Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ready to cry...Spyder fire

Riding home from work today (all highway) I pulled into my drive and noticed a thin white smoke all around me. I jumped of my 2013 RT-L just in time to see some fluid streaming from around my right foot. Just then said fluid ignited as it hit the exhaust. It really does sound worst then it was because the flame when right out after a few seconds. i'm sure it did some damage under the skin and scared the poo out of my son. Yep, go figure scheduled for the recall this week just waiting on the parts.

Any ideas of what the fluid is? kinda oily, yellow in color and was not hot to the touch off the drive. Brake fluid maybe?

I've called my dealer Competition Accessories (Tug and Steve are awesome) They are coming to get the Spyder in the morning with no charge. Im just trying to get a head start in finding out whats wrong with the her.....
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least it wasn't as bad as it MIGHT have been...
    Glad that you and your Son weren't hurt!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good to hear your ok... my guess is brake fluid.

JT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very concerned; Please let let us know what this is, we don't need anymore issues like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

JT

Spyder Garage

Post Thank you!

Thank you! yes everyone OK. All but the Spyder. I too am thinking brake fluid! One of the two reservoirs under the seat looks to be empty (closet to the front). Do you think it was because of the heat issues? or just dumb luck?

I will admit it was kind of funny watching my 17 year jump out of his skin because of the fire.... REALLY it wasn't that bad.. just upsetting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    Very concerned; Please let let us know what this is, we don't need anymore issues like this.

Jetmech, didn't i just read a post that you had the recall done? Any chance for some pis? Looks like mine will be one of the first to be done in my area and hoping for a good outcome.

I will for sure keep everyone up to date on the issue.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did did you the the safety recall on the brake master cylinder done?

Quote Originally Posted by mclaw44 View Post
    Riding home from work today (all highway) I pulled into my drive and noticed a thin white smoke all around me. I jumped of my 2013 RT-L just in time to see some fluid streaming from around my right foot. Just then said fluid ignited as it hit the exhaust. It really does sound worst then it was because the flame when right out after a few seconds. i'm sure it did some damage under the skin and scared the poo out of my son. Yep, go figure scheduled for the recall this week just waiting on the parts.

Any ideas of what the fluid is? kinda oily, yellow in color and was not hot to the touch off the drive. Brake fluid maybe?

I've called my dealer Competition Accessories (Tug and Steve are awesome) They are coming to get the Spyder in the morning with no charge. Im just trying to get a head start in finding out whats wrong with the her.....

Spyder Garage

Default Master cylinder recall

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    Did did you the the safety recall on the brake master cylinder done?

MMMMMM! I will have to ask! I have had every recall I have gotten a notice. To be honest I do not remember a master cylinder recall. Here again with my memory that doesn't mean much.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

did you have the original fix where they added a heat shield around the brake resivoir..?? This was where it would melt down and leak onto the pipes. If it was never done this could be what happened..was it hot (temp outside)..?? Was it a long ryde maybe in traffic..?? oily yellowish would be brake fluid....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

JT
    I'm just going by what I put in my truck but isn't break fluid redish on color. Could it be antifreeze..yellow green in color and radiator near right foot on 2013.. would be cool after squirting under pressure and landing on driveway

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    I'm just going by what I put in my truck but isn't break fluid redish on color. Could it be antifreeze..yellow green in color and radiator near right foot on 2013.. would be cool after squirting under pressure and landing on driveway
    Also I think break fluid would smoke black not white. Fire would not go out quickly. Have had radiator hose leak fixed twice on right side.

Spyder Garage

If "Tug and Steve" are that awesome at Competition Accessories, then why not ask them? I would think that they, having access to your spyder, would have a far better "vantage point of saying what it is.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Brake Fluid. A not so uncommon issue on un-fixed 2013's. Or, if the fix was not done correctly it can still happen. Fortunately, it is such a small amount of not all that volatile fluid so the damage and risk for big fire is unlikely. But you'll not be able to ride it until that gets fixed.

