Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F3 Vibration

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Vibration

So, I took my new F3 on it's first long ride yesterday which entailed some freeway driving. Turns out I have the belt harmonics between 67 mph and 72 mph. Has anyone found a solution to this issue, or has anyone had any success with a resolution through Can Am.

Spyder Garage

Default Harmonics

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    So, I took my new F3 on it's first long ride yesterday which entailed some freeway driving. Turns out I have the belt harmonics between 67 mph and 72 mph. Has anyone found a solution to this issue, or has anyone had any success with a resolution through Can Am.
    Having baker belt tensioner installed next week.. Will post results.

Ron

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Any luck w tensioner?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Having baker belt tensioner installed next week.. Will post results.

Ron
    Any luck with the belt tensioner? Brought my F3 home today and I noticed it on my inaugural ride home.

thanks!
    B

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had my dealer adjust the belt so the harmonic now occurs between 105 and 110mph and since I limit my ryding at those speeds I don't notice it much. Incidentally for anyone who has not tested it, the F3 will go much faster than that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yup notice the vibration bigtime... it starts at about 105km/h and goes till 115km/h then disappears. I feel it in my handlebars, seat even through the seat. It's hard to believe that BRP never felt this when they were test driving the prototype F3's!! I'm really curious if a belt tensioner will fix this issue and how long will it take BRP to do something about it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 vibration

I sent an email to Steve M at BRP care asking if BRP has a plan to mitigate the vibration on our F3s,it will be interesting to see what, if anything, can or will be done to make this annoying vibration go away.
    dealer said it "was normal " that's the same answer I got when I complained about the heat issue I had on my 2013 STS,and we all know how that worked out.

we shal see

Spyder Garage

Default World's most expensive vibrator!

Quote Originally Posted by mikedoucette66 View Post
    Yup notice the vibration bigtime... it starts at about 105km/h and goes till 115km/h then disappears. I feel it in my handlebars, seat even through the seat. It's hard to believe that BRP never felt this when they were test driving the prototype F3's!! I'm really curious if a belt tensioner will fix this issue and how long will it take BRP to do something about it
    I too, got the same run around at the dealer today! I was told that it is normal for the F3's to do this. The salesman that sold me the bike said he couldn't feel it much at all. I spent a lot of money on a vibrator, not happy with the dealer that had the gall to charge me a 1/2 hour labor to look at the belt, and tell me everything is fine!!

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built Belt Stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    We at Baker Built have a belt stabilizer that will not add any more tension on the belt but will take the vibration out. Please check us out on our web site where you may view pictures of the belt stabilizer.
    Thanks, Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

some have said to not use 6th till your past 70mph and you wont feel any vibs.6th gear unde 72 mph is bogging the engine. try it and see for yourself.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's belt vibration not engine vibration!!!! That i'M POSITIVE Horrible from 105km/h to 115km/h then goes away.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Belt Vibration

Had my new F3 to 2 local dealers and they both advised belt was in normal spec and tension. Both said vibration was normal with spyders. Hopefully smooth spyder will have a new product for the F3's shortly.

Spyder Garage

Default SMOOTH SPYDER ,says it all

Look on vendor list, fyi great guy
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Engine vibration.

It's belt vibration not engine vibration!!!! That i'M POSITIVE Horrible from 105km/h to 115km/h then goes away.
    If it's the belt causing the vibration, why can I feel it parked in Neutral & reving the engine to 3200--3800 rpm??? I personally believe the belt tensioner reduces some of engine vibration that's transfered via the belt---on my F3's--the belt tensioner reduces the vibration at approx 50%, it's still there--just less noticeable....

By the way--most sport bike engines also have an engine vibration at certain rpm's & the sport bikes use a chain drive.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    If it's the belt causing the vibration, why can I feel it parked in Neutral & reving the engine to 3200--3800 rpm??? I personally believe the belt tensioner reduces some of engine vibration that's transfered via the belt---on my F3's--the belt tensioner reduces the vibration at approx 50%, it's still there--just less noticeable....

By the way--most sport bike engines also have an engine vibration at certain rpm's & the sport bikes use a chain drive.
    Darrell

Before I even read this, I started it up and in neutral slowly increased RPM's to the 3600 to 4000 rpm level and I had the exact same vibrations I did when riding. So my issue is not the belt.

Spyder Garage

The belt is transferring the engine vibration to the Spyder body--the vibration will be felt in any gear at the RPM vibration--usually 3K to 4 K rpm.

Spyder Garage

Default some have said to not use 6th till your past 70mph and you wont feel any vibs.6th gea

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    some have said to not use 6th till your past 70mph and you wont feel any vibs.6th gear unde 72 mph is bogging the engine. try it and see for yourself.
    WHAT---the Spyder needs to be above 5-6K rpm to prevent bogging the engine ??? Time to fix the engine---my 1298 cc Suzuki--I can start off from a dead stop with RPM at 1500 rpm in 6th gear--throttle wide open, & it will lug up to 180 mph without any vibration or engine misfire-backfire--just a steady pull. The Spyder mfg group has lots of experience with Polaris--etc. This 1330 Rotax needs it's engine balanced.... Not saying the belt isn't any issue but the bult of the problem is in the 1330 engine...

Spyder Garage

Default engine RPM vibration

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    WHAT---the Spyder needs to be above 5-6K rpm to prevent bogging the engine ??? Time to fix the engine---my 1298 cc Suzuki--I can start off from a dead stop with RPM at 1500 rpm in 6th gear--throttle wide open, & it will lug up to 180 mph without any vibration or engine misfire-backfire--just a steady pull. The Spyder mfg group has lots of experience with Polaris--etc. This 1330 Rotax needs it's engine balanced.... Not saying the belt isn't any issue but the bult of the problem is in the 1330 engine...
    BakerBuiltAirW.
    email to Bakerbuilt

Bruce it the F3 for ride up to 95 mph & back down various speeds/rpms. Seems to run fine without vibration except for centain RPM area's. The belt going to the rear needs to spin at MPH speed thus I believe the major problems is with engine balance---I know I go back & forth on this but that's what I did for a living--diagnosing & solving problems. I'll keep you posted should I want to return the F3 harmonic pulleys. Looks like its a combination of problems mainly caused by engine balance.Have a good weekend,
    Darrell Feit

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Someone correct me if i am wrong. If balance is the issue and it started at a certain rpm wouldn't it remain in higher rpms until you got back down below the rpm where it started? I'm thinking that if it started at say 4000 rpm it would not stop at 4300 but would continue no matter how much higher you went until you got back below 4000rpm. Also speed would not be a factor. It would do it when going thru the gears when at 4000.
    Last edited by jcasey; 07-24-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post
    We at Baker Built have a belt stabilizer that will not add any more tension on the belt but will take the vibration out. Please check us out on our web site where you may view pictures of the belt stabilizer.
    Thanks, Mike
    Hi Mike!!
    I tried clicking on the link but could not get the page to load ? Very interest in getting the vibration out ! ! !

Spyder Garage

The vibration is a non issue for me but then again I'm a motorcycle guy and I don't expect car like smoothness.

As far as a fix I can tell you that Baker has a belt tensioner that helps. I put over 4000 miles on with it and I would say it took out about 70% of what I was feeling before. Might want to contact Bruce at Baker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latinojj View Post
    Hi Mike!!
    I tried clicking on the link but could not get the page to load ? Very interest in getting the vibration out ! ! !
    Give me a call if you continue to have problems with our web page. 1-800-451-9464 If your signed in on Spyder Lovers you should to click on baker built air wings and it will take you to our web page. If you want to go directly our web page is www.bakerbuilt.com.
    Thanks, Mike
    p.s. You can call the 800 number and talk with Bruce if you have particular question on how it works.

Spyder Garage

Give me a call if you continue to have problems with our web page. 1-800-451-9464 If your signed in on Spyder Lovers you should to click on baker built air wings and it will take you to our web page. If you want to go directly our web page is www.bakerbuilt.com.
    Thanks, Mike
    p.s. You can call the 800 number and talk with Bruce if you have particular question on how it works.
    How is the installation of the belt rollers done? Is there drilling into the frame? Does it place extra tension on the belt?

mark

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike
    Your very kind!!!! Ill give you a call!!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I find it hard to believe that if you are over 3000 RPM you are bogging the engine.

Spyder Garage

Default F3's belt vibration stabilizer

Thanks, Mike
    I purchased the Baker belt stabilzer---as per shipped the upper stabilizer mounting bolt had approx 3/8" thread turns--which I felt somewhat less than safe. After mounting the chain guard I found that the mounting bolt would not grasp the securing clip. Distance of belt guard & recessed portion of mounting bolt & 1st thread catch was inadequate. I spoke to Bruce Baker & he advise to ream the belt guard hole out ot 3/4". That would allow the mounting bolt another 1/8" to grasp the inital turns but still lacked safety concerns for me. I purchase a 3/8" grade 8 2.5" bolt & securing hardware which appears to secure the mounting bolt safely. On my bike the Catalytic converter prevent the upper roller assembly to track the center of the belt---I am out of adjustment room to correct the adjustment.
    At this time I do not have comprehensive info as to whether this modification solved the vibration problem. At low speed 3rd-4th gear at 4K rpm I still have a strong vibration on my footboards. More testing to follow. Attached is the upper roller assy with stock mounting bolt & 3/8" aftermarket longer bolt.
    Darrell

Attached Images Attached Images