Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: F3 Vibration

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Bogging the engine is in the equation. Learn to shift the beast correctly and vibration is gone.

You are wrong,most of us are experienced riders that knôw how to shift. Wrong IMO

Spyder Garage

Default SMOOTH SPYDER ,says it all

Look on vendor list, fyi great guy
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tensioner

Yes, I do have to agree, you should not have to drive around the vibration. I don't think a belt tensioner is going to solve the vibration issue but I hope I am wrong.
    Has solved the issue in two or three cases so farm, more in 30 days

Spyder Garage

Default The dealer talking points are:

Quote Originally Posted by Genet View Post
    I sent an email to Steve M at BRP care asking if BRP has a plan to mitigate the vibration on our F3s,it will be interesting to see what, if anything, can or will be done to make this annoying vibration go away.
    dealer said it "was normal " that's the same answer I got when I complained about the heat issue I had on my 2013 STS,and we all know how that worked out.

we shal see
    What vibration?, there's no vibration. You must not know how to shift, you are bogging the engine, have you ever ridden a motorcycle before? Just run her up to about 75 in 5th, rack it into 6th gear (in that special overdrive) and motor through it!, you'll get used to it! Bullbutter!

Ron

Spyder Garage

I may wait till BRP sort out vibration issue before purchasing F3. I plan to buy at xmas and just hope BRP sort vibration issue out by then. My heart goes out to those owners who are experiencing the vibration problems and I will be keeping an eye on this post in the hope that BRP sort issue out and then I will buy F3.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Let me weigh in with some additional info. Maybe that helps figure out the problem :
    I have the European set up (larger rear sprocket!)
    I experience zero vibration between 60-70 mph. (doesn't matter which gear: 4.,5. or 6.)
    But: Vibration starts at 85 mph!(6.gear)
    I would suggest that the different belt dynamics (due to the larger sprocket) are responsible for that result.
    That means the problem is the belt, not the engine.

And as I practically never drive that fast on the F3... I'm not really worried 😓

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    I may wait till BRP sort out vibration issue before purchasing F3. I plan to buy at xmas and just hope BRP sort vibration issue out by then. My heart goes out to those owners who are experiencing the vibration problems and I will be keeping an eye on this post in the hope that BRP sort issue out and then I will buy F3.
    I don't think I would not buy because of it. It's not that bad. You are going to find issues with about anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcasey View Post
    I don't think I would not buy because of it. It's not that bad. You are going to find issues with about anything.
    Oh I will be buying it, but I am going to play the waiting game. I suppose when a brand new product is released theres sometimes problems with the first batch, so my brain is saying to wait. In the meantime like others I will keep an eye on this post and watch this space
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post
    We at Baker Built have a belt stabilizer that will not add any more tension on the belt but will take the vibration out. Please check us out on our web site where you may view pictures of the belt stabilizer.
    Thanks, Mike
    Hi Mike!!
    I tried clicking on the link but could not get the page to load ? Very interest in getting the vibration out ! ! !

Spyder Garage

The vibration is a non issue for me but then again I'm a motorcycle guy and I don't expect car like smoothness.

As far as a fix I can tell you that Baker has a belt tensioner that helps. I put over 4000 miles on with it and I would say it took out about 70% of what I was feeling before. Might want to contact Bruce at Baker.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    What vibration?, there's no vibration. You must not know how to shift, you are bogging the engine, have you ever ridden a motorcycle before? Just run her up to about 75 in 5th, rack it into 6th gear (in that special overdrive) and motor through it!, you'll get used to it! Bullbutter!

Ron

Each bike shifts differently, each car shifts differently. I never said those that had the problem had never ridden a motorcycle before. I offered a solution, that has work for me and others. I hope the belt tensioner solves the issue to not have to play with the gearing and shifting. If it does not then I guess your going to have to sell it but then what would you have to bi**ch about?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latinojj View Post
    Hi Mike!!
    I tried clicking on the link but could not get the page to load ? Very interest in getting the vibration out ! ! !
    Give me a call if you continue to have problems with our web page. 1-800-451-9464 If your signed in on Spyder Lovers you should to click on baker built air wings and it will take you to our web page. If you want to go directly our web page is www.bakerbuilt.com.
    Thanks, Mike
    p.s. You can call the 800 number and talk with Bruce if you have particular question on how it works.

Spyder Garage

Default Different machine same issue

just passed 600 mile on F3 in tandem with my wife on her RT/S. The F3 performs well when ordered to shove through the twists of Franklin NC mountain roads but when on the main highways where speeds reach 75 the F3 acts like it wants to come apart. Now on to BPR machines I knew what I was getting into as wife's bike has 17,000 miles shakes with the same vibration in addition to the stink of boiling fuel. Both were noted at the dealership in 2011. I had bought spyder Jim tensioner but found it didn't contain the belt issue and I could hear the bearing screaming so Jim took it back, just learned to fight through it. I'm awaiting like others to see what BPR plains to finally do with the company issues.

