Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nevada in late June

I will need to get from northeast Utah to southern Oregon in late June (on my way North to Alaska). The shortest route is across Utah and northern Nevada. I'm wondering how hot will it be there. If I have time I'd rather go north to Idaho then west. But I'm considering adding Nevada, instead, to my ryde map.

Any info, please?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Nevada

Well if you want some great mountain passes, Lake Tahoe, a bit of gambling ( to pay your Nevada taxes) -----then ease your way through Reno on your way to Oregon ( state flower----moss/mold).
    Shouldnt be too hot but if you don't like the Nevada weather--wait 5 minutes.

Going to Idaho could cause:::

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Consider some HYPERKEWL...

Seth O introduced me to this gear...works reallllly well in heat. (I have to keep my core temp down or I will overheat easily). I have 2 vests, 2 do rags, 2 neck coolers. And when it gets above 95' I start wearing them...just like my heated gear for cold...this is a must have for me this time of year... And as a side note: 99 degrees today and tomorrow here in sunny Chelan!!!!
    Last edited by murphybrown; 06-07-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just checking accuweather for a couple towns Ely and Elko it looks like 70's and 80's.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

should not be too bad. Staying on the high side but like Murphybrown...I use heat away under and neck cooler for if it does get nasty hot.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Well if you want some great mountain passes, Lake Tahoe, a bit of gambling ( to pay your Nevada taxes) -----then ease your way through Reno on your way to Oregon ( state flower----moss/mold).
    Shouldnt be too hot but if you don't like the Nevada weather--wait 5 minutes.

Going to Idaho could cause:::

Kaos
    Hey ! Our state Flower is the Oregon Grape ! and over half of Oregon is High Desert and Mountains. Not Rain Forest. Crater Lake is a must see . We don't all have web feet , some of us only have partial web toes !
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Seth O introduced me to this gear...works reallllly well in heat. (I have to keep my core temp down or I will overheat easily). I have 2 vests, 2 do rags, 2 neck coolers. And when it gets above 95' I start wearing them...just like my heated gear for cold...this is a must have for me this time of year... And as a side note: 99 degrees today and tomorrow here in sunny Chelan!!!!
    Do you have a link, please?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default no on the link..

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Do you have a link, please?
    I just do a google search and look for "best deal"....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti, are you going through Boise? We've done that so many times that this year we are going to go up through Utah to Pocatello, ID and in from the east but we have to be in Spokane before we go to Chelan so that route makes sense for us.

It could be really hot so get yourself a cool vest like Karyl mentioned. They work great here in the dry heat. Wear it under a jacket or it will dry out too quickly.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ordered a vest from Revzilla. (While sitting in church during boring sermon.). Hoping it will arrive in time.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ordered a vest from Revzilla. (While sitting in church during boring sermon.). Hoping it will arrive in time.
    That sounds risky.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That sounds risky.
    Not paying attention in church? Or ordering?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not paying attention in church? Or ordering?
    I think you know the answer to that.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Patti,

I don't know if you've been through Salt Lake City, but that area has many great roads and you could spend a week just touring within 100 miles of the city. We're going to head up that way from Phoenix, then across to Boise.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti, are you going through Boise? We've done that so many times that this year we are going to go up through Utah to Pocatello, ID and in from the east but we have to be in Spokane before we go to Chelan so that route makes sense for us.

It could be really hot so get yourself a cool vest like Karyl mentioned. They work great here in the dry heat. Wear it under a jacket or it will dry out too quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    Patti,

I don't know if you've been through Salt Lake City, but that area has many great roads and you could spend a week just touring within 100 miles of the city. We're going to head up that way from Phoenix, then across to Boise.
    I was going to go through Boise, but I decided to go to Klamath Falls, Oregon, and spend a couple days at Crater Lake; then go up to Mt. Rainier before getting to Chelan.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All that area can be hot in the summer. The Mountain Home desert south of Boise can easily get to 100+ in late June, so be prepared for heat whichever way you travel. Check your route carefully. There is a dearth of east-west routes in Nevada and distances between gas stations can be long, particularly on state roads. You may be best to take the boring route on I-80 to Reno and then go north. Or, a better route IMO is to travel I-70 into Utah then move over to US 50 to cross Nevada. Less north-south travel that way than if you come to SLC area.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You're going up I-15 to Missoula and then across on US 12 to Lewiston and up, or are you going over on I-90? Ever been that way? Either route you are in for one beautiful trip.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    You're going up I-15 to Missoula and then across on US 12 to Lewiston and up, or are you going over on I-90? Ever been that way? Either route you are in for one beautiful trip.
    No, US 40 across northern Colo, on to SLC, I-80 to Winnemucca, NV, 140 to Klamath Falls, OR. My only fuel concern is from north of Winnemucca to Klamath Falls. If necessary I'll stay on I-80 and go through Reno, then north through Cali.

Of course, it could all change, once I'm on the road.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default reply to SpyderAnn

No, US 40 across northern Colo, on to SLC, I-80 to Winnemucca, NV, 140 to Klamath Falls, OR. My only fuel concern is from north of Winnemucca to Klamath Falls. If necessary I'll stay on I-80 and go through Reno, then north through Cali.

Of course, it could all change, once I'm on the road.
    Patti...waswinger was responding to Ann's post...they are traveling thru Montana and yes MT is absolutely beautiful...I never ever get tired of ryding Montana....You will find the Crater Lake NP absolutely breathtaking...
    My Motto Is:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Patti...waswinger was responding to Ann's post...they are traveling thru Montana and yes MT is absolutely beautiful...I never ever get tired of ryding Montana....You will find the Crater Lake NP absolutely breathtaking...
    Minor slip. Wrong quote, right answer!

Patti, I missed seeing 140 on the map. Take a look at it on Google Street View. It's about 180 miles from Winnemucca to Adel, OR, most all desert! Google doesn't show any real gas stations in between! But it still should be a very interesting ride! West of Adel is really pretty. As long as you're aware of what your traveling through, and prepared, you'll do OK. Would I do it? Maybe, but I'd more likely travel it in spring or fall, not mid-summer.

Did you say you have a Spot Tracker? If so that stretch of road will be a good place to have it available. Traffic will probably be pretty sparse so if you have an emergency you could be in a real hurting situation. I had a Spot but I lost it somewhere in OK. Took it out of the trunk to put it in the mount, laid it on the psgr seat, and forgot about it. Not sure I'll buy another one. Most places I would want to ride a Spyder have enough traffic I don't fear ending up helpless for long.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

that sounds like something only i would do!!

Spyder Garage

Patti, be sure to turn onto US 40 off of I-70 at Lawson. You'll love the switchbacks between I-70 and Winter Park. I traveled US 40 two years ago on my 'wing. Really a great ride! But I didn't get to see the switchbacks, really. It was foggy!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    that sounds like something only i would do!!

Let's hope the vest arrives in one piece and is not defective in any way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Depending on your time frame, Elko Nv has Elko Motorcycle Jamboree over fathers day weekend. Usually 3000 to 5000 bikes. Its a great time, live music and friendly people. Good riding as well. I would recommend I-80 from Salt Lake City Utah through Elko, Winnemucca on into Reno. The weather is scheduled to be mid 80s. Hope that helps.....

Spyder Garage

Default Coolvest is 70 deg for 3 hours using only 2 & another 3 hours for other 2 packets

I will need to get from northeast Utah to southern Oregon in late June (on my way North to Alaska). The shortest route is across Utah and northern Nevada. I'm wondering how hot will it be there. If I have time I'd rather go north to Idaho then west. But I'm considering adding Nevada, instead, to my ryde map.

Any info, please?
    Hi Patti,
    Probably too late a reply, as I think you already ordered the Evap vest.
    But I have used Coolvest for several years in Arizona 100-115 deg summer days.
    It works great keeping me cool. I have the Sport vest for the extra support strap.
    I use just 2 packets in front & lasts for 3 hours, packets core temp 70 deg.
    I then use the other 2 packets in front for another 3 hours.
    I have 4 spare packets, so can keep cool all day riding F3S SE6 Spyder!!
    Read the info about it on website.
    The Military has used Coolvest for years in Iraq & Afganistan; even their Dogs.
    http://store.coolvest.com/

Thank you for such a nice reply about my F3S TOURING Spyder.
    Rode to Springfield, Mo/bought from Len at Pitbull April 8th 2015.
    Sounds like a great ride to Alaska!!!
    Enjoy.
    Jim