Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2009 RS exhaust and efi controller

Hello!
    This is my first post on here. My wife and I bought a pair of RS Spyders two months ago. I am starting to upgrade some things on mine which is an '09. I already installed a K&N air filter, I have upgraded a bunch of the lighting to LED, but now I am waiting for delivery of my new exhaust and efi controller. I ordered HMF for both as I got a great deal on them for under 380 for the set. The exhaust install looks simple from what I have seen, but I haven't found anything on the efi controller. What is involved in installing it and programming one? I know the altitude and temp that was used in it's base map is off from where I live. It is set for 900ft elev and 60 deg F. I am at 4300 ft and average temps are more like 80 here. Any input greatly appreciated as I can't wait to get it all in as soon as it arrives!
    Thank you, Jason

Spyder Garage

I got everything installed. Exhaust took 15 minutes. Love the sound. Everybody says my Spyder now sounds like a motorcycle! It turns a lot of heads in a really good way now. No codes thrown without the controller. EFI controller took a couple hours. It is the standard Gen 3 Dobeck box. Getting to those injectors is a real pain. Bike didn't pop with codes without the controller, but runs much smoother with it. The power curve is so smooth now. Bike is definitely quicker and shed about 15 pounds at least. Very happy with purchase.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by torquehound View Post
    I got everything installed. Exhaust took 15 minutes. Love the sound. Everybody says my Spyder now sounds like a motorcycle! It turns a lot of heads in a really good way now. No codes thrown without the controller. EFI controller took a couple hours. It is the standard Gen 3 Dobeck box. Getting to those injectors is a real pain. Bike didn't pop with codes without the controller, but runs much smoother with it. The power curve is so smooth now. Bike is definitely quicker and shed about 15 pounds at least. Very happy with purchase.
    Glad you are enjoying your new setup. I have a similar setup and would like to know if you have any stalling when riding out in the heat of the day.
    Also, have you selected another map on the EFI controller or are you running the default settings?
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I had my RS-S I had basically the same set up.I did a hi flow air filter,Two Brothers exhaust and a Juice box fuel controller.Ran great for years.Never had any codes or issues

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Default setup

I've got a K&N filter sitting inside the stock airbox with an HMF Optimizer and slip-on exhaust installed. Normally, I ride October thru April and have not had any issues at all. But, just a few days ago, I wanted to take the bike out for a run around town. Temperature that day was 92 I think, and my display showed 125 degrees while at a stop light. When the light turned green, I gave it just a little gas to get going and it stalled. No codes were displayed. It did start right up and I took off with no problems, however, it did stall two more times when going in reverse from a full stop. I put it in reverse and just started to give it gas when it stalled. I am wondering if this stalling is related to high ambient air temperatures. Have either of you tried different settings on the EFI controller? By the way, I called HMF and spoke to someone there about different EFI settings and he sounded like he didn't know much about the it. He kept giving me vague answers so I figured I would ask here.

Spyder Garage

I haven't stalled really, but I normally punch on the green light ha ha. I will say here in AZ when it is around 100 when I first start it, it has a little hesitation or sputter. I have attributed it to pressure in the gas tank. I am running stock programming on controller. I plan on turning down the level a bit on the acceleration setting. I smell a little gas when I stop quickly after accel. Other than that I think it is great. I believe it is overall quicker and smoother with the improved ability to breathe in and out. I think the controller only aids it. My wife has the same exhaust but no controller and she has no issues either. Definitely turns heads in a very good way. I can't go anywhere without someone asking me questions and loving it.

Spyder Garage

I have been rolling around the Tucson area and never bothered with anything other than filter and exhaust, I low octane in the Spyder and high octane in the Buell(also Rotax)
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default What's the latest?

I haven't stalled really, but I normally punch on the green light ha ha. I will say here in AZ when it is around 100 when I first start it, it has a little hesitation or sputter. I have attributed it to pressure in the gas tank. I am running stock programming on controller. I plan on turning down the level a bit on the acceleration setting. I smell a little gas when I stop quickly after accel. Other than that I think it is great. I believe it is overall quicker and smoother with the improved ability to breathe in and out. I think the controller only aids it. My wife has the same exhaust but no controller and she has no issues either. Definitely turns heads in a very good way. I can't go anywhere without someone asking me questions and loving it.

Was curious as to how things are going with your setup. Have you made any adjustments to the optimizer?
    It seems that my spyder has a bit of a delay when you twist the throttle open. Do you think my optimizer needs to be adjusted from the stock program?

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

I have the HMF exhaust on my farkle list but hadn't thought about an efi controller or juice box. Can the exhaust be put on the Spyder without the controller?

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default EFI

I have read in a number of posts that people are running this exhaust without the EFI Controller. It does void the exhaust warranty but I don't care about that. Most posts state that they disconnect the battery while installing the exhaust to clear the computer. After the exhaust is installed they re-connect battery, let it idle for 15 - 20 minutes and they have had success, no popping or backfiring and good performance.
    Also, some people have stated that they installed the OEM air filter instead of the high flow K/N filter, this reduces airflow. I have the KN so I picked up an OEM for 20.00 on ebay just in case.
    I will let you know how the trike does without the controller. I should have it on Monday. Thanks for your responses.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

I have a JT air system with a K&N filter, iridium plugs and high tension wires ran a Hindle exhaust for a while and now have a yoshimura R77 baffle in pipe. Never used any fuel controler. Computer resets each time you shut down and pull the key for 30/45 minutes. It's mapping is pretty good but know many will go with the controlers and additional o2 sensors. I have found the more I mess with the electronics on these machines the less happy they are... may just be me...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Probably yes

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    I have the HMF exhaust on my farkle list but hadn't thought about an efi controller or juice box. Can the exhaust be put on the Spyder without the controller?
    Most people don't need a controller when just changing the exhaust. If you do a free flowing intake,along with the exhaust , you most likely WILL need one.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default update

I put in a call to HMF and spoke to Mike in tech support, told him about the symptoms the bike was having. He suggested that I move the EFI to a position that allowed me to monitor the lights (while driving) so that I can see at what mode the EFI is in during the hesitation. Mike also suggested I might need to change Mode 1 from just one green light to three or four green lights. He explained that this change would add more fuel going into the engine while the throttle was within the first 1/4 of its travel. He also said that you can make changes like this for the other modes as well. Each mode is for a different region of travel for the throttle. I'll see what performance changes happen, if any.

Spyder Garage

I believe I need to adjust my Green zone level down because of my altitude at 4800 ft. It runs a little rich in acceleration zone. I have never had any codes thrown that I was aware of, but I had my bike in shop and it was showing almost 300 errors with the O2 sensor. Bike runs great but whatever signal it feeds back to ECM, BUDS was confused by.
    Current: 2016 F3T Pure Magnesium
    Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Spyder Garage

Default 'nuther update

I believe I need to adjust my Green zone level down because of my altitude at 4800 ft. It runs a little rich in acceleration zone. I have never had any codes thrown that I was aware of, but I had my bike in shop and it was showing almost 300 errors with the O2 sensor. Bike runs great but whatever signal it feeds back to ECM, BUDS was confused by.

After adjusting the green zone so that the second and third leds are lit, there was a marked improvement...no more hesitation on acceleration! I think I could probably lower the setting to having only the second led lit and still be very happy. I am running a K&N air filter in the stock airbox, HMF Optimizer with the second and third green leds lit in the green zone, HMF slip-on exhaust with the Honda exhaust o-rings, iridium plugs, and BajaRon plug wires.

What's the latest with yours?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    After adjusting the green zone so that the second and third leds are lit, there was a marked improvement...no more hesitation on acceleration! [emoji106] I think I could probably lower the setting to having only the second led lit and still be very happy. I am running a K&N air filter in the stock airbox, HMF Optimizer with the second and third green leds lit in the green zone, HMF slip-on exhaust with the Honda exhaust o-rings, iridium plugs, and BajaRon plug wires.

What's the latest with yours?
    I will have to try it!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Spyder Garage

I will have to try it!

Mine has been in the shop for a week. Coolant tank cracked. Waiting for parts from Canada.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock muffler

My wife bought a 2009, it has an aftermarket exhaust that is really loud. We would like to replace it with a stock muffler. Does anyone here have a nice stock muffler to sell?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piper87c View Post
    My wife bought a 2009, it has an aftermarket exhaust that is really loud. We would like to replace it with a stock muffler. Does anyone here have a nice stock muffler to sell?
    I have two

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piper87c View Post
    what exhaust is on it now, possible trade.

Spyder Garage

Mine has been in the shop for a week. Coolant tank cracked. Waiting for parts from Canada.

Just wondering what the latest was with your Spyder. Is it out of the shop? Did you make any changes to the fuel map?

Spyder Garage

Just wondering what the latest was with your Spyder. Is it out of the shop? Did you make any changes to the fuel map?
    Out of shop. They had to replace coolant overflow box and hoses. The error code issues I had were from the LED taillights I put in. Error free doesn't mean error free on these. Haven't played with MAP yet or replaced the taillights for that matter either ha ha. I will tomorrow though. My wife's is in the shop now for an oil leak but I get a demo on an F3 for the weekend courtesy of them for it taking so long for parts to come down from Canada! I am happy with that trade off. She rides my bike and I ride what could be its replacement. Going on a breakfast run to Tombstone AZ with it.

Spyder Garage

Out of shop. They had to replace coolant overflow box and hoses. The error code issues I had were from the LED taillights I put in. Error free doesn't mean error free on these. Haven't played with MAP yet or replaced the taillights for that matter either ha ha. I will tomorrow though. My wife's is in the shop now for an oil leak but I get a demo on an F3 for the weekend courtesy of them for it taking so long for parts to come down from Canada! I am happy with that trade off. She rides my bike and I ride what could be its replacement. Going on a breakfast run to Tombstone AZ with it.
    Enjoy! I have to work...

Spyder Garage

Enjoy! I have to work...
    I haven't had a day off in three weeks. I am due lol.

Spyder Garage

I am in love with the F3. It is so smooth. Feet forward instead of back is awesome. It corners beautifully. Acceleration is eerily smooth. Only negative is the small trunk.