Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Short ride uncovered issues?

Wife and I went on a short ride last night about 45 or so miles. I noticed that my right hand started to numb as if falling asleep, it was quite uncomfortable. If I dropped my arm down for a few seconds it went away for a bit. My butt started to burn as well, numbness not heat. I found myself moving around alot in the seat. My wife said she had a great ride, very comfortable. I have the comfort seat and standard handlebars with the grip puppies. Any ideas/recommendations on how to either move forward, handlebar positioning or better seat? (2014 RT)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chasmyer View Post
    Wife and I went on a short ride last night about 45 or so miles. I noticed that my right hand started to numb as if falling asleep, it was quite uncomfortable. If I dropped my arm down for a few seconds it went away for a bit. My butt started to burn as well, numbness not heat. I found myself moving around alot in the seat. My wife said she had a great ride, very comfortable. I have the comfort seat and standard handlebars with the grip puppies. Any ideas/recommendations on how to either move forward, handlebar positioning or better seat? (2014 RT)
    How many miles do you have on your Spyder?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say if the problem persists you need to talk to a neurologist. You may have some nerves being pinched because of reasons not necessarily related to handlebar and seat configuration.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've got 989 miles on my RT. I only get the numbness issue when riding the RT thats why I think maybe I'm stretched out too much or possibly set back too far.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You might like the TriAxis handlebars, you can bring the bars closer to you.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

i have the same problem with my right arm, only time i use cruise control. mine is from a bulging disk in my neck
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to say this ...
    Sometimes; it's not the bike...
    Have this checked out by your physician.
    My hands go numb also...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-11-2015 at 07:25 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

OMG I hope you don't have to trade this in for a Harley. My hand goes numb but takes just a few seconds to shake it off.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take your wallet out of your back pocket.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My hand always got numb on Harleys.But my 2014RT with grip puppies and Tri-axis bars no/nothing not a issue.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Try relaxing your grip on the bars a little.

Spyder Garage

Do not disregard the OP comments about checking with your doctor, particularly if you've made a lot of trips around the sun.

You have the comfort seat. Did you get it for mandatory additional leg room? If not try sliding forward a couple of inches or, better yet reinstall the stock seat and see how things work.

I agree with Ann about the Tri-Axis bars, like mine very much, but try less expensive alternatives first. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had that problem until I got the tri-axis handlebars. But you should check with your doctor.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I agree with the person who mentioned the wallet in the back pocket, in regards to your butt burning. Since it's your right hand going numb, and that is the side with the throttle, it could be the position of your wrist in combination with a too tight grip. I also agree with seeing your doctor, if the wallet or too tight grip, and wrist position don't apply.

Based on what I've seen with patients in physical therapy, this is one of those times that I don't believe it's necessary to start with your doctor. However, when someone comes on here and complains about their spine (neck and back), that's when I say go to your doctor and don't try the spyderlover cures first. JMO
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-11-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Numb

I had right hand numbness till I got a carpal tunnel operation. Never any numbness now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    My hand always got numb on Harleys.But my 2014RT with grip puppies and Tri-axis bars no/nothing not a issue.
    I'v heard that with Harley's, everything goes numb!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default numbness

I agree, probably not the bike although getting your handlebars closer to you may help the problem. Also using your cruise control so you can change the position of your right arm will help. The next time it happens try bending your neck forward or to the left and see if it resolves the numbness. If so probably a nerve irritation in your neck.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab

Spyder Garage

All that I had to do to get comfortable.

Comfort seat
    AirHawk R seat pad
    Tri-axis handlebars
    NVB pegs
    Block off plate

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default I have a similar issue with my hands.

Mine is caused by fracturing C5 & C6 and tearing 2 disks in my neck 11 yrs ago. If I hold my arms up in any stationary position I have that problem. Also have the problem if my arm is moving and I am gripping too tightly (like when raking the yard). Surgeon told me it was due to compressed nerves in my neck. His solution was to change my grip up occassionally, or like you have been doing, drop the arm for a short bit.

The relaxing your grip, sitting closer, or the handle bar suggestions might change your position enough to minimize or eliminate the symptom.

-Steve.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the numbness issues.

I do note a bit of vibration in the bars on my 2014 compared to either the 2010 or 2011. It has not been a big problem to me, I change the position of my right hand a lot, do use the cruise on longer highway rides, and do not grip the throttle very tight.

I caught a 2 minute or so piece on Dr. Oz. the other day that made a bit of sense. People tilting their heads forward--as in texting-- put additional load on their spines as in 60# or so compared to 8# with the head in the upright position. Some who have back issues will then end up with numbness, etc.

A repositioning (as in TriAxis bars) may help you with a more upright position. Dr. first--TriAxis second or later.

I do hope you can get the issue solved.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I find that for my woman's hand the clutch (mine is a Standard 6) that I get a sore hand, and also it goes numb sometimes. I wish the clutch was more soft, I have tried changing the number, but I still do not have a good sweet spot. I haven't bought anything to change my setup yet, and probably will when I know more about my Spyder. I have a 2014 too, is yours the Semi-automatic or the Standard?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine is a semi-auto SE6. Thanks everyone, some really great ideas. I especially like the wallet idea and think that it will help putting it in my jacket or vest pocket. I like the Tri-axis handlebar idea but damn those things ain't cheap, wow. And to have them installed probably will be the same cost as the bar, lol. But if I can't find someone selling a set I may just have to suck it up and buy them,,,,,Thanks for all the great replies!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Is there a seat that moves you closer to the handlebars?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    I find that for my woman's hand the clutch (mine is a Standard 6) that I get a sore hand, and also it goes numb sometimes.
    These folks offer custom levers... It might be worth a look!
    http://www.pazzoracing.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I'v heard that with Harley's, everything goes numb!
    What is it with all this Harley Bashing?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick