Spyder Garage

Default Battery/electrical issue

Ok, I did a search and didn't find anything helpful. After winter storage and hooked up to a tender I found a dead battery on my 09. Replaced the battery and buttoned it back up. A week later not enough juice to fire it up. Tender is giving me a no charge light.

Battery was fully charged before install. So I guess I need to track down the drain source but no idea how to start. Ideas welcome!
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Certainly possible it's a bad battery.Hook an amp meter between the positive cable and the battery, that will show how much of a drain there is, after that start pulling fuses and see what effect each has. Did you install any farkles on it over the winter?

Spyder Garage

Nothing new installed recently but it does have tons of after market stuff that could be part of the problem.
    Sam Mancuso

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to pull the battery and bench charge it with your tender. Your battery tender is good? See how fast it charges sitting on the bench as opposed to being in the bike. Meter your battery to see how fast it drops a charge just sitting on the bench with the tender disconnected. If the battery seems to hold a charge, then follow the recommendation of pulling the fuses one at a time. I went through this last fall with my Harley. I spent several hours troubleshooting and tracking down the problem(battery going bad). Then one Saturday my wife saw a new Spyder on the showroom floor. Fortunately, I had not bought a new battery yet.

Spyder Garage

Update, I de skinned the soyder last night and checked all of my connections. I found 2 things out of the ordinary- the fuse on the lead for the tender was blown and the connection for my tricled trunk opener was loose. I replaced the fuse and disconnected the trunk opener and switched out the 4 relays for good measure. I also jumped the bike using a portable jump. I hooked her up to the trickle charger overnight and all seems well this am.

No definitive cause for the blown fuse but it certainly could have happened during the battery install. I also think the trunk opener could have added to the issue. Time will tell and bringing the portable jumper will be a must.
    Sam Mancuso

Spyder Garage

I use my Battery Tender connection to run my little air compressor. The first time I used the compressor it blew the little 3 amp or whatever fuse that comes with the tender's pigtail cord. I replaced it with a 10 or 15 amp fuse, haven't had a problem since.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    Update, I de skinned the soyder last night and checked all of my connections. I found 2 things out of the ordinary- the fuse on the lead for the tender was blown and the connection for my tricled trunk opener was loose. I replaced the fuse and disconnected the trunk opener and switched out the 4 relays for good measure. I also jumped the bike using a portable jump. I hooked her up to the trickle charger overnight and all seems well this am.

No definitive cause for the blown fuse but it certainly could have happened during the battery install. I also think the trunk opener could have added to the issue. Time will tell and bringing the portable jumper will be a must.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Ugh, thought she was fine but quickly realized it was not. Went out and all was well until I got a battery level notice then tons of error notices. It stalled on a side street and is dead. Tried to bump start but she wouldn't stay running. Flatbed on the way.
    Sam Mancuso