Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gas mileage

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT Limited and I get an averaged of 35 to 39 mpg with a average of 5 gal per fill up (around 180 to 200 miles per tank). Do not want to run too low in gas (don't like to walk ). Driving normal and hot like an speed demon will give you a better gas milages and driving 65-70 mph on highway is better than 70-85 mph.
    Last edited by John Moody; 06-09-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: adding type of spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    keep an eye on who is posting what mileage. The new 1330 ACE engines get much better mileage and have a different tank capasity. Most RT owners (998 twin) have disconnected the fuel and temp guages because they aren't that good. When you do this the fuel and temp appear on the panel digitized. They replace the dash guages with outlets or other guages (voltmeters, ampmeters, oil pressure etc). The best way to know is to run out of gas but also know the tank does not hold 6.6 gallons. There is air space and the most I have gotten ,without running out of gas, was 5.4 gals. Also remember the different model 998 twins get different mileages. Mine is an RS
    VERY wise advice for the OP, who stated he had a 2011 RTS. There are folks in this thread talking about their mileage on 2014 RT's, and those are a completely different animal when it comes to fuel mileage.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most I ever put into my tank is 6.45 gallons. That is of course assuming the meter on the pump was accurate!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How To Get The Best Mileage?

1. Keep your bike in tip-top shape.
    2. Make SURE that your tires are properly inflated.
    3. Present the best possible aerodynamic profile that you can...
    Keep the windshield at a low position
    Don't add stuff to the bike that sticks out into the airflow
    Get the adjustable lower air deflectors, and run with them in the center position
    Don't add a hitch to your bike
    4. Carry the least amount of cargo in the bike as possible; excess weight KILLS fuel mileage
    5. Your right wrist...
    Shift early
    Roll the throttle on gently, and accelerate NO faster than is absolutely necessary
    Cruise at a slower speed... With my 2010, I found that there was a 6 mpg difference between 62, and 72
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't understand the "run out of gas" concept to see how far you can go.

Given that you won't know where you will be when that happens . . . could be in traffic, when a semitrailer is bearing down on you from behind . . . it seems to be a less than safe thing to do. Knowing how far you can go by running out of gas only shows how far you could go on that particular tank . . . ryding at highway speeds with strong winds, and cruising down Skyline Drive at 35 MPH on a beautiful day can effect gas mileage by as much as 10 or more MPG on my 2013 RT LTD.

On my ride to Tucson, and back, there were times I refueled when I could only add two gallons to the tank, because, according to my Garmin, the next gas station was 100 miles away . . .

Use your Trip A and Trip B functions, and calculate your MPG when you fill up if you need to know your MPG . . . but remember, it will change, based on how you are ryding . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by bensallen View Post
    I know the Spyders aren't known for great gas mileage and I just got mine today so a couple of "Newby" questions, so be kind please. LOL I read that the tank holds 6.6 gallons. When I picked mine up it was near the red on the gauge. It would only hold about 4.7 gallons before the pump shut off. I rode quite a bit after that and the gauge got back down to the "red" and I filled up again and, again, it only took about 4.5-4.7 gallons to fill up. I had ridden only about 120 miles. Questions,,, is that normal to only take that little to fill up? Is there that much left in reserve? I feel like my mileage sucks but then again my trike only has 2200 miles on it (2011 RT-S) so it might not be completely broken in. I hope that when I get used to the proper shift timing my mileage will improve. What are you guys and gals getting?
    I have just under 2000 on my 2014, semiautomatic & am getting about 32 mpg. That's mostly mountain riding, so I feel that's pretty good. When fueling don't put the nozzle in very far & you can put more in than the automatic shut off allows.

Spyder Garage

I have a station close to home
    Pushed the limit as far as i dared last week

Was sble to actually put 5.4 gallons in

Normally its 4.6 etc

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Milage

brought my first Spyder a week ago three rides have taken my about 250 miles, kinda short but waiting on mods as i'm handicapped. My 2012 Spyder RTS with 998 is averaging 26.7 mpg with mixed city / highway miles.

Spyder Garage

Since this thread was picked back up... i seem to only get about 150 miles on my 15 RT. I am hoping it improves as i only have around 850 miles on it so far. Also the tires were fairly low so hoping the increased pressure helps to get me to 200.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger1759 View Post
    So what is your trick get to get the most MPG?
    Always shift @ what RPM?
    Avoid speed's over what MPH?
    Any other thoughts?
    I know that RPM, shift points etc... depend on motor size and transmission variable's.
    For the Record:
    9746.6 miles
    248.067 gallons
    39.3 mpg overall average.

Best:206.6 miles 4.762 gallons: 43.4 mpg
    Worst:163.9 miles 4.628 gallons: 35.4 mpg

I run with the windshield JUST off of it's lowest possible positioning, and I usually keep my adjustable air deflectors (BRP's) in the center position, so as to reduce aerodynamic drag.
    I shift at no more than 2,500 rpm when getting into 4th, 5th, and 6th.
    I usually set a pace of 53 mph on two-lane roads, and 63 mph out on the four-lanes...
    I also run 93 octane fuel, and I set the tire pressures at 20 psi up front, and 25 psi in the rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    1. Keep your bike in tip-top shape.
    2. Make SURE that your tires are properly inflated.
    3. Present the best possible aerodynamic profile that you can...
    Keep the windshield at a low position
    Don't add stuff to the bike that sticks out into the airflow
    Get the adjustable lower air deflectors, and run with them in the center position
    Don't add a hitch to your bike
    4. Carry the least amount of cargo in the bike as possible; excess weight KILLS fuel mileage
    5. Your right wrist...
    Shift early
    Roll the throttle on gently, and accelerate NO faster than is absolutely necessary
    Cruise at a slower speed... With my 2010, I found that there was a 6 mpg difference between 62, and 72
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    For the Record:
    9746.6 miles
    248.067 gallons
    39.3 mpg overall average.

Best:206.6 miles 4.762 gallons: 43.4 mpg
    Worst:163.9 miles 4.628 gallons: 35.4 mpg

I run with the windshield JUST off of it's lowest possible positioning, and I usually keep my adjustable air deflectors (BRP's) in the center position, so as to reduce aerodynamic drag.
    I shift at no more than 2,500 rpm when getting into 4th, 5th, and 6th.
    I usually set a pace of 53 mph on two-lane roads, and 63 mph out on the four-lanes...
    I also run 93 octane fuel, and I set the tire pressures at 20 psi up front, and 25 psi in the rear.
    To get the best gas mileage, I make sure to plan my trips so I am always going downhill with the wind to my back.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS MILEAGE FOR 1330

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    Since this thread was picked back up... i seem to only get about 150 miles on my 15 RT. I am hoping it improves as i only have around 850 miles on it so far. Also the tires were fairly low so hoping the increased pressure helps to get me to 200.
    #1., at around 2,500 mi. it will begin to improve........#2. "fairly low" & "increased pressure" are useless terms...........#3. "only get about 150 mi. on my RT" ????.....I think you mean before you REFILL IT ???.... This is not telling you How many MPG's you are getting............See Hayfield's post above on how it's done................None of what I just said was meant as any sort of SLAM..............Mike

Spyder Garage

Short answer: The gas mileage stated by the OP falls into the typical range for the model and year of his RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    #1., at around 2,500 mi. it will begin to improve........#2. "fairly low" & "increased pressure" are useless terms...........#3. "only get about 150 mi. on my RT" ????.....I think you mean before you REFILL IT ???.... This is not telling you How many MPG's you are getting............See Hayfield's post above on how it's done................None of what I just said was meant as any sort of SLAM..............Mike
    i hear you Mike, #2 was about 15-16 in the front and about 23 in the rear, increased to 20 in the front and 28 in the rear. #3 no i mean 150 miles before all the bars are gone and i start getting worried about finding a station before it goes belly up. I cant remember exactly what i put in it but it was around 5+ gallons, i know it was the most i have ever been able to put in it since i got it having never run it down to zero bars before. And thats me running with the stupid ECO mode on pretty much all the time. I try to shift around 3-3500, i know it wants you to shift a little earlier but i dont like it that low.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    To get the best gas mileage, I make sure to plan my trips so I am always going downhill with the wind to my back.
    It couldn't hurt...

Spyder Garage

http://www.pure-gas.org
    Im no expert but ive found Ethanol free will get you better mileage Rpm range 4k-7500. Seems to be sweet range on the 998's

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

After reading everything it seems to me that every fuel gauge is different. On my 2013 RTL the fuel gauge was horrible. When it indicated that I was just about empty I still had a half a tank of gas. When I got my 2015 the gauge seems to be pretty accurate. Of course I am not getting anywhere near the millage the manual says i should get, but it is a lot better than the 2013. I go by approximate millage from my last fill up as well as my gauge for fill ups. I have less that 1K miles on my 2015 so I expect a lot better millage as the season goes on.

Spyder Garage

I tanked up today and rode 180.3 miles to empty. I set my cc at 72mph.
    At 134 miles: 2bars and low fuel light
    At 154 miles: Zero bars, low fuel light
    At 180 miles: engine s/d, flipped kill switch and coast to shoulder.
    I was carrying 1.5gal in a 2gal can in my left saddle bag.
    I simply wanted to eliminate the anxiety of low fuel light and confirm bike range at hwy speed.

Keep 3 Down..!!!

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2012RTS, I ran it to the point where it died on me. I managed to 70km when the light came on. I also worked out that I can get 35km per bar. I disconnected the old fuel and temp gauges and replaced them with a voltage and oil pressure gauge. I also use 98 octane.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OCTANE

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn B View Post
    I've got a 2012RTS, I ran it to the point where it died on me. I managed to 70km when the light came on. I also worked out that I can get 35km per bar. I disconnected the old fuel and temp gauges and replaced them with a voltage and oil pressure gauge. I also use 98 octane.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Well that's 11 points more than it needs .....but it will run on that...............IMHO using any gas gauge to determine how far you can travel on the amount you THINK is in the tank is foolish......Especially where you live if you are in the " outback "..........good luck......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    That sure beats walking uphill in four feet of snow, in a blizzard at 10 below zero, to and from school back in the 50's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red