Spyder Garage

Default Question about DPS and Limp Mode Home

I have a 2012 RT. I had my first issue at 2000 miles. Turned out it was just a computer glitch. No codes thrown. No problems until 20,000 miles. Another computer glitch. At 22,000 miles, several codes popped up, alerting me of a couple of bad sensors, which were replaced under warranty. Since then, over the past 1,500 miles, I have had numerous DPS failures. No codes thrown, but it did cause me to have to pull over to have the system reset.

My question is -- Is this common? I mean, I understand computer glitches. Nothing major wrong, but it seems like every time I go on a ryde, this happens. I'm not upset, just a little frustrated from having to interrupt my ryde to pull over for 5 minutes.

How often does this happen to other ryders?
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sjcpanther View Post
    I have a 2012 RT. I had my first issue at 2000 miles. Turned out it was just a computer glitch. No codes thrown. No problems until 20,000 miles. Another computer glitch. At 22,000 miles, several codes popped up, alerting me of a couple of bad sensors, which were replaced under warranty. Since then, over the past 1,500 miles, I have had numerous DPS failures. No codes thrown, but it did cause me to have to pull over to have the system reset.

My question is -- Is this common? I mean, I understand computer glitches. Nothing major wrong, but it seems like every time I go on a ryde, this happens. I'm not upset, just a little frustrated from having to interrupt my ryde to pull over for 5 minutes.

Are you still running the original battery? The DPS soaks up electricity... More than anything else on a Spyder. An underperforming battery can cause DPS problems.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I am still running the original battery. Dealer tested it recently and said it still has plenty of juice.
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Lamonster Spyder Decals

Spyder Garage

It will never go into Limp Home Mode without a code. Now if you mean that no code shows when you do a mode+set+signal cancel, that is quite normal that only shows active code faults and if it fault is gone, it won't display that way. You need to bring it into the dealer to plug it into BUDS and read the codes that have occurred. The problem is not showing a fault or if the fault can cause damage or safety system causing a Limp Home Mode condition. That is the warning there is something wrong that needs to fixed. Another point is there will be warning lights that come on at the same time. It is important to see which lights are on and if they are flashing or not. With that info looking in the service manual can tell you a lot about the fault without a code in particular which system is involved.

I have put on 43,000 over 2 Spyder and never had a Limp Home Mode. I did have few faults show up on my 09 because of shifting problems.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I am still running the original battery. Dealer tested it recently and said it still has plenty of juice.
    I assume he load tested the battery. Did he share the report with you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I did take it to the dealer right after 2 of the faults. They said no codes showed up. Just an apparent glitch.
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Lamonster Spyder Decals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I assume he load tested the battery. Did he share the report with you.
    No, he did not. And shame on me for not asking that question.

I think I may have the battery replaced at my next service appointment. It has been over 3 years.
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Lamonster Spyder Decals

Spyder Garage

No, he did not. And shame on me for not asking that question.

I think I may have the battery replaced at my next service appointment. It has been over 3 years.
    Normally when a load test is done at half of battery rated cranking amps for 15 seconds it is commonly assumed if the voltage is over 10V is is OK. Now if it only marginally passes say less than 10.5V get a new one. If it's higher than that changing won't fix anything but will not cause any harm either.

2018 F3 LIMITED