Spyder Garage

Give me a call if you continue to have problems with our web page. 1-800-451-9464 If your signed in on Spyder Lovers you should to click on baker built air wings and it will take you to our web page. If you want to go directly our web page is www.bakerbuilt.com.
    Thanks, Mike
    p.s. You can call the 800 number and talk with Bruce if you have particular question on how it works.
    How is the installation of the belt rollers done? Is there drilling into the frame? Does it place extra tension on the belt?

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration gone with shifting?

Bogging the engine is in the equation. Learn to shift the beast correctly and vibration is gone.
    Bullbutter. Not on my bike!

Spyder Garage

Default Wrong again

Each bike shifts differently, each car shifts differently. I never said those that had the problem had never ridden a motorcycle before. I offered a solution, that has work for me and others. I hope the belt tensioner solves the issue to not have to play with the gearing and shifting. If it does not then I guess your going to have to sell it but then what would you have to bi**ch about?
    That series of talking points was directed at the various vibration "deniers ". Nothing to do with you. I've got 4300 miles on my bike, and I'm tweaking it to MY liking! Madstad windshield has airflow smooth as silk, and I'm working on the annoying vibration. Stating facts is not bii..Ching and I don't need or value your opinion. Take a hike. I had 2013 art limited, 2014 RT LTD AND NOW F3. I resolved vibration issues on 2013 and 2014, and will get it done on F3. Evidently anyone that disagrees with your opinion is b##chin?. You don't know anything about me. I am a dyed in the wool can am fan. Take a hike

Ron

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike
    Your very kind!!!! Ill give you a call!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I find it hard to believe that if you are over 3000 RPM you are bogging the engine.

Spyder Garage

Default wippieing the belt...

Quote Originally Posted by Wippi01 View Post
    Let me weigh in with some additional info. Maybe that helps figure out the problem :
    I have the European set up (larger rear sprocket!)
    I experience zero vibration between 60-70 mph. (doesn't matter which gear: 4.,5. or 6.)
    But: Vibration starts at 85 mph!(6.gear)
    I would suggest that the different belt dynamics (due to the larger sprocket) are responsible for that result.
    That means the problem is the belt, not the engine.

And as I practically never drive that fast on the F3... I'm not really worried 😓
    Since I am in Germany, just like Wippie, I can attest to the fact that my F#, now 2000 km, also has the vibrations, and exactly at the same speeds, 80/85 miled per hour, no matter what gear. so its the belt for sure. while cruising it does not bother me much, but I do go on the Autobahn quite a bit, and now have I two problems: just about when the vibration dissapears I am getting the rather bad airflow from BRP's windscreen! despite xscreen extension! Grrrr..
    Regards fromPeter in Bretzelcountry.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    That series of talking points was directed at the various vibration "deniers ". Nothing to do with you. I've got 4300 miles on my bike, and I'm tweaking it to MY liking! Madstad windshield has airflow smooth as silk, and I'm working on the annoying vibration. Stating facts is not bii..Ching and I don't need or value your opinion. Take a hike. I had 2013 art limited, 2014 RT LTD AND NOW F3. I resolved vibration issues on 2013 and 2014, and will get it done on F3. Evidently anyone that disagrees with your opinion is b##chin?. You don't know anything about me. I am a dyed in the wool can am fan. Take a hike

Ron
    Well said, and I'm not a dyed in the wool can am fan, in fact I been a bit pissed about my purchase. After reading your posts and others I'm hopeful and going to get it figured out from the information on this forum and learn to love it, like the rest of you guys. I've been involved in other forums in the past, and have really enjoyed the experience, and it seems like there is always an irritating knowitall, that shows their ignorance often.

Red

Spyder Garage

Default Drive Belt Harmonic Vibrations

The Spyder drive belt is a tensioned string system that transmits the drive pinion torque to the rear sprocket via the tension of the upper part of the belt. The natural response of a string system is to vibrate when stretched and released at different speeds and strengths. The accumulated energy of these movements in the belt will be dissipated throughout the entire vehicle through the drive pinion and the rear sprocket.

A momentary belt vibration may be felt when the vehicle is driven under increased load/torque conditions (acceleration and/or going uphill). When the belt tension is within specification, the phenomenon may occur between 3800rpm and 4300rpm in 6th gear on 1330 engines (or between 4700rpm and 5500rpm in 5th gear on 991 engines). This vibration is felt through the handle bars, the foot rests and the seat. The harmonic vibration described here is considered "normal behavior" for such a belt drive system. In no cases is there any damage produced to the unit's mechanical components by this harmonic vibration.

Although belt vibration cannot be entirely eliminated, changing the belt tension will change the RPM/Speed at which the vibration occurs and the amplitude of its occurrences. Adjusting the drive belt tension lower will reduce the vibration level. Under high load/torque conditions, the vibration levels are diminished in amplitude and the RPM which the vibration occurs is lowered by roughly 400rpm.

For someone driving regularly between 68 and 75mph having a lower belt tension means they will feel a belt vibration when going through speeds of 62 to 65mph but at a lower amplitude, and feel less vibrations under acceleration and cruising speed. For someone driving regularly between 62 to 65mph having a belt tension set at specification means they will not feel as much the belt vibration since it occurs at higher RPM/Speed 68 and 75mph.

Statically, the belt tension is based on the distance between the drive pinion and the rear sprocket. The belt can be preset to a specific value using the tension adjustment procedure. While standing on its wheels, the belt tension of the Spyder increases due to the rotation motion of the swing arm. Further additional weight on the vehicle (driver, passenger and luggage) further increases the static tension of the belt.

Dynamically, the big picture is that the belt tension continuously varies with the road surface irregularities. Furthermore, to transmit torque from the drive pinion to the rear sprocket, the given amount of tension is decreased from the lower portion of the belt and transmitted to the upper portion of the belt. The inverse is also true when the vehicle is under deceleration. The amount of tension transferred depends on the acceleration or deceleration of the vehicle and slope of the road.

The belt tension is the factor which determines the belt vibration. The engine speed at which vibration would occur depends solely on the tension of the belt since the length and mass of the belt remains relatively constant. More vibration is transmitted to the vehicle when the tension is high. This effect can be explained by the fact that higher tension implies higher stiffness and higher stiffness implies higher transmissibility. This also explains why even though more vibrations are observed on the lower portion of the belt, only the vibration of the upper portion of the belt is strongly felt on the vehicle due to its higher transmissibility (because it has a higher tension in the majority of driving conditions).

At constant speed and zero road slope, the upper part of the belt has a higher tension than the lower part of the belt due to aerodynamic resistance. Under acceleration and/or hill climb conditions, the upper part of the belt further increases in tension. The degree of acceleration or hill climb proportionally dictates the engine speed at which occurs the belt vibration and the amplitudes of vibration transmitted to the vehicle.

By reducing the tension of the belt, the transmitted vibration at very low torque conditions can be completely removed. The transmitted vibration at higher torque is similar to that of the specification belt tension but occurs at slightly lower RPM/speed.

So basically, if you experience unpleasant vibrations have your drive belt tension checked at three different points of rotation of the rear wheel/sprocket and see how it varies, and compares to the vehicle's specification. If the belt tension changes more than 250N between 2 readings this would indicate an out of round rear sprocket which should be replaced. Otherwise, you can adjust the tension to change the speed and amplitude at which it occurs.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Well said, and I'm not a dyed in the wool can am fan, in fact I been a bit pissed about my purchase. After reading your posts and others I'm hopeful and going to get it figured out from the information on this forum and learn to love it, like the rest of you guys. I've been involved in other forums in the past, and have really enjoyed the experience, and it seems like there is always an irritating knowitall, that shows their ignorance often.

Red
    God, what meatheads!!! now I am a knowitall, LOL how sad that some can state opinions and others cant.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This reminds me of something I was thinking the other day. I was behind a Harley at a traffic light and the bike and the poor bast**rd was shaking so hard, I thought the fillings in his teeth were going to drop right on the ground any minute. I was thinking that if he had been a Spyder rider he would have just shot himself on the spot. The 1330 vibration last for a few annoying seconds and we are moaning and groaning. I am hoping that BRP can come up with a fix or other fix from a vendor is proven to work. If not, well we still have an almost perfect machine!!!

Spyder Garage

God, what meatheads!!! now I am a knowitall, LOL how sad that some can state opinions and others cant.

So I guess the meatheads are Redstar and Ronbo.
    So why don't you guys figure it out and leave the rest of us out of it? just sayin

I come on to here to learn and share ideas !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hsteil View Post
    Since I am in Germany, just like Wippie, I can attest to the fact that my F#, now 2000 km, also has the vibrations, and exactly at the same speeds, 80/85 miled per hour, no matter what gear. so its the belt for sure. while cruising it does not bother me much, but I do go on the Autobahn quite a bit, and now have I two problems: just about when the vibration dissapears I am getting the rather bad airflow from BRP's windscreen! despite xscreen extension! Grrrr..
    Regards fromPeter in Bretzelcountry.
    I have to agree with Peter here. The F3 is a near-perfect machine, with the two issues being the belt vibes and the turbulence with the windshield installed. Other than that, it is a freakin' phenomenal piece of work.

Considering how bad so many other machines vibrate, we are getting fussy, but regardless of how well a new machine performs we will always strive to make it even better.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD