Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Installed Lamonster 1330 Performance Pipe (Cat Delete) 15 RT Limited

Yesterday I installed the Lamonster 1330 Performance Pipe on my 2014 RT Ltd which replaces the Catalytic Converter. The product seems to be well made with frame hangers and spring connectors similar to the factory catalytic converter. The product does not come with any instructions, and Lamonster is clear about this on his website. I don't know why he doesn't include any instructions, but so be it. I installed by leaving the bike on the ground. I did not raise or jack up anything. Here are the steps I took for the installation:

1. My first challenge was removing the 3 springs that connect the Cat Convert to the exhaust pipe coming from the engine. I tried pliers, an awl, screw driver, vise grips, ring expander pliers, etc. and nothing worked. I found the following video on youtube and followed this method for both removal and replacement. This worked very well, but not as effortless as implied by the video. Still, it's the best solution I've found. The video link is:

2. Disconnected the clamp holding the muffler to the Cat Convert. I loosened it a great deal and left it on the muffler side.

3. I removed the muffler to give myself more room in dealing with removing the Cat Convert as I figured I would have to move it around to get it out of the top mounting rubber bracket and the two front ones. I don't know if you have to remove the muffler, but I'm glad I did.

4. I then removed the Cat Convert by push/prod/giggle until it came out. I was careful to make sure I didn't mess up any of the rubber mounts.

5. I then installed the 1330 Performance Pipe to the upper rubber bracket and into the two forward rubber mounts and connected two of the three springs using the method in the video. My exception to the video was I used my leg/foot to pull the spring open as I needed both hands free to position the spring into the clip. I was laying on my side on the garage floor next to the bike using my foot for leverage and my hands for positioning. I took my rope and created a loop at the end where I could push with my leg to pull (expand) the spring. This freed my hands for positioning. I was unable to get the inside-most third spring by myself. I'll do it when my neighbor can help me. I could probably get it done by myself, but I didn't want to risk getting a finger pinched by the spring as I was trying to pull using my leg and use my hands in an area that is tough to see.

6. I then re-hung the muffler from its single mounting bolt, leaving the bolt loose. Note: This muffler is heavy! Now I'm wondering if I should consider an after market muffler as my next option to reduce weight and improve performance.

7. I positioned the muffler end connection to the pipe end connection and giggled everything to get all of it in the best position possible. I then reinstalled the clamp connecting the muffler to the pipe.

8. Lastly I tightened up the muffler mounting bolt and made sure everything seemed secure and proper.

I've taken only one short ride since doing the installation. There is a bit more of an exhaust note, but nothing obnoxious. The bike sounds a bit more like a high performance engine vs. just louder. I don't like a loud exhaust as I find it gets tiring on a long ride. I think this exhaust note change will be fine. I also don't know anything yet about performance. As I learn more I'll share more.

I hope these instructions help you as I always appreciate the guidance I get from others.

Update: 6/15/15 - Got the 3rd spring on with both a rope and the Harbor Freight spring puller suggested by Jaymac. I put the rope around the T-Handle and used my foot to pull the spring; finally got it in. Had to tweak the muffler to exhaust clamp as the muffler was sitting too close to the parking brake cable connector. I loosened the clamp and pulled the muffler out a bit further from the bike and retightened the clamp. After about 300 miles riding the muffler is staying a comfortable distance from the parking brake cable connector. Everything else continues to look good.

Rob
    Last edited by robhowen; 06-15-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Updated information

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely written

explanation. Thanks.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Maybe an admin can move this to DIY section of the forums. Hopefully Lamonster will include some instructions soon! Care to do a sound clip?
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Default T handle from harbor Frieght

I found a spring installer T handle from Harbor Freight for $5.00 has a hook on other end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Wink May have to do with Federal law

I would like to hazard a guess. I think that the lack of written directions may and I repeat may have something to do with the fact that it is a violation of federal law to remove a catalytic converter in the United States. I repeat, this is just a guess. I'm sure that someone on SL may have more legal knowledge about this and I certainly am not implying that this is a legal opinion. It is just a guess. In no way am I implying that our fearless leader would empower anyone to break a federal law.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Sorry, I had not noticed the DYI section. I'll do such in the future.
    Rob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    I would like to hazard a guess. I think that the lack of written directions may and I repeat may have something to do with the fact that it is a violation of federal law to remove a catalytic converter in the United States. I repeat, this is just a guess. I'm sure that someone on SL may have more legal knowledge about this and I certainly am not implying that this is a legal opinion. It is just a guess. In no way am I implying that our fearless leader would empower anyone to break a federal law.
    Do you have a specific law that refers to the removal of the cat converter? nothing I have found mentions any requirement to have one.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Sorry, I had not noticed the DYI section. I'll do such in the future.
    Rob
    Can we get a sound clip
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Default Audio Clip

