Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: F3 Vibration

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    I have to agree with Peter here. The F3 is a near-perfect machine, with the two issues being the belt vibes and the turbulence with the windshield installed. Other than that, it is a freakin' phenomenal piece of work.

Considering how bad so many other machines vibrate, we are getting fussy, but regardless of how well a new machine performs we will always strive to make it even better.
    Get a Madstad and turbulence is gone.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post

The Spyder drive belt is a tensioned string system that transmits the drive pinion torque to the rear sprocket via the tension of the upper part of the belt. The natural response of a string system is to vibrate when stretched and released at different speeds and strengths. The accumulated energy of these movements in the belt will be dissipated throughout the entire vehicle through the drive pinion and the rear sprocket.

A momentary belt vibration may be felt when the vehicle is driven under increased load/torque conditions (acceleration and/or going uphill). When the belt tension is within specification, the phenomenon may occur between 3800rpm and 4300rpm in 6th gear on 1330 engines (or between 4700rpm and 5500rpm in 5th gear on 991 engines). This vibration is felt through the handle bars, the foot rests and the seat. The harmonic vibration described here is considered "normal behavior" for such a belt drive system. In no cases is there any damage produced to the unit's mechanical components by this harmonic vibration.

Although belt vibration cannot be entirely eliminated, changing the belt tension will change the RPM/Speed at which the vibration occurs and the amplitude of its occurrences. Adjusting the drive belt tension lower will reduce the vibration level. Under high load/torque conditions, the vibration levels are diminished in amplitude and the RPM which the vibration occurs is lowered by roughly 400rpm.

For someone driving regularly between 68 and 75mph having a lower belt tension means they will feel a belt vibration when going through speeds of 62 to 65mph but at a lower amplitude, and feel less vibrations under acceleration and cruising speed. For someone driving regularly between 62 to 65mph having a belt tension set at specification means they will not feel as much the belt vibration since it occurs at higher RPM/Speed 68 and 75mph.

Statically, the belt tension is based on the distance between the drive pinion and the rear sprocket. The belt can be preset to a specific value using the tension adjustment procedure. While standing on its wheels, the belt tension of the Spyder increases due to the rotation motion of the swing arm. Further additional weight on the vehicle (driver, passenger and luggage) further increases the static tension of the belt.

Dynamically, the big picture is that the belt tension continuously varies with the road surface irregularities. Furthermore, to transmit torque from the drive pinion to the rear sprocket, the given amount of tension is decreased from the lower portion of the belt and transmitted to the upper portion of the belt. The inverse is also true when the vehicle is under deceleration. The amount of tension transferred depends on the acceleration or deceleration of the vehicle and slope of the road.

The belt tension is the factor which determines the belt vibration. The engine speed at which vibration would occur depends solely on the tension of the belt since the length and mass of the belt remains relatively constant. More vibration is transmitted to the vehicle when the tension is high. This effect can be explained by the fact that higher tension implies higher stiffness and higher stiffness implies higher transmissibility. This also explains why even though more vibrations are observed on the lower portion of the belt, only the vibration of the upper portion of the belt is strongly felt on the vehicle due to its higher transmissibility (because it has a higher tension in the majority of driving conditions).

At constant speed and zero road slope, the upper part of the belt has a higher tension than the lower part of the belt due to aerodynamic resistance. Under acceleration and/or hill climb conditions, the upper part of the belt further increases in tension. The degree of acceleration or hill climb proportionally dictates the engine speed at which occurs the belt vibration and the amplitudes of vibration transmitted to the vehicle.

By reducing the tension of the belt, the transmitted vibration at very low torque conditions can be completely removed. The transmitted vibration at higher torque is similar to that of the specification belt tension but occurs at slightly lower RPM/speed.

