Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: F3 Vibration

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikedoucette66 View Post
    It's belt vibration not engine vibration!!!! That i'M POSITIVE Horrible from 105km/h to 115km/h then goes away.
    The belt is transferring the engine vibration to the Spyder body--the vibration will be felt in any gear at the RPM vibration--usually 3K to 4 K rpm.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Ugh....
    Yes.. the ENGINE does cause SOME of the vibration that you feel.
    NO.... it is NOT the main vibration people are complaining about... the main complaint is from BELT vibration. This has been well established long ago and is so obvious I can't believe anyone is arguing this is from the engine. I ran a belt tensioner on my 2008 GS for 40,000 miles. It made all the difference in the world.

Everyone who has installed the BRP belt tensioner on their F3 has noticed a MAJOR reduction in vibrations. If it was due to the engine the belt tensioner wouldn't work..

This comparing engine vibration to belt vibration stuff is nonsense. If you want to reduce the vibrations on your F3, install the BRP belt tensioner. Hundreds have done it now and are posting fantastic results. I'l be installing mine this weekend.
    If you want to reduce the other minor vibration from the engine... I suggest removing the engine and going with Flintstone power.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I ordered and received the idler. Because it was back-ordered, it took about 6 weeks to get it.

During that time the belt vibes on my F3 have decreased by about 2/3. It happened as it crossed around 2k on the odometer. Hmmmm..... Still going to be putting it on tho.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Ugh....
    Yes.. the ENGINE does cause SOME of the vibration that you feel.
    NO.... it is NOT the main vibration people are complaining about... the main complaint is from BELT vibration. This has been well established long ago and is so obvious I can't believe anyone is arguing this is from the engine. I ran a belt tensioner on my 2008 GS for 40,000 miles. It made all the difference in the world.

Everyone who has installed the BRP belt tensioner on their F3 has noticed a MAJOR reduction in vibrations. If it was due to the engine the belt tensioner wouldn't work..

This comparing engine vibration to belt vibration stuff is nonsense. If you want to reduce the vibrations on your F3, install the BRP belt tensioner. Hundreds have done it now and are posting fantastic results. I'l be installing mine this weekend.
    If you want to reduce the other minor vibration from the engine... I suggest removing the engine and going with Flintstone power.
    OK,Park your Spyder in Neutral--rev the engine in the 3Kto4K,you will feel the vibration---the belt amplify's the engine vibration,if the belt is the source of the vibration,why is the vibration only felt between 3-4K rpm?. Ride your Spyder in the 3-4K engine RPM range in 4th, 5th & 6 th gear.The belt will be spinning at different speeds,yet you will only feel the vibration in the 3-4K engine rpm range.Try it & let me know your discoveryThe belt tension-er remove part of the vibration--rarely all of it.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-04-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    OK,Park your Spyder in Neutral--rev the engine in the 3Kto4K,you will feel the vibration---the belt amplify's the engine vibration,if the belt is the source of the vibration,why is the vibration only felt between 3-4K rpm?. Ride your Spyder in the 3-4K engine RPM range in 4th, 5th & 6 th gear.The belt will be spinning at different speeds,yet you will only feel the vibration in the 3-4K engine rpm range.Try it & let me know your discoveryThe belt tension-er remove part of the vibration--rarely all of it.
    Of course if you sit there and rev the engine you'll feel vibrations. They'll be greater due to no load. That is NOT the vibrations we are talking about here. How you don't get that is beyond comprehension. The belt is just like a guitar string.. .. they use a sonic meter to adjust the tension just like you'd tune a guitar. You could run an electric motor in place of the engine and you would still have belt vibrations. It's not from the engine!

If you tighten or loosen the belt the RPM range of the vibration will change. On my 2012 RT it was bad in 5th gear from around 72-75 mph.. felt much better at 80-83. It changes depending on belt tension. More solid evidence that what we are talking about is a BELT issue.

Have you tried a belt tensioner before??? My guess is you have not,

This 1330 engine is far smoother than the 998 V-twin. The engine vibrations from the 998 many of us used various remedies to dampen them... bar weights, grip cushions, etc. BRP even had some engine mount issues that some had to have taken care of. It's an engine.. it's going to have vibrations.

It's the nature of using a long belt. This has been a well established problem with belt driven machines forever. I have various industrial equipment that runs on belts and the longer the belt the more vibration issues you have. Tensioners have been used for decades to reduce vibration.

Spyder Garage

Of course if you sit there and rev the engine you'll feel vibrations. They'll be greater due to no load. That is NOT the vibrations we are talking about here. How you don't get that is beyond comprehension. The belt is just like a guitar string.. .. they use a sonic meter to adjust the tension just like you'd tune a guitar. You could run an electric motor in place of the engine and you would still have belt vibrations. It's not from the engine!

If you tighten or loosen the belt the RPM range of the vibration will change. On my 2012 RT it was bad in 5th gear from around 72-75 mph.. felt much better at 80-83. It changes depending on belt tension. More solid evidence that what we are talking about is a BELT issue.

