Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2009 RS exhaust and efi controller

Hello!
    This is my first post on here. My wife and I bought a pair of RS Spyders two months ago. I am starting to upgrade some things on mine which is an '09. I already installed a K&N air filter, I have upgraded a bunch of the lighting to LED, but now I am waiting for delivery of my new exhaust and efi controller. I ordered HMF for both as I got a great deal on them for under 380 for the set. The exhaust install looks simple from what I have seen, but I haven't found anything on the efi controller. What is involved in installing it and programming one? I know the altitude and temp that was used in it's base map is off from where I live. It is set for 900ft elev and 60 deg F. I am at 4300 ft and average temps are more like 80 here. Any input greatly appreciated as I can't wait to get it all in as soon as it arrives!
    Thank you, Jason

Spyder Garage

I got everything installed. Exhaust took 15 minutes. Love the sound. Everybody says my Spyder now sounds like a motorcycle! It turns a lot of heads in a really good way now. No codes thrown without the controller. EFI controller took a couple hours. It is the standard Gen 3 Dobeck box. Getting to those injectors is a real pain. Bike didn't pop with codes without the controller, but runs much smoother with it. The power curve is so smooth now. Bike is definitely quicker and shed about 15 pounds at least. Very happy with purchase.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by torquehound View Post
    I got everything installed. Exhaust took 15 minutes. Love the sound. Everybody says my Spyder now sounds like a motorcycle! It turns a lot of heads in a really good way now. No codes thrown without the controller. EFI controller took a couple hours. It is the standard Gen 3 Dobeck box. Getting to those injectors is a real pain. Bike didn't pop with codes without the controller, but runs much smoother with it. The power curve is so smooth now. Bike is definitely quicker and shed about 15 pounds at least. Very happy with purchase.
    Glad you are enjoying your new setup. I have a similar setup and would like to know if you have any stalling when riding out in the heat of the day.
    Also, have you selected another map on the EFI controller or are you running the default settings?
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I had my RS-S I had basically the same set up.I did a hi flow air filter,Two Brothers exhaust and a Juice box fuel controller.Ran great for years.Never had any codes or issues

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Default setup

I've got a K&N filter sitting inside the stock airbox with an HMF Optimizer and slip-on exhaust installed. Normally, I ride October thru April and have not had any issues at all. But, just a few days ago, I wanted to take the bike out for a run around town. Temperature that day was 92 I think, and my display showed 125 degrees while at a stop light. When the light turned green, I gave it just a little gas to get going and it stalled. No codes were displayed. It did start right up and I took off with no problems, however, it did stall two more times when going in reverse from a full stop. I put it in reverse and just started to give it gas when it stalled. I am wondering if this stalling is related to high ambient air temperatures. Have either of you tried different settings on the EFI controller? By the way, I called HMF and spoke to someone there about different EFI settings and he sounded like he didn't know much about the it. He kept giving me vague answers so I figured I would ask here.

Spyder Garage

I haven't stalled really, but I normally punch on the green light ha ha. I will say here in AZ when it is around 100 when I first start it, it has a little hesitation or sputter. I have attributed it to pressure in the gas tank. I am running stock programming on controller. I plan on turning down the level a bit on the acceleration setting. I smell a little gas when I stop quickly after accel. Other than that I think it is great. I believe it is overall quicker and smoother with the improved ability to breathe in and out. I think the controller only aids it. My wife has the same exhaust but no controller and she has no issues either. Definitely turns heads in a very good way. I can't go anywhere without someone asking me questions and loving it.

Spyder Garage

I am in love with the F3. It is so smooth. Feet forward instead of back is awesome. It corners beautifully. Acceleration is eerily smooth. Only negative is the small trunk.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Current: 2016 F3T Pure Magnesium
    Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Spyder Garage

Default Yup.

I am in love with the F3. It is so smooth. Feet forward instead of back is awesome. It corners beautifully. Acceleration is eerily smooth. Only negative is the small trunk.

I had the opportunity to test drive one last year at Lone Star Rally. I agree with your assessment on the F3.

Spyder Garage

I still need to play with mine. Isn't it at 3.5 by default?

Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Spyder Garage

I still need to play with mine. Isn't it at 3.5 by default?

Mine was factory set to 1 for the green zone.

Spyder Garage

Default MPG update

Ok, so I've been riding with the updated setting for the green zone, and my mpg is right at 28 mpg. Performance is less than what it was with led's 2 and 3 lit, but the trade off is slightly better mpg.
    Did I buy the Spyder for fuel economy or driving excitement? Excitement of course! So, I will be going back to led's 2 and 3 lit. Might even try bumping up mid range an led or two.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    Ok, so I've been riding with the updated setting for the green zone, and my mpg is right at 28 mpg. Performance is less than what it was with led's 2 and 3 lit, but the trade off is slightly better mpg.
    Did I buy the Spyder for fuel economy or driving excitement? Excitement of course! So, I will be going back to led's 2 and 3 lit. Might even try bumping up mid range an led or two.
    I still haven't taken the time to mess with mine. I know it is set at 2.5. I smell a little extra gas when engine is cold and I am starting from a light. Normally goes away after everything is warm.

Spyder Garage

12-23-2015, 10:24 AM
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.