So basically, if you experience unpleasant vibrations have your drive belt tension checked at three different points of rotation of the rear wheel/sprocket and see how it varies, and compares to the vehicle's specification. If the belt tension changes more than 250N between 2 readings this would indicate an out of round rear sprocket which should be replaced. Otherwise, you can adjust the tension to change the speed and amplitude at which it occurs.
    I just took my F3 to the dealer to have them check the belt tension, hopefully they know what their doing. I get it back, same thing, vibration! I have two other bikes, both belt drive, no vibration. Why should I have to put up with a machine that was nearly twice as expensive with a belt vibration? Is it the difference in quality control between the Japanese manufactures and those that build the Can-Am? If I wanted an expensive vibrator, I would have bought a harley. I like my Spyder a lot, but I can't set cruise control around 69-73 MPH, and enjoy the ride. It reminds me what I felt on my harley that I owned several years ago. Am I expecting too much from this type of ride? Is it inherent with the design of two wheels forward. I own a Roadstar Trike, that I am replaced with the Spyder as my left knee is so messed up, I can no longer shift it comfortably, so I thought the Spyder F3S, SE6 was the answer. My stealership will not admit there is a vibration problem with the F3, and charged $50 to check the belt. I'm really hoping that there is a fix for it. I know about the belt tensioner that some are installing, but it appears that it is hit and miss about fixing the problem entirely. If this ends up being something I have to live with, so be it. I ridden for so many years, and I am not going to quit doing that, so I'll ride it for the long haul, vibrations and all!

Spyder Garage

I was told to ride my F3S to the break in mark then have the belt checked. Have to say, the vibration on the F3 is worse than any of the other Spyders I've owned.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    I just took my F3 to the dealer to have them check the belt tension, hopefully they know what their doing. I get it back, same thing, vibration! I have two other bikes, both belt drive, no vibration. Why should I have to put up with a machine that was nearly twice as expensive with a belt vibration? Is it the difference in quality control between the Japanese manufactures and those that build the Can-Am? If I wanted an expensive vibrator, I would have bought a harley. I like my Spyder a lot, but I can't set cruise control around 69-73 MPH, and enjoy the ride. It reminds me what I felt on my harley that I owned several years ago. Am I expecting too much from this type of ride? Is it inherent with the design of two wheels forward. I own a Roadstar Trike, that I am replaced with the Spyder as my left knee is so messed up, I can no longer shift it comfortably, so I thought the Spyder F3S, SE6 was the answer. My stealership will not admit there is a vibration problem with the F3, and charged $50 to check the belt. I'm really hoping that there is a fix for it. I know about the belt tensioner that some are installing, but it appears that it is hit and miss about fixing the problem entirely. If this ends up being something I have to live with, so be it. I ridden for so many years, and I am not going to quit doing that, so I'll ride it for the long haul, vibrations and all!

As as I have said before, BRP either knew about this and released it anyway or their engineering staff is incompetent...

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration Also

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    So, I took my new F3 on it's first long ride yesterday which entailed some freeway driving. Turns out I have the belt harmonics between 67 mph and 72 mph. Has anyone found a solution to this issue, or has anyone had any success with a resolution through Can Am.
    Closing in on 8000 on mine, same harmonics, read article about not shifting into 6th gear until at least 70 mph, my vibration of the belt is gone....give it a try...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dreid999 View Post
    Closing in on 8000 on mine, same harmonics, read article about not shifting into 6th gear until at least 70 mph, my vibration of the belt is gone....give it a try...
    Yes, I agree. Accelerating through the 3800-4300 rpm range instead of steady-state operation at that rpm should make a difference. Anyone dissatisfied with the vibes should try that. Avoid steady operation at 3800-4300 for reduced vibration.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default The Vibration

