Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Opinions on yokohama s drive please.

I am most interested in your opinions of its performance in wet weather conditions.

We ride 2 up 90% of the time, and even though the Kenda wore quickly for sure, I will say I was impressed with its performance in general, but especially in the rain, even with minimal tread present.

Thank you.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    I am most interested in your opinions of its performance in wet weather conditions.

We ride 2 up 90% of the time, and even though the Kenda wore quickly for sure, I will say I was impressed with its performance in general, but especially in the rain, even with minimal tread present.

Thank you.
    I have the S drive and rode in the rain for 400 miles and the Spyder performed great, no wheel spin at all. If this tire will last at least 25000 miles I will be buying it again.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Still happy with Kenda (old compound) I got great mileage on my 2012 second one doing great. But have noticed a trend towards the yokahama. The kuhomo has been reported to hydroplane some and many stores won't sell them for spyders. Those using the yokahama seem to be happy with the performance but haven't seen mileage reports.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for your opinion,

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    I have the S drive and rode in the rain for 400 miles and the Spyder performed great, no wheel spin at all. If this tire will last at least 25000 miles I will be buying it again.
    I appreciate the feedback.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default No Kuhomo for me for sure, I have read too many hydroplane complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Still happy with Kenda (old compound) I got great mileage on my 2012 second one doing great. But have noticed a trend towards the yokahama. The kuhomo has been reported to hydroplane some and many stores won't sell them for spyders. Those using the yokahama seem to be happy with the performance but haven't seen mileage reports.
    I am leaning towards another Kenda, but the S Drive seems to be a quality all around product.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Go for it and let us know what you find. Many mention what they use but not how they perform. ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ACCORDING TO TIRE RACK

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post

Thank you.
    As above their survey / stats show the General Altimax RT-43 beat the YOKO by quite a bit .......But the POPULAR people here love the YOKO so be POPULAR & LOVED .However my Girl friend Dee will pass you in the rain in the Twisties and out stop you also, She has the RT-43....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    As above their survey / stats show the General Altimax RT-43 beat the YOKO by quite a bit .......But the POPULAR people here love the YOKO so be POPULAR & LOVED .However my Girl friend Dee will pass you in the rain in the Twisties and out stop you also, She has the RT-43....................Mike

STOP You almost have me convinced to try the Altimax when my Kumho is worn out. I was almost set on the S Drive. Its all good though I buy on impulse so when the time comes I will have to wait and see what I choose.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I put the Yokohama on my 2014 this week and I am hoping that it will handle great in the rain. I was torn on whether to go with a Kenda for my trip to Alaska but decided to give the Yoko a go. I put so many miles on my Spyder that I'd be changing Kendas out every other month. I'm hoping that the Yokohama will last long.

The tread pattern on it is very similar to that on the Kenda and the Arachnid.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default ACCORDING TO TIRE RACK

SORRY HIT THE WRONG KEY
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-05-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

As above their survey / stats show the General Altimax RT-43 beat the YOKO by quite a bit .......But the POPULAR people here love the YOKO so be POPULAR & LOVED
    Well, Mike, your theory doesn't hold up because, believe it or not, YOU are one of the "POPULAR PEOPLE" here.

Could it be that the YOKO just has more favorable comments here than the Altimax? What most people here do, I think, is just read the threads and try to weigh the positive and negative comments about each tire discussed. It's easy to think that perhaps the dealer survey/stats may not entirely apply to us, because tires may perform differently as one of four on an automobile, than they would as the only tire on the back of our Spyders. (For example, I'd bet that with that deep "V" cut, the Kumho AST sheds water pretty well on an automobile, but folks say that it it doesn't grab the wet roads as it should on the Spyder.)
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-05-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Well, Mike, your theory doesn't hold up because, believe it or not, YOU are one of the "POPULAR PEOPLE" here.

Could it be that the YOKO just has more favorable comments here than the Altimax? What most people here do, I think, is just read the threads and try to weigh the positive and negative comments about each tire discussed. It's easy to think that perhaps the dealer survey/stats may not entirely apply to us, because tires may perform differently as one of four on an automobile, than they would as the only tire on the back of our Spyders. (For example, I'd bet that with that deep "V" cut, the Kumho AST sheds water pretty well on an automobile, but folks say that it it doesn't grab the wet roads as it should on the Spyder.)
    i think you hit the nail on the head.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have just installed my 3rd Yokohama S drive on the rear of my '08. I also have them on front. I didn't switch to them for longevity but rather performance, wet and dry. They are a soft compound that sticks to the road well. That being said they may not last as long as some others but I'm not a long distance rider most of the time. Better handling and safer especially on wet roads. I buy two for the front and two for the back as I usually wear the rear at twice the rate as the front. I don't roast my rear tire for fun but I do like to keep good tread under me and my precious cargo, my wife. I have never hydroplaned on my Yokohama like I have with the Kendra. I haven't looked at the Altimax Rt-43 but I will check it out. Ride safe and have fun out there. Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Mike, I was unable to find on Tire Rack where they tested the Yokohama S Drive against the General rt43. The two tires have been tested, however each was in a different test compared against other tires.

I find it difficult to believe that a firmer compound touring tire will outperform a summer rated ultra performance tire.

The General rt43 in the size you recommend has a rating of 600 on treadwear, an A rating for traction in the wet (stopping) and a B temp rating.

The Yokohama S Drive in 205/55R15 rates as 300 on treadwear, gets a AA rating for traction and for temp and A rating.

I may be wrong, but unless compared side by side I just find it tough to see a touring tire out running a performance tire.

PK

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

when my present tire goes south... I plan to buy either a Yokohama S Drive or General Altimax ..will not consider a "2 ply Crapenda" for my ride..

osm

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE TESTING ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mike, I was unable to find on Tire Rack where they tested the Yokohama S Drive against the General rt43. The two tires have been tested, however each was in a different test compared against other tires.

I find it difficult to believe that a firmer compound touring tire will outperform a summer rated ultra performance tire.

The General rt43 in the size you recommend has a rating of 600 on treadwear, an A rating for traction in the wet (stopping) and a B temp rating.

The Yokohama S Drive in 205/55R15 rates as 300 on treadwear, gets a AA rating for traction and for temp and A rating.

I may be wrong, but unless compared side by side I just find it tough to see a touring tire out running a performance tire.

PK
    Paul, Tire Rack doesn't do testing like the way Car & Driver does --Vette vs Jag vs Porsche etc.----nor do they test Tires against each other based on traction " A " vs " AA " vs " B " etc..........and the testing is not all from the same vehicle, on the same road, in the same weather conditions etc......it's not like " DYNO " results......But I will tell you this, I just found a sticker ( from a tire purchase ) in my garage. It was from a GENERAL ALTIMAX RT .......and I remember this was the tire I had on my RSS that I drag raced at Spyderfest 2013 ( at a real 1/4 mile track ) and won 1st place in class, plus in the shoot-off I think I ended up 3rd overall.......So I think that TIRE had some TRACTION .....(and it was only the 205/60 version )....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-06-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ??????

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post

...Thankyou rob, ....But I honestