a 35mph 2 lane road to a 8-lane 55MPH pseudo highway....and back again...while crossing over 2 interstates as well) on the return trip confidence was high...I avoided all the cages that were trying to kill me, I stayed out of blind spots (even goosing it to get past someone) and even passed a bus! (yay me!) as many have said, just time in the seat do it....comfortable & relaxed while still aware of everyone out there trying to kill you....

my silly season is starting up (yay fall TV!) and there will be meetings about meetings aplenty...hopefully before the cold sets in I'll make good on my plan to be able to take the Spyder to Greenpoint or Long Island City or Astoria or the Navy Yard for one of them....
    So thus endith my catharsis for the day....my thanks to those that contribute to these boards ..as they are an INVALUABLE recourse to a n00b like me....the "do's and do not's" thread really should just be linked to on page one of the manual and added to the silly pull out card on the dash....

Mike
    frelancr

Spyder Garage

Hello frelancr: It does sound like you are figuring things out very well. You do live in an interesting area and have a lot of crazy things to deal with on the road.

I will take Moose dodging any day.

Always drive with the attitude that "they" are out to get you and "they" will do something stupid or worse. That has saved my bacon more than once.

Be safe and enjoy your to the max.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hello fellow New Jersey rider

I totally get your fear . I live near you in Montclair so I know the roads you are talking about. I've been on 280,46,10 and 22. The more you ride the more comfortable you will get. New York is an entirely different animal. I will only ride in upstate. Not the city. Shoot me a pm on the weekend if you want to jump on One of the highways.
    Chris

Spyder Garage

It might be helpful for you to ride with some other people.
    RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.
    Don't let others force your pace, but you might feel more comfortable when you're in the presence of a small group.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike!
    Fear can be a paralyzing monster...
    If you continue to remain alert to your surroundings, and log more miles; your "concerns..." will fade!
    Why not hit 287 (I know it well...) in the "off-hours", for some practice?
    Better yet; find some other Spyder riders around you, and try some group rides with them. (The whole "Safety in Numbers" thing...)
    If you're close to NYS; come North through Port Jervis, and take Route 97 up along the Delaware River. It's a beautiful ride, with lots of things to see, and places to eat!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I tend to drive a little more aggressive and decisive in the city. Master your space, keep alert to all around you. If someone wants around you and is driving more agressive, back off and let them by without your emotions taking over. Enjoy your ride, city driving can be very enjoyable in a different way.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default City driving doesn't faze me....

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I tend to drive a little more aggressive and decisive in the city. Master your space, keep alert to all around you. If someone wants around you and is driving more agressive, back off and let them by without your emotions taking over. Enjoy your ride, city driving can be very enjoyable in a different way.
    Like I said, I regularlly drive from the suburban NJ most-densly-packed area of the US through Manhattan so THAT part don't scare me....now if I'm in my long & tall Sprinter, I know I'm seen and the silly people driving their BMWs to the same job for the same hours every day tend to avoid me...maybe I'll just add some additional farkles to the Ryde to accomplish that....methinks in the city the Spyder will still garner a few second glances as well....while still accomplishing the 'be seen' goal

I notice though that it's not the speed generally that bothers me, but the number of idiots on the road...I noticed the other day that I had a bit of deja-vu when on one of my practice runs....I felt the same way I did when I was 16 and my father was teaching me how to drive...as part of that he would take me to work and make me drive HIS van...in the left lane on I-95 in Miami....taking the Spyder on the highway now brings back some of those memories....

I'm just hoping that as with driving the Van in the left lane, I got more comfortable, the same will happen with the Spyder....

In the meantime, I'm still loving' my long meandering rides thru the back roads!

M

Spyder Garage

I would suggest a Baja Ron Sway bar. When I got mine, My confidence shot threw the roof. I felt more in control. I hear you about the other morons on the road. You are the most visible of motorcycles on an RT.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

when he said "driving in the city" i am assuming he meant NYC, i drive a truck down there 2 days a week from albany and i wouldnt be caught dead on my spyder anywhere below poughkeepsie. sorry i know that will upset some people from downstate that think anything above the tapppan zee bridge is upstate.
    i am convinced that the true upstate NY starts about 30 mins north of albany and there are great roads to ride up there everyday where everybody is not trying to kill you and most people speak english

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've driven in northern NJ a lot in a car. I would also hate to get on 287. Stick o the secondary road until you're comfortable, and just keep getting out there and practicing!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default So I guess I'm brave?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    when he said "driving in the city" i am assuming he meant NYC, i drive a truck down there 2 days a week from albany and i wouldnt be caught dead on my spyder anywhere below poughkeepsie. sorry i know that will upset some people from downstate that think anything above the tapppan zee bridge is upstate.
    i am convinced that the true upstate NY starts about 30 mins north of albany and there are great roads to ride up there everyday where everybody is not trying to kill you and most people speak english
    I learned to drive in Miami...so there's THAT....and I've been up here almost 25 years now so city traffic don't faze me none....and while I don't drive a truck, my Sprinter is 22' long & 9' tall ...I can parallel park that sucker like no ones business!

and yes, "the city" is NYC....is there really any other?

we get up towards Woodstock a couple times a year and can't WAIT to get the ryde up there...now I just gotta convince SWMBO to ride up there...otherwise I'm gonna have to shell out for a trailer....

M

Spyder Garage

woodstock is a really nice area to ride, if you can just go a little farther north or even west from there you can ride for hours and not hit a traffic light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NYC nightmares start at the Tappan Zee...
    Anything North of there;
    If you get to Harriman; take Rte. 17 West. It'll bring you bring you to some REALLY great roads and scenery!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Too bad I am not in the US with you! haha, we have twin Spyders, mine is black too. I too am new, but I have already drove it in crazy "China" like traffic here in Mexico. Here no one has went to driving school except us foreigners! I think! But I make my space, if someone wants to be a jerk, they can do that all by themselves. I just back off and let them by. A few have cut me off closely, and I just slow down and off they go thinking they are big studs or something! haha, I don't know what they think, but I suppose there has to be some jealousy and envy out there, after all I am a woman and I have a big bad ass bike and they don't. haha, I am learning everyday, and being as careful as possible on it, I like the lonely curvy roads and mostly that is where I go unless I have to go into the city (which I have only done once, but I felt fine). It is a slow process, but you will get there! Congratulations!

Laura

Spyder Garage

Default Somerset, NJ

I live west of Philly so my first highway ride was 422 and 202. Quite the adventure. We have an office on Somerset so I have ridden there. 202 to 22 to 287. You are correct in saying that 287 is full of potential killers. I would suggest an air horn.

You will stand out though. Honestly, I don't think I would risk 287 alone on the Sportster unless I really had to... and I ride that bike on the Schuylkill expressway with no trepidation. I will take the Spyder all day long.
    Last edited by CanAmChris; 06-16-2015 at 07:47 PM.