You can take these comments for what they are worth. I am a dealer, and I've put over 1,400 miles on my F3. I'll start off by saying all motorcycles, all engines, have a frequency vibration somewhere in their operating range. Triumph motorcycles, which share the same 3 cylinder (120 degree rotating/firing) configuration on many models, tend to have it between 3,000 and 3,400 rpm. It is always there, somewhere. This vibration can and sometimes is amplified thru the drive drain. In the case of a Triumph, it is via the chain or driveshaft. In the case of the F3, it is thru the belt. What makes it especially noticeable on the F3 is the long belt which is required to cover the massive rear sprocket. If you ever get a chance to "see" it occur (there are video's out there of the belt in action, and when the frequency vibration hits, you see it) you will have a better appreciation of the event. It is unfortunate that the combination of gearing/rpm/torque make it particularly acute in 6th gear right at cruising speed. Triumph had the same thing going on in 1998-2004 on the Thunderbirds, Legends and Adventurer models. It is what it is, and a belt tensioner, in my opinion, would minimize/fix it. I make no excuses for BRP or the engineers who designed it and maybe underestimated the irritation this is creating.
    That said, remember this..... these are not cars, with thousands of pounds of vehicle to absorb the vibrations. They are bikes. Ride an older Harley V-Twin, and you'll visit vibration. Heck, ride our RS/GS/ST models and you'll feel it somewhere in the rpm range. The smoothest engine I have EVER experienced was a 5 cylinder in a Honda racebike. The six cylinder GoldWings are also very smooth, but not without some vibration. They've all got it...somewhere
    BTW, I believe the RT hides the frequency vibration better due to the shorter belt, combined with the heavier weight and different gearing.
    Tim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    You can take these comments for what they are worth. I am a dealer, and I've put over 1,400 miles on my F3. I'll start off by saying all motorcycles, all engines, have a frequency vibration somewhere in their operating range. Triumph motorcycles, which share the same 3 cylinder (120 degree rotating/firing) configuration on many models, tend to have it between 3,000 and 3,400 rpm. It is always there, somewhere. This vibration can and sometimes is amplified thru the drive drain. In the case of a Triumph, it is via the chain or driveshaft. In the case of the F3, it is thru the belt. What makes it especially noticeable on the F3 is the long belt which is required to cover the massive rear sprocket. If you ever get a chance to "see" it occur (there are video's out there of the belt in action, and when the frequency vibration hits, you see it) you will have a better appreciation of the event. It is unfortunate that the combination of gearing/rpm/torque make it particularly acute in 6th gear right at cruising speed. Triumph had the same thing going on in 1998-2004 on the Thunderbirds, Legends and Adventurer models. It is what it is, and a belt tensioner, in my opinion, would minimize/fix it. I make no excuses for BRP or the engineers who designed it and maybe underestimated the irritation this is creating.
    That said, remember this..... these are not cars, with thousands of pounds of vehicle to absorb the vibrations. They are bikes. Ride an older Harley V-Twin, and you'll visit vibration. Heck, ride our RS/GS/ST models and you'll feel it somewhere in the rpm range. The smoothest engine I have EVER experienced was a 5 cylinder in a Honda racebike. The six cylinder GoldWings are also very smooth, but not without some vibration. They've all got it...somewhere
    BTW, I believe the RT hides the frequency vibration better due to the shorter belt, combined with the heavier weight and different gearing.
    Tim

Sorry but justifying the horrid vibration AT CRUISE SPEEDS by comparing the F3 to old Harley's etc is BS. Compared to the model T its not to bad either... This is a modern new design that BRP has spent a fortune promoting.... I have owned two dozen bikes over the last 40 years and NONE of them compared to the F3 when it comes to vibration ESPECIALLY at cruise speed.

Again, BRP either knew about this design flaw or their engineering team is incompetent

Mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post
    Sorry but justifying the horrid vibration AT CRUISE SPEEDS by comparing the F3 to old Harley's etc is BS. Compared to the model T its not to bad either... This is a modern new design that BRP has spent a fortune promoting.... I have owned two dozen bikes over the last 40 years and NONE of them compared to the F3 when it comes to vibration ESPECIALLY at cruise speed.

