Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trike Training

Spyder Garage

Default Trike Training

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and I'm interested in Spyders. Does anyone know which states have trike training courses that will provide a certificate and waive the DMV test?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frmdusk2dawn View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and I'm interested in Spyders. Does anyone know which states have trike training courses that will provide a certificate and waive the DMV test?
    Which state are you wanting to take the test in? That could narrow it down a bit.

Here, the DMV test was drive around a painted area, do a right turn, do a left turn, and two quick stops. Not much to worry about to pass. A trike course will help you if you can find one in your area.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nevada just re-classified Spyders as Tri-Mobiles so you no longer need an endorsement or need to wear a helmet. Sad.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

OMG that is careless and sad!!! I am shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Nevada just re-classified Spyders as Tri-Mobiles so you no longer need an endorsement or need to wear a helmet. Sad.

Spyder Garage

Ohio trike test is kind of a joke. The two wheel is not much better.
    Trike courses by the state are few and far between. I have heard they have them, but never seen one.
    If you know any Gold wingers, ask them about the GWRRA course. It is great. Even if you have to join for a year, $55, it is well worth it. You might decide to stay with the club. I ride with a GWRRA club a lot. Nice bunch of people
    i would also suggest, where you really are. It might help some of your questions and maybe even personal interaction
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Arizona does, specifically Sierra Vista and Tucson. I'm sure there may be other cities that I don't know about. Cindy

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Hello Everyone,

Florida is one. While I have a regular motorcycle endorsement, my wife took the Florida three-wheel course (trikes, reverse trikes, side cars) and now has a three-wheel endorsement.

In Florida one can either use one's own vehicle or the school's.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

North Carolina has a trike course. You can use your Spyder if you want. They provide a card if you successfully complete the course. You only have to take the written part of the DMV test. You will get a trike endorsement.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I think here in West Virginia, there is no trike endorsement. You can take the motorcycle test on the Spyder though.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for your response. Is there a course I can take and have the test done there instead of the DMV? I am looking into RI, CT, SC, GA, and MS.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Which state are you wanting to take the test in? That could narrow it down a bit.

Here, the DMV test was drive around a painted area, do a right turn, do a left turn, and two quick stops. Not much to worry about to pass. A trike course will help you if you can find one in your area.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Does Arizona offer a motorcycle only license or is it an endorsement?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSpyder View Post
    Arizona does, specifically Sierra Vista and Tucson. I'm sure there may be other cities that I don't know about. Cindy

Spyder Garage

Default Training

Thanks for your response. Does NC offer a motorcycle only license or an endorsement?

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    North Carolina has a trike course. You can use your Spyder if you want. They provide a card if you successfully complete the course. You only have to take the written part of the DMV test. You will get a trike endorsement.

Spyder Garage

Default Training

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I am looking at SC, NC, RI, CT, and MS. I would prefer to take a couse and receive a certificate that would waive the test at a dmv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are just looking to take a motorcycle safety course on your Spyder check out Goldwing Riders of America, they often hold a safety class at their rallys.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What are the requirements for licensing a Tri-Mobile in NV? Do they issue a motorcycle only license?

Spyder Garage

Arizona has the endorsement. You do have a choice of taking the training course or going to the DMV and taking the written and road/skills test. If you take the training course you will receive a certificate at the end of the course. Then you take that to the DMV and get your license endorsement.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Default Trike Class

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Florida is one. While I have a regular motorcycle endorsement, my wife took the Florida three-wheel course (trikes, reverse trikes, side cars) and now has a three-wheel endorsement.

In Florida one can either use one's own vehicle or the school's.
    Does FL offer a motorcycle license only or an endorsement on a driver's license?

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Ohio trike test is kind of a joke. The two wheel is not much better.
    Trike courses by the state are few and far between. I have heard they have them, but never seen one.
    If you know any Gold wingers, ask them about the GWRRA course. It is great. Even if you have to join for a year, $55, it is well worth it. You might decide to stay with the club. I ride with a GWRRA club a lot. Nice bunch of people
    i would also suggest, where you really are. It might help some of your questions and maybe even personal interaction
    Oldmanzues
    I will look into that.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes , Virginia does have Trike Training

Virginia has an excellent trike course. You can use your own Can Am , a Honda with a side car on it , or one of their specially prepared Honda "trikes". After you have taken the course, they provide a waiver card that you can take to the DMV.
    I thought that a motorcycle safe driver course would help on my insurance. It did. I save $1.84 per six months.
    On a more positive note, the class and the instructors helped me ride much more safely and helped me to find, trust, and be thankful for the "Nannie".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did the MSF develop a course for Trikes yet?
    They could be a good source for information...

http://www.msf-usa.org/
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-12-2015 at 07:26 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Virginia has an excellent trike course. You can use your own Can Am , a Honda with a side car on it , or one of their specially prepared Honda "trikes". After you have taken the course, they provide a waiver card that you can take to the DMV.
    I thought that a motorcycle safe driver course would help on my insurance. It did. I save $1.84 per six months.
    On a more positive note, the class and the instructors helped me ride much more safely and helped me to find, trust, and be thankful for the "Nannie".
    I will look into that.

Spyder Garage

In VA, the MSF course I took provided me a Spyder to ride.. So it was a weekend course and a free test ride to determine if I really wanted a Spyder.

Once I passed the test and course exercises.. I receive a card to take to DMV to get my endorsement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This reminds me of a funny story her in Colorado. I was helping my friend shop for a used Spyder. I found one at Coyote motorsports in Denver, who is not a Spyder dealer. So we went to check it out. I pulled up on my Spyder and potential buyer met me in her car. Dude would not let us test drive it because he thought that in Colorado, you needed in addition to a class "M" endorsement you also had to have and additional class "3". I told him that if you had a class "M" which we both had, it allowed for any type of motor bike. He still refused.

The spyder was still there a year later
    Last edited by Tazzel; 06-12-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trike Training now Offered in Connecticut

Hello Everyone,

Connecticut now offers a trike class with a DMV Waiver. Courses will be offered at Gateway Community College in North Haven CT. They will be announced on their website very soon.

There will initially be 4 classes scheduled.
    July 22, 23, 24
    August 21, 22, 23
    September 4, 5, 6
    October 2, 3, 4

Tuition is $200

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your response. Does NC offer a motorcycle only license or an endorsement?
    What are the requirements for licensing a Tri-Mobile in NV? Do they issue a motorcycle only license?
    Does FL offer a motorcycle license only or an endorsement on a driver's license?

Are you asking if you can get a license to operate a motorcycle without being licensed to operate of car?

If you already have a driver's license (for a car) and want to be licensed for a motorcycle, it is usually referred to as an 'endorsement,' I believe. I don't know about getting a license for a motorcycle (2 or 3 wheels) without having a driver's license.

In general, I'd say your best bet would be to look into the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) in your locality. Most any bike shop can get the contact info for your. In some (but not all) states, you take the state written test as part of the course, right after an intensive study of all the stuff that is on the test. Then they go to the range and you practice riding. Having taken the MSF course will save you on insurance and, in my experience it's easier to pass than at the DMV.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)