Here you go. You may listen to it at: http://youtu.be/UTKolxwieIc

Rob

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up As of Jan 1 1988

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    Do you have a specific law that refers to the removal of the cat converter? nothing I have found mentions any requirement to have one.
    Try www.epa.gov/otag/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf I'm going to infer that you are reasonably internet literate so you can read this for yourself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a video showing the process of removing the cat convert from a 2014 rt and replacing it with a straight pipe from https://www.baldwinironworks.com/pro...at-bypass-pipe

https://youtu.be/TtNo1hmV_OE

For easy reference, this is the one from Lamonster Garage https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...lacement-pipe/
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-26-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I am probably wrong, but too lazy to search. My understanding is that this is a primary muffler and NOT a catalytic converter? So legally not an issue?
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    I am probably wrong, but too lazy to search. My understanding is that this is a primary muffler and NOT a catalytic converter? So legally not an issue?
    That's a euphemism. It's a catalytic converter.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You just keep thinking that when they tell you," press hard cause there are three copies".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's a euphemism. It's a catalytic converter.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You just keep thinking that when they tell you," press hard cause there are three copies".
    Here in Oz, there's no 'legal requirement' for motorcycles to have cat converters (not yet!) but some do, some don't. . Only I expect that if anyone still keeps on making gas powered ICE motorcycles into the future that'll probably change over time. . But for right now, a cat delete is one of the first mods made to many of the new bikes that come with them - I've even seen some brand new Pre-delivery Police Motorcycles destined for service in a couple of States lining up to get that done as part of their Pre-delivery Police Spec set-up.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's a catalytic converter.
    Pete, watching this video reminded me....the one from Lamonster Garage that I got did NOT have the plug. Only had the baffle.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Years ago when I had my Harley and swapped out the OEM mufflers for the nice Vance & Hines pipes that are marked "not legal for street use," I asked my smog shop tech when were they going to start smog checking MC's? He laughed and said probably never. Wow, how come? He said the state is so behind now they may never catch up on smog certifications for the newer cars coming out. Now you don't have to smog cert a car until it's 7 years old. That's how far they're behind now. And with the covid caused slowdown, who knows when it will run out to maybe 10/12 years? But still, you can't register your car for the coming year unless you have a current/valid smog certificate. That's where they get you at least in my state anyway. I don't know about other states but the greenies are out to get you any way they can no matter what. They can track everything you do by computer, which is no secret. But that's a topic we can't talk about here. So, don't get rid of your cat just yet. Hang on to it for a while, cause you never know.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 07-27-2022 at 06:46 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about other states but the greenies are out to get you any way they can no matter what. They can track everything you do by computer, which is no secret. But that's a topic we can't talk about here. So, don't get rid of your cat just yet. Hang on to it for a while, cause you never know.
    I'm still waiting to be issued my scofflaw tracking computer. Must have something to do with the chip shortage I imagine!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered the Baldwin Iron Works one for $150 on Ebay. Should be here next Tuesday. I've also ordered fiberglass exhaust pipe wrap to further cut the heat emanating from the pipe. I'll post a How-To thread with plenty of photos when I do the install.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-27-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete. Waiting with bated breath to hear about the performance mod.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

When this Lamonster bypass pipe was first released around 2014, I purchased one and installed it back then. No other changes to the exhaust system, still running the oem muffler. Back then, and still to this day, I love not having, the Harley, broken lawnmower muffler, sound.
    Since we have a lot of very high performance expensive sports cars locally, it is apparent that, while the Spyder does not have the V12 sound, it does have a great high performance tone when on the gas.

While fuel mileage did not really increase, the mid range power is stronger and the engine is freer revving. Certainly not the mod if you are expecting to sound like a Harley, and definitely not the mod of choice if you never wind the revs much.

FWIW, the purchase of this was not even to alter the exhaust note, it was all about heat reduction for the passenger. The heat reduction was huge, without wrapping any of the exhaust pipes.

These days other companies offer bypass pipes. This Lamonster pipe though, is welded stainless segments, just as they would build race exhausts. No crimped tubes from poorly bent designs, no resonators, no fancy coatings, simply, no fluff, just a great, high quality performance pipe that fits and works well.

Still to this day, a very cool mod, and worth every penny.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Here in Oz, there's no 'legal requirement' for motorcycles to have cat converters (not yet!) but some do, some don't. . Only I expect that if anyone still keeps on making gas powered ICE motorcycles into the future that'll probably change over time. . But for right now, a cat delete is one of the first mods made to many of the new bikes that come with them - I've even seen some brand new Pre-delivery Police Motorcycles destined for service in a couple of States lining up to get that done as part of their Pre-delivery Police Spec set-up.
    Well Pete over here in the states we have the state of California, that for some reason mandates all kind of rules and reg's! Everything starts in that state and rolls down to the rest of us, wanted or not! Even our lawn mowers have smog control on them, oh wait, they are using electric mowers in Calif, now so we will be getting the memo soon I believe!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

that thing hanging under our trikes is not a catalytic converter, it's nothing more than a resonator for noise reduction.
    there is zero catalyst inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    that thing hanging under our trikes is not a catalytic converter, it's nothing more than a resonator for noise reduction.
    there is zero catalyst inside.
    Actually, it is a catalytic converter, just not the typical pellet type. Within one of those tubes is a honeycomb mesh that super heats and burns off the bad stuff. I believe the owners manual even state it is a converter, though they do call it a primary muffler.