Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Wiring Harness Problem

I have the 2014 RT and a Lumina trailer. The trailer has a flat 5-pin wiring harness and the Spyder has the stock 4-pin square plug. Anyone know how I can convert the Spyder plug to a flat 5-pin? I tried to search this site but didn't find an answer Thank you!!

Spyder Garage

Here in Australia we have a flat 7 pin harness but only use 5 of the pins. My dealer just rewired my 2015 RTS by removing all the rear Plastic and basically tapping into the break lights, blinkers and tail light and earth.

Spyder Garage

I had a similar issue. I used a 4 pin plug at the bike end and built a custom cable to a flat 4 plug at the trailer. My trailer was 4 wire not 5 but others have just abandoned / combined the brake / single leads to connect to the 4 wires. Others have cut into the bikes wiring; with the BRP wiring there is a convertor from the bikes 5 wires to the 4 wire for the output.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check these threads:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-plug-adapter
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default I have a bit of a different problem

We have a 2013 RTS and found a second-hand Harbor Freight trailer. I bought the Big Bike harness for the RTS, but haven't installed it yet. I also haven't wired in the flat 5 pin connector that the instructions called for.
    The trailer was already wired up for a 6 pin rectangular connector. I can't find where the BB harness can be wired with a 6 pin connector. And I can't find a converter to drop from the 6 to a 5 pin. Do I have to rewire the trailer to make this work?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look up posts by Nancy's Toy...
    Scotty addressed this several times, and I'm pretty sure that if you use the "Search" button...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmlackey View Post
    We have a 2013 RTS and found a second-hand Harbor Freight trailer. I bought the Big Bike harness for the RTS, but haven't installed it yet. I also haven't wired in the flat 5 pin connector that the instructions called for.
    The trailer was already wired up for a 6 pin rectangular connector. I can't find where the BB harness can be wired with a 6 pin connector. And I can't find a converter to drop from the 6 to a 5 pin. Do I have to rewire the trailer to make this work?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Todd
    Uh, I think you're headed in the wrong direction. Take a close look at the picture. What you have is a 4 wire trailer harness. By 4 wire I mean you have a left stop/turn, right stop/turn, tail, and ground. The yellow and green are the stop/turn wires, the brown are tail, and the white ground. You will need a 5 to 4 wire converter for you BB harness because the Spyder has left turn, right turn, stop, tail, and ground. Stop is brake. Then you can just use a 6 wire connector but only use 4 of the wires. Or better yet, cut off the 6 wire connector and splice in a flat 4 wire connector.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Uh, I think you're headed in the wrong direction. Take a close look at the picture. What you have is a 4 wire trailer harness. By 4 wire I mean you have a left stop/turn, right stop/turn, tail, and ground. The yellow and green are the stop/turn wires, the brown are tail, and the white ground. You will need a 5 to 4 wire converter for you BB harness because the Spyder has left turn, right turn, stop, tail, and ground. Stop is brake. Then you can just use a 6 wire connector but only use 4 of the wires. Or better yet, cut off the 6 wire connector and splice in a flat 4 wire connector.
    So the red and blue wires connected to the brown are extraneous and not used for anything? Is that correct? The person who wired the connector just bundled them in with the brown to do something with them and they're probably dead/not active pins?

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

personally i would convert the trailer to the spyder the 4 square wire is a lot better

http://www.delcity.net/store/4!Way-S...nnector/p_8892

You will connect right and left brake wires to the right and left turn signal/brake wires from the vehicle.
    Last edited by mastertek2000; 06-25-2015 at 03:59 AM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    personally i would convert the trailer to the spyder the 4 square wire is a lot better

http://www.delcity.net/store/4!Way-S...nnector/p_8892

You will connect right and left brake wires to the right and left turn signal/brake wires from the vehicle.
    The BB harness is 5 wire so he'll need the 5 to 4 wire converter. Since he'll have to add a connector to both the bike harness and trailer harness I think the flat 4 is the easier to use. If the bike already had the factory trailer harness on it then yes, the 4 square would be the one to use.

tmlackey, yes there are two extraneous wires on the 6 wire connector you don't need.

You can pick up a 5 to 4 converter at most any place that sells trailer wiring such as Advance or NAPA. If there aren't enough instructions with the converter an internet search will give you the instructions on how to use the converter and the standard wiring colors and which goes to which light on the trailer.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-25-2015 at 10:47 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions

I'll see about getting things put together from here. I appreciate the help.