Again, BRP either knew about this design flaw or their engineering team is incompetent

Mark
    I agree, in this modern age and technology being what is, we should not have to drive around or shift around an irritating vibration. Perhaps BRP was so deep and needed to bring it to market to start recouping the cost of R&D. Any comments that state we should live with it, or drive it differently is not a solution. There is obviously a problem that many here are tired of, and all the excuses, and other bull**** comments on how to ride it.

Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post

Mark
    THOUGHT I made it clear that I was making no excuses for BRP (READ IT) but I guess, like with everything else in this country, if it doesn't agree with your assessment it is wrong.... Geesh... Come on Mark, I'm not saying you are wrong, so have the decency to respect someones else's opinion, rather than write it off as BS.

Spyder Garage

THOUGHT I made it clear that I was making no excuses for BRP (READ IT) but I guess, like with everything else in this country, if it doesn't agree with your assessment it is wrong.... Geesh... Come on Mark, I'm not saying you are wrong, so have the decency to respect someones else's opinion, rather than write it off as BS.

Spyder Garage

If you have an F3 with what you believe is excessive belt vibrations, take it to a BRP dealer for inspection so they can document it and provide that data to BRP tech. They need the data to provide a resolution, you need to get it documented. BRP has provided much detailed information to their dealers on this exact subject, much of it is shared above with the video of the belt vibration. Dealers have been instructed on steps to take and how to proceed, but there is no conclusive resolution for ALL units right now.

If you have not done this, then quit complaining. SOME F3s have more belt vibration than others. ALL Spyders have belt vibration to a degree, the F3s seem to be worse with the longer belt, and SOME F3s are doing it worse than others. BRP has provided their dealers with information on checking the belt tension at several locations of rear wheel rotation, as SOME units have an out-of-round sprocket or wheel or tire that is causing the (tension variation) vibrations to be worse. In these cases BRP has authorized dealers to make the required repairs.

If your rear wheel/sprocket/tire AND belt tension all check out to be within specification, and you STILL experience excessive vibrations, the belt tension can be changed to MOVE the speed at which the vibrations occur, otherwise we are going to wait until a resolution is determined and implemented. OR, try one of the aftermarket solutions, buyer's risk.

It is an annoyance, not the end of the world, but until you go through the BRP suggested steps quit your whining and complaining! First-year models often have issues that require additional engineering. Variances in supplier components, assembly, operating conditions, there are many factors that turn up with issues like this that were not a big deal during development with say 100 prototype units, but build several thousand and new issues always turn up. When they do, facts are gathered, root cause is established, possible solutions investigated.

Just trying to help you understand the process. We deal with it on snowmobiles all of the time, as we are much more limited in testing opportunities so things turn up on production units that we were not aware of in prototype testing. It happens.

2015 F3-S SM-6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    Oh I will be buying it, but I am going to play the waiting game. I suppose when a brand new product is released theres sometimes problems with the first batch, so my brain is saying to wait. In the meantime like others I will keep an eye on this post and watch this space
    Hi Sledmaster,

Liked your post, as I was reading you mentioned something similar to what I mentioned about brand new products released (see my quote above) there is sometimes problems with the first batch. After talking to Spyder owners I will be going ahead with purchase of F3 at some point, however vibration isn't a issue for me anymore because it sounds like all Spyders vibrate and by the sounds of things there were worst issues before such as heating and bad tyres.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

You figure BRP is between a rock-and-a-hard-place as they say. If there was a tensioner added (nature of the beast), that
    would imply a defect, and, costly to retro all the units. It's too bad when they developed this generation (F3) unit, that they
    did not go with some tensioner similar to what Buell did. (Just look up Buell Belt Tensioner and you will see their nice
    solution). Because the F3 literally is a new generation and very different than the other units before, they could have added
    this on without the liability. Basically an enhancement with this new gen of machine. Sadly they did not.

Its a belt, it is long... somewhere along the line it will vibrate based on the setting you have.

For what it is now, I do not often ride at that magic speed/rpm so while it is clearly bad, it is just a few seconds
    for me when I'm out riding. Plus it changes dynamics when my wife is on. As for the alternatives, sure you could
    run the rpm's higher into the next gear... not sure I see a need for that. (And at 3K that engine has more than
    enough torque to move...) The 1330 is a sweet engine.
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

Default F3 vibration

Just purchased my F3 last Friday, upon maiden trip home, I felt serious vibration right around 71 mph. Dealer is supposed to look at it tomorrow, but with the information I found here, I may not waste my time?
    2015 F3 , OEM None Black

Spyder Garage

I have reported this to my stealership, and I got charged $50 for them to check and adjust the belt! There are more excuses on this forum about how this isn't a big deal! Drive around it! Get used to it? Report it to BRP! One excuse after another! No whining here! Just stating the facts to my first can-am product, and less than impressed. If you consider that whining then F.O! I'm only looking to get my p.o.s. tolerable to ride. If it weren't for this issue I wouldn't here looking for answers. I done here!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have reported this to my stealership, and I got charged $50 for them to check and adjust the belt! There are more excuses on this forum about how this isn't a big deal! Drive around it! Get used to it? Report it to BRP! One excuse after another! No whining here! Just stating the facts to my first can-am product, and less than impressed. If you consider that whining then F.O! I'm only looking to get my p.o.s. tolerable to ride. If it weren't for this issue I wouldn't here looking for answers. I done here!

you funny

Spyder Garage

Default Haven't seen anything constructive

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    So, I took my new F3 on it's first long ride yesterday which entailed some freeway driving. Turns out I have the belt harmonics between 67 mph and 72 mph. Has anyone found a solution to this issue, or has anyone had any success with a resolution through Can Am.
    Been around since 2012 and haven't witnessed any factory information with remedy. Maybe an anomaly that can't be stopped by BPR. After market devices must not be the answer because BPR hasn't incorporated their accomplishments on the sales floor, you would think BPR quietly needs this deal breaker issue to go away.

Spyder Garage

Default Like others we await information from BPR

Tim
    like others I've waited since 2012 for BPR'S resolution to the belt shuttering. Both my RT/S and F3 shake at speeds between 61 and 72. I had the RT in the shop several times without resolution. The dealers techs say it's normal, my issue is the shutter can't be good for the drive train and my confidence. The dealers need to upload all their observations to BPR and stand behind their customers complaints.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 vibration

I fixed my vibration problem with a belt tensioner and my buffeting with a Madstad. No complaining here - just riding and smiling.

Spyder Garage

No way should you have been charged for this, it is a warranty issue, well known and documented, they were wrong to do so. You are VERY justified in complaining. A key question is if they checked the belt tension at several points of rear wheel rotation? If not then they did NOT follow the service information being provided to them by BRP, thus they are idiots and do not deserve your business. Go back and complain some more that this is a warranty issue and you demand a refund of your money. Oh, no need to get nasty with us here on the forum that are trying to help you. We are fellow owners, not the ones who took advantage of you. My F3 does the same thing, you are not alone.

2015 F3-S SM-6

Registered Users mikedoucette66's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You shouldn't have to do any special tricks whether its shifting or not shifting techniques .... With the amount of money that was spent to buy this bloody thing this is unacceptable for BRP to not do anything about it just saying!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikedoucette66 View Post
    You shouldn't have to do any special tricks whether its shifting or not shifting techniques .... With the amount of money that was spent to buy this bloody thing this is unacceptable for BRP to not do anything about it just saying!!

If that were true then there would be no cars or motorcycles ever purchase because I have not own or rode one yet that did not have some kind of issue

Spyder Garage

You guys don't know vibration, go test ride a M109r, they vibrate In a certain range as well.

shaft drive. Mind you they have some pretty big Pistons bouncing around In there

Registered Users mikedoucette66's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    If that were true then there would be no cars or motorcycles ever purchase because I have not own or rode one yet that did not have some kind of issue
    Tazzel..... You can't tell me BRP didn't know about this issue before they launched the F3!!!! They should do the right thing and FIX IT