Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trike Training

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frmdusk2dawn View Post
    Thanks for your response. Is there a course I can take and have the test done there instead of the DMV? I am looking into RI, CT, SC, GA, and MS.
    Well if you are throwing that wide of a net, PA has a 2 week, 4 night course that will get you the endorsement. You have to go to the DMV and take the test for the permit first though. Are you trying to avoid the written test or the riding test at the DMV? Once you get your permit in PA, you take both the written and riding test during the course. You have to supply your own Spyder if you want the three only endorsement. I took the two wheel course because they supply little 250cc bikes and the M endorsement lets you ride anything.

edit: Thing is, almost every state in the union requires you to get a license in your state of residence. If you move residence to a different state, you have a limited time to get one from that state. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Even if you own homes in all 50 states, you have to declare one as your primary residence and get a license from that state.
    Last edited by CanAmChris; 06-16-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Does FL offer a motorcycle license only or an endorsement on a driver's license?
    Endorsement on a driver's license. That being said, the course is only good for Florida residents. I believe that's the case in most states. If you live in one state you can' t take the training in another and have it count towards getting your endorsement in your state.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, either.
    Last edited by flaggerphil; 06-16-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Caution: in Texas they do have a trike course but if you take it, it's about twice the cost and you're only licensed to ride trikes. However, if you take the MSF course you are licensed to ride anything (2 or 3 wheels).
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    Caution: in Texas they do have a trike course but if you take it, it's about twice the cost and you're only licensed to ride trikes. However, if you take the MSF course you are licensed to ride anything (2 or 3 wheels).
    If all you are going to ryde is a Spyder, the MSF motorcycle course isn't all that good an idea, as it doesn't teach you the things that are different on a Spyder. I took a trike course in Virginia - already had my license, and years of experience, but I learned a LOT of good stuff, and took the course on my Spyder. Spyders were provided for the others taking the course.

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    I think here in West Virginia, there is no trike endorsement. You can take the motorcycle test on the Spyder though.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
    WV does have a trike endorsement. It is required if you don't have a motorcycle license. The riding test is modified for Spyders, however. Successful completion of an approved course will get a waiver for the riding test.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    If all you are going to ryde is a Spyder, the MSF motorcycle course isn't all that good an idea, as it doesn't teach you the things that are different on a Spyder. I took a trike course in Virginia - already had my license, and years of experience, but I learned a LOT of good stuff, and took the course on my Spyder. Spyders were provided for the others taking the course.

WV does have a trike endorsement. It is required if you don't have a motorcycle license. The riding test is modified for Spyders, however. Successful completion of an approved course will get a waiver for the riding test.

Thanks for the info, I was unaware. Good to know!
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Virginia has an excellent trike course. You can use your own Can Am , a Honda with a side car on it , or one of their specially prepared Honda "trikes". After you have taken the course, they provide a waiver card that you can take to the DMV.
    I thought that a motorcycle safe driver course would help on my insurance. It did. I save $1.84 per six months.
    On a more positive note, the class and the instructors helped me ride much more safely and helped me to find, trust, and be thankful for the "Nannie".
    I looked into VA and it appears they have a motorcycle license only. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    Well if you are throwing that wide of a net, PA has a 2 week, 4 night course that will get you the endorsement. You have to go to the DMV and take the test for the permit first though. Are you trying to avoid the written test or the riding test at the DMV? Once you get your permit in PA, you take both the written and riding test during the course. You have to supply your own Spyder if you want the three only endorsement. I took the two wheel course because they supply little 250cc bikes and the M endorsement lets you ride anything.

edit: Thing is, almost every state in the union requires you to get a license in your state of residence. If you move residence to a different state, you have a limited time to get one from that state. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Even if you own homes in all 50 states, you have to declare one as your primary residence and get a license from that state.
    I am going to be moving and want to be in a state where I can get a motorcycle license only. I know a few states don't require me to have a driver's license in order to get a motorcycle license. I'm compiling a list of and then choosing where to live.

Spyder Garage

I am going to be moving and want to be in a state where I can get a motorcycle license only. I know a few states don't require me to have a driver's license in order to get a motorcycle license. I'm compiling a list of and then choosing where to live.
    You can do that in PA. You just take the motorcycle test and skip the car test. If you are trying to get an official state issued motorcycle license without going through the DMV, you are out of luck in all 50 states. All licenses in the US are issued through the state.

Some of the guys that live out west of me correct me if I am wrong but, motorcycle license or not, it is still considered a driver's license. You have to get your picture taken at the DMV no matter what state you are in.

Spyder Garage

The last I knew Ohio has M/C only licenses, All kinds M license and one for only three wheel units. I would say check OHIO BMV to sure and what the requirement are.
    Good Luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Best classes in the Washington, D.C. area: http://www.apexcycleeducation.com/. Pricey, but first-rate, I've taken both their three-wheel and two-wheel BRCs, both offer DMV waivers for Virginia (both riding and written tests) and D.C. (riding test only).

FYSA, as of a few years ago, Virginia now has a three-tiered licensing system: an M2 for two-wheels, and M3 for three-wheels, and an M that allows you to ride both.

I was fortunate that when I got my license five years ago at an Apex 3-wheel Basic Riders Course course, we only had the single M license, i.e. I took the test on a Spyder but I legally could ride 2-wheels as well.

Now, I knew that regardless of what my license said, I *couldn't* really ride 2-wheels very well, which is why I later took the 2-wheel BRC at Apex. Again, while legally my original M license grandfathered me into riding anything, I still took the 2-wheel riding test and written test for fun (it's a LOT less stressful when you know you already have your license!).

Anyway, it's a bit of a shame that they split it out into three licenses-- while a Spyder is definitely a unique vehicle, if you know how to ride two-wheels, riding three isn't difficult once you get a hang of direct steering versus counter steering (the challenge, of course, is going from three wheels to *two*, like I did-- I *definitely* needed the class for the latter). If it were up to me, we'd just have one universal M license that let you ride both and one M3 for trikes/hacks only, but alas, the lawyers got their way, and now you have to get both licenses separately to earn a universal M license.

But *I* gots my universal M license, ain't nobody taking that away from me!
    Last edited by daveinva; 06-19-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

They charge an arm and a leg for those courses. I asked why the trike course costs $200 more than the regular motorcycle course, and she said it's due to the smaller class size having to share the cost of the training facility. My Sara is going to get her endorsement on the Spyder, and I have just been taking her out to the empty high school parking lot and emulating the simple Arizona testing routines.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSpyder View Post
    Arizona does, specifically Sierra Vista and Tucson. I'm sure there may be other cities that I don't know about. Cindy