Spyder Garage

Default Stripped T-40 and T-45 oil drain plugs

I was attempting to do the 1st oil change on my 2014 RT and ended up stripping both the T-40 and T-45 oil drain plugs. I don't know what they used to secure the plugs but now there is a nice round hole where the T's fittings were. The plugs would not loosen. Anybody have an idea as to how I now remove the plugs, other than taking it to the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

The one is an Allen the other a torx. Try beating them in with a hammer. Normally, just the first mm Is ruined. Get it in( use a metric Allen socket) with a hammer, and replace with a dimple drain plug. Horrible design!
    If you can't remove, use a chisel first, then an easy out. Replace plug. Call me if you get stuck. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    The one is an Allen the other a torx. Try beating them in with a hammer. Normally, just the first mm Is ruined. Get it in( use a metric Allen socket) with a hammer, and replace with a dimple drain plug. Horrible design!
    If you can't remove, use a chisel first, then an easy out. Replace plug. Call me if you get stuck. Joe
    Joe, thanks so much. The service manual say's they are both T's, that would explain my problem. I guess you can't believe everything you read.

Spyder Garage

if your really not a shade tree mechanic i would think your best bet would be to have a shop do it for you. it will most likely need to be heated to get it out. the one thing i have found out about the bikes is, they don't use the best of bolts to put it together. i have stripped a few bolts so far. good luck
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Drain Plugs

Depending on how quickly you need to change the oil and if you don't have replacement plugs, I would order magnetic hex plugs that allow you to use a socket wrench. several companies carry them. I ordered mine from goldplugs.com.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pre-order your replacement plugs...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thread sizes

What are the thread sizes so I can get them pre-ordered?
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LJspydee View Post
    What are the thread sizes so I can get them pre-ordered?
    http://goldplug.com/#plugfinder
    Use 2014 RT for selection
    Last edited by Magdave; 06-09-2015 at 08:23 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Varies...

most common are the M12x1.5 and the M14x1.5 The oil on the threads tends to crystalize like varnish (the original loctite) and the best way to get them out is to beat on them to break up the seal. Next steps are like Joe said. Try beating in a socket drive allen or torx that way you break the seal and have a good shot at getting them out. But as mentioned have some replacements on hand.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

First, I have no financial interest in Dimple Products Incorporated, and second, I have no axe to grind with Gold Plug LLC. That said, the Gold Plug LLC 14 mm magnetic drain plug, MP-02, listed in their plug finder as the one for the Rotax 1330 engine is NOT the same as the BRP OEM M14 x 1.5 engine drain plug or the Dimple engine drain plug. The only thing all three plugs have in common is size, 14 mm. If one attempted to use the Gold Plug MP-02 plug I doubt it is long enough to fully engage the threads in the oil sump. The Gold plug does not accommodate the O-rings required for the OEM and Dimple plugs. Try it at your own risk. Dimple can charge what they do for the pair of plugs because to the best I can determine they have the corner on the market, for now. JMO.
    Last edited by JayBros; 06-09-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a link and/or part numbers available for the Dimple products?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Just changed out a friend's plugs yesterday to dimple. Here is the link to their website. http://magneticdrainplugs.co/canamspyder.php

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    (How is Joe's Bike? )

Spyder Garage

There have been numerous threads here over the years about these drain plugs with people announcing theirs are Torx or theirs are allen. I've come to the conclusion that it could be any combination of the two depending on what was in the parts bin that day during engine assembly.

Your best bet is to replace them with either the Goldplugs (what I did) or the Dimple and not stress over it. If you later take the bike to the dealer for an oil change they may complain about the change and make noises about voiding warrantees. IANAL but they would have to prove that the drain plug change actually caused whatever warranty issue you're claiming.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    First, I have no financial interest in Dimple Products Incorporated, and second, I have no axe to grind with Gold Plug LLC. That said, the Gold Plug LLC 14 mm magnetic drain plug, MP-02, listed in their plug finder as the one for the Rotax 1330 engine is NOT the same as the BRP OEM M14 x 1.5 engine drain plug or the Dimple engine drain plug. The only thing all three plugs have in common is size, 14 mm. If one attempted to use the Gold Plug MP-02 plug I doubt it is long enough to fully engage the threads in the oil sump. The Gold plug does not accommodate the O-rings required for the OEM and Dimple plugs. Try it at your own risk. Dimple can charge what they do for the pair of plugs because to the best I can determine they have the corner on the market, for now. JMO.
    I finally I got both plugs removed with a lot of brute force. Using a combination of heat and taking Joe's advice, hammering in a 6mm hex into the T-40 did the trick. You are correct, the Gold Plug is too shallow to catch the engine drain thread. The BRP plug is about 2 inches with a couple of O-Rings. I just ordered a set from Dimple.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Your best bet is to replace them with either the Goldplugs (what I did) or the Dimple and not stress over it. If you later take the bike to the dealer for an oil change they may complain about the change and make noises about voiding warrantees. IANAL but they would have to prove that the drain plug change actually caused whatever warranty issue you're claiming.
    With all due respect I have to disagree.
    My dealer was ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED that I changed to the hex head dimple plugs.
    They were pleased as punch, and then ordered a set for their own bike.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    With all due respect I have to disagree.
    My dealer was ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED that I changed to the hex head dimple plugs.
    They were pleased as punch, and then ordered a set for their own bike.
    Then count yourself as a very lucky person with an awesome dealer.

Who's your dealer? Might be worth a trip up to CT for me if I do need something.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited