Spyder Garage

Default Sena SMH10 question

I got a set of the SMH10s and installed them. Like them, but I have found that my volume doesn't go very high/high enough to hear music or intercom at any speed.

As suggested other places, I messed with the location of the speakers. And adding padding behind them to get them closer to the ear. I switched the clip on unit and can not say that moved the problem.

Any suggestions? I know "call Dave". Maybe tomorrow.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

My phone being the helpful thing it is and was limiting my volume... wasn't that nice. While using the Blue Tooth I increased the volume on the phone until it warned me that too much might harm some fly somewhere and I told it to go for broke. Now have all the volume I need and never have to turn the SM10H all the way up even when a harley is next to me.

JT

Spyder Garage

I wear earplugs and have the cat delete and have a TwoBrothers exhaust and I usually do not have the SMH10's turned up quite all the way. My phone does the same thing at times it limits the volume to half way. I turn it up and control with the Sena.

By the way the SENA's are a little "tinty" sounding to me, the ear plugs help elimate that.
    Last edited by 900Dave; 06-07-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The phone volume could be a massive issue at the same time id make sure it wasnt a defect with the unit itself because once it was installed I've rarely has issues with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No problem on my SMH-10's with volume. Did you do the firmware updates?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have a Note 3 and the volume is all of the way up. I'm thinking that one of the units is defective, I hope not, don't want to mess with sending them back.

I did do the latest firmware upgrade.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Have the same issue, just can't hear above 35 mph. Don't have my phone involved with the units, so no clue. Half a dozen emails to tech support, with no resolution.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I have a Note 3 and the volume is all of the way up. I'm thinking that one of the units is defective, I hope not, don't want to mess with sending them back.

I did do the latest firmware upgrade.
    After the latest firmware upgrade did you a factory reset of the unit? I'm not sure about the SMH10 but on the 20S you have to do the factory reset or it will act real squirreley.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    After the latest firmware upgrade did you a factory reset of the unit? I'm not sure about the SMH10 but on the 20S you have to do the factory reset or it will act real squirreley.
    I think that I did, but why not do it again. I was able to share music from my phone to the passenger, which is what the new firmware was to enable.

I went to the process again and did the factory reset, no change in performance.
    Last edited by pitzerwm; 06-07-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

FYI on the helmet speakers.
    It makes a BIG difference making sure those are as close to your ears as possible.
    They give you foam pads to make them stick out of the holes in the helmet more. On my helmet I had to double them up.
    Also make sure your ear canal is centered on the speakers. Not everyone head and ears are in the same place.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sena SMH-A0303

It may be too late since you already purchased the smh10. But I purchased the SMH-A0303 w/ the earbud option. I use my iphone earbuds and have no problems hearing when I get up to about 80-90 at times on the interstate.

You can pick up the Sena SMH-A0303 Helmet Clamp Kit for Earbuds for around $32 on amazon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyda98 View Post
    It may be too late since you already purchased the smh10. But I purchased the SMH-A0303 w/ the earbud option. I use my iphone earbuds and have no problems hearing when I get up to about 80-90 at times on the interstate.

You can pick up the Sena SMH-A0303 Helmet Clamp Kit for Earbuds for around $32 on amazon.
    I did the same thing. I couldn't get the speakers at the right position inside my helmet, so I opted for the A0303 earbuds. Then I had problems with my earbuds sometimes popping out of my ears while riding. Not an easy thing to adjust with a full helmet.

So I wound up getting a pair of Decibullz DIY custom molded ear buds and LOVE them. They are a great quality sound and stay in my ear without any pain or wear fatigue. Loved them so much, I got a second pair just in case!
    Last edited by dsvogel; 06-13-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    FYI on the helmet speakers.
    It makes a BIG difference making sure those are as close to your ears as possible.
    They give you foam pads to make them stick out of the holes in the helmet more. On my helmet I had to double them up.
    Also make sure your ear canal is centered on the speakers. Not everyone head and ears are in the same place.

Bob
    I did work on that, Bob.

Spyder Garage

Default SMH10

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I did work on that, Bob.
    I have the Bell helmet that has a built-in spot that the Sena fits into. So much better this way.
    Sue & Mike
    RTS-SE6 Limited (Congac)
    Hot Springs Village, Ar.

Billet Spyder license plate, grip buddies, Shortee antenna, XM Radio, air deflectors, cb radio, sheepskin seat cover.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Have the same issue, just can't hear above 35 mph. Don't have my phone involved with the units, so no clue. Half a dozen emails to tech support, with no resolution. [emoji379]
    I did call Dave and he said that I needed to CALL Sena support. Apparently email isn't the way to go. I called Sena and they are sending me a RMA I think.

Spyder Garage

I have had great luck with email. However, it takes a day or two for them to answer at first. After that they are very responsive till the ticket is done. Good luck.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have you physically verified your phone is allowing you turn the volume all the way up when it's connected to the Sena and you have your current music playing? I know on my Note 4, it will stop the volume about 3/4 the way up until I click OK on the screen on the warning about hearing damage, and then it will raise it up all the way.

You already said you moved the speakers, but that really is a crucial part.

With the helmet in the house and the speakers out of the helmet, can you hold your speaker up to your ear with the volume maxed out on both the phone and the Sena? If you can and not feel like it's hurting your ears, then you do have an issue.
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
    Mine: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 09 DL650, 08 WR250R
    Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L
    Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

With the helmet in the house and the speakers out of the helmet, can you hold your speaker up to your ear with the volume maxed out on both the phone and the Sena? If you can and not feel like it's hurting your ears, then you do have an issue.
    +100!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black