Have you tried a belt tensioner before??? My guess is you have not,

This 1330 engine is far smoother than the 998 V-twin. The engine vibrations from the 998 many of us used various remedies to dampen them... bar weights, grip cushions, etc. BRP even had some engine mount issues that some had to have taken care of. It's an engine.. it's going to have vibrations.

It's the nature of using a long belt. This has been a well established problem with belt driven machines forever. I have various industrial equipment that runs on belts and the longer the belt the more vibration issues you have. Tensioners have been used for decades to reduce vibration.
    I have installed both of the Baker tensioner's, the original upper & lower & then the updated single roller upper version. I have installed foam pads on the foot rest to eliminate the vibration. I have lowered the on the ground belt tension to 160# as per 2 different Krikit gauges. I have owned a franchise auto repair business for 7 yrs, I have an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Automotive Technology from the Milwaukee Institute of Technology--current name is Milwaukee Technical College, I land speed race motorcycles on abandoned airstrips up to 200 mph in one mile. My turbo Haybusa has 343 rwhp with 212# torgue on a 530# bike. I know a few things about motor vehicles. You ???? I've also owned 2 other Hayabusa's , 1 using Nitrous, 2 Harley's, a 2003 Deuce & a 2014 Street Glide Special, plus a Cruser Yamaha & a FZ1 Yamaha sport bike. This isn't my 1st rodeo.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-04-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Vibration

Spyder Garage

Well good for you.. but you're still WRONG.

I hope everyone else bypasses your nonsense and will take the steps and get the belt tension device from BRP because it WORKS!
    Or maybe all those who have installed it and are praising it are suffering from some mass delusion. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    What vibration?, there's no vibration. You must not know how to shift, you are bogging the engine, have you ever ridden a motorcycle before? Just run her up to about 75 in 5th, rack it into 6th gear (in that special overdrive) and motor through it!, you'll get used to it! Bullbutter!

Ron
    Hey bullbutter, it's gone at 67-72,now it's at about 107,dealer made an adjustment.

Spyder Garage

Well good for you.. but you're still WRONG.

I hope everyone else bypasses your nonsense and will take the steps and get the belt tension device from BRP because it WORKS!
    Or maybe all those who have installed it and are praising it are suffering from some mass delusion. Lol

Yes the belt tension device does help considerably, but not completely--varies with each engine vibration. Like I said I've installed 2 versions from Baker. Quality motor mounts installed by the mfg--possibly liquid filled would have avoided all this after market needs--which was my goal. But why would you accuse me of not installing the belt tension device if after almost 8000 post--you haven't installed one yourself as of this post?????
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-04-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Yes the belt tension device does help considerably, but not completely--varies with each engine vibration. Like I said I've installed 2 versions from Baker. Quality motor mounts installed by the mfg--possibly liquid filled would have avoided all this after market needs--which was my goal. But why would you accuse me of not installing the belt tension device if after almost 8000 post--you haven't installed one yourself as of this post?????
    I guess you can't read as I clearly stated I HAVE installed a tensioner and ran for over 40,000 miles with one.

Nice backtrack BTW.....

The belt tensioners work at witnessed by hundreds of us end users out here. Or maybe we're all just part of some mass BRP conspiracy so they can sell their $35 tensioners and become rich.....

Anyhow... for the sane people out here... please get the BRP tensioner for your F3.... despite what some say... they do work quite well.

Spyder Garage

Anyhow... for the sane people out here... please get the BRP tensioner for your F3.... despite what some say... they do work quite well.
    Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. I'd LOVE to, Firefly, but you bloody Americans keep hogging them.... pretty amazing for a piece of gear that doesn't work, eh?

.......maybe they'll arrive as Christmas presents
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have never said the belt tension devices doesn't work--I said it doesn't solve the entire problem on engines with significant vibration. Like I said, I have used both the original Baker upper & lower tension-er & currently have the Baker newer release upper belt tension unit.
    I think I'm doing a poor job at getting my point across how the belt amplify's the engine vibration.

1: Take your 3' ruler-leveler & stand it up straight vertically, now tilt the bottom 1/2" of that ruler-leveler 1/16 of an inch( a 1/32 of an inch might be harder to visualize. Now compare the original straight up vertical ruler with the bottom tilted 1/16" while the upper end of the ruler has moved over 1". The same principle applies to the belt which is approx 6" longer than the 3' ruler-leveler. A minor vibration at the drive pulley source gets amplified considerably during the approx 3'6" belt travel to the drive sprocket. That's all I'm saying--if the engine had improved motor mounts from the factory there would be no need for the belt tension er.

Also the best place to reduce that amplified vibration is to locate the tension-er to as close to the vibration source as possible--as in toward the front drive pulley.

PS: My BRP belt tension-er is scheduled for Dealer arrival on 11/6/2015 which is tomorrow--it's been on order since the announcement.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-05-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Or you could just trust all those who put it on and said how amazing the difference is.

I can now join that club. I had no doubt as many techs and serious riders have put them on and said how great they are. And I knew that previous tensioners worked.

I can attest to the huge difference it makes. Not that the F3 has the vibration issues the GS and RS had as the 1330 is so much smoother, but this tensioner ROCKS.

I highly recommend this for all F3 owners. Takes 30 min to install.