Good thing it happened at home. Probably best case scenario for this one.

This is easily fixed.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-09-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Cool yellowish could be anti freeze. Saying that it caught fire but went right out would indicate anti freeze. Especially if its base is propylene glycol which has to be heated before it becomes flammable thus the short duration of the 'fire'. Indicating that the brake cylinder under the seat is is low or empty would indicate brake fluid. Let's see what the dealer finds.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Thank you all! I will keep you all up to date. I did call the dealer and made sure all the recalls were done as I thought, and they are all up to date. The only one is the newest heat issue recall scheduled for this week.

My ride was about 30 miles, with a temp of around 75-80.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There was a recall on the brake tandem master cylinder for the 2013 RT"s in the summer of 2014 to add a metal heat shield and heat reflective material to protect this part from excessive heat. I believe one of the RT fires was due to the part melting and catching fire. When I bought my 2013 RTs in June 2014 this recall was not done and I had to tell dealer to do it. Some dealers do not make sure the recall are done before they sell the bikes, which is sad. This tandem master cylinder is under the lower cowling by the right foot rest/peg and next the the engine header pipe. Sorry I don't have pictures of the air scoop and other mods done to reduce the heat, but there are several photos of the new air scoops on this website. Make sure your dealer clears all recalls when they check you bike out. There is one for a steering linkage, the one for the tandem master cylinder, and the heat related recall to add air scoops, new evap canister, and rework the fuel system, and an ECM update. I am sure other website users have more knowledge about the Spyder than I do, as I am relatively new to the Spyder.

MMMMMM! I will have to ask! I have had every recall I have gotten a notice. To be honest I do not remember a master cylinder recall. Here again with my memory that doesn't mean much.

Spyder Garage

Thankfully, you and your son were not hurt.

I read the current recall procedure, but didn't see any reference to any further changes to the brake master cylinder. My recall has not been performed yet (scheduled next Monday) so I can't look at mine. If the OP did have the earlier master cylinder recall performed, I think we all should be interested in knowing what happened in this instance. Hopefully, it has nothing to do with the master cylinder. Please let us know what they find.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Thankfully, you and your son were not hurt.

I read the current recall procedure, but didn't see any reference to any further changes to the brake master cylinder. My recall has not been performed yet (scheduled next Monday) so I can't look at mine. If the OP did have the earlier master cylinder recall performed, I think we all should be interested in knowing what happened in this instance. Hopefully, it has nothing to do with the master cylinder. Please let us know what they find.
    Please keep us posted as I too believe it is brake fluid. We especially want to know if the previous recall was done which included wrapping the MC and putting a heat shield between it and the exhaust. The latest recall did nothing to the Master Cylinder but introduce much more air into the engine bay. If you had the last recall done make sure you report it to NHTSA in fact you should report it anyway IMHO.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A report to NHTSA is probably a good idea...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wow!! Glad no one was injured. Please keep us posted.
    2013 RT SE5
    Bajaron sway bar
    Bajaron heim links
    laser alignment from dealer
    Inspector Gadget floor boards
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Grip Puppies
    HEAT RECALL COMPLETED

Spyder Garage

Thank you all! I will keep you all up to date. I did call the dealer and made sure all the recalls were done as I thought, and they are all up to date. The only one is the newest heat issue recall scheduled for this week.

My ride was about 30 miles, with a temp of around 75-80.
    Hmm no inspection required of the Brake MC during the current recall. It should be done and re wrapped IMHO. I hope BRP is reading this. I hope the OP gets a look at what happened and see if the insulation failed. Imagine what would happen if you are driving down the road.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah keep us posted on this. The last thing you want to think about when going down the road is your bike might catch fire! Fire big or small should not be an issue imo.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that and glad you and the bike are ok. It certainly had to be a 2013.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have you received any feedback from your dealer on the cause of the leak/fire?
    We are all concerned about this, especially if the tandem master cylinder recall was previously accomplished.

Spyder Garage

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL