Spyder Garage

Default need wiring help on 622 trailer

Yep! I've looked through the post on the RT threads for adapting the wiring of a 2010 trailer to a '14 or '15 RTS. I bought the module and wiring harness kit and installed it. Not too bad once the Tupperware was out of the way. Just a plug and play kit. So now I am trying to get the trailer wiring to match. Here is the problem. I propped up the front of the trailer and unplugged the connector where the harness that runs through the tongue of the trailer and plugs in underneath. Here in lye's the problem. the wiring colors change at that point. I made a mistake by taking the Pins loose from the plug (the plug underneath the trailer, not the other one). Anyone have a wiring diagram of the trailer? This thing has way too many wires.
    So now I have 4 wires and square plug coming from the spyder and the trailer has a bunch of wires that have no color code as to what they do.
    I appreciate any help or input.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Can you identify the ground wire for the trailer? If yes attach it to ground on a 12volt battery. Now touch one at a time to the positive terminal of the battery. Note which light lights for that wire. Repeat the process until you have identified what light each wire lights.

If you don't know which wire is ground use a meter set on resistance and check each wire to ground on the trailer. The lowest reading is ground (0.0 ohms or close to it). Higher reading is the resistance of the bulb.
    Last edited by Doc - Riverside; 06-05-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    Can you identify the ground wire for the trailer? If yes attach it to ground on a 12volt battery. Now touch one at a time to the positive terminal of the battery. Note which light lights for that wire. Repeat the process until you have identified what light each wire lights.

If you don't know which wire is ground use a meter set on resistance and check each wire to ground on the trailer. The lowest reading is ground (0.0 ohms or close to it). Higher reading is the resistance of the bulb.
    Will do. Good advise. I know about 3 of those trailer wires will not be used again so I will sort out what works the signals and brakes and tape off the other ones.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...wiring-harness

2010 wiring colors start roughly on post 7 in that thread.

Good luck!
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Grounding concern

Thanks for the replies. I got my meter and checked the wiring. Did determine the 4 wires to use. trailer lights are now working with the Spyder. Should another ground be installed on the trailer? I have heard where static can cause a problem. If an extra ground is needed where would it tie into? I know one end would tie to a bolt on the trailer frame but how about the other end?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

The four wires in the square plug should be ground, left turn and brake, right turn and brake, and taillights. If you already know which wires go where on the trailer, it will just be a matter of getting them to the right pins in the square plug. The taillights, side markers and license light all go together, and the other two are the turn/brake lights. Hope this helps.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The four wires in the square plug should be ground, left turn and brake, right turn and brake, and taillights. If you already know which wires go where on the trailer, it will just be a matter of getting them to the right pins in the square plug. The taillights, side markers and license light all go together, and the other two are the turn/brake lights. Hope this helps.

john
    Thanks John. I assume that no other frame ground in needed on the trailer.?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Thanks John. I assume that no other frame ground in needed on the trailer.?
    I haven't needed one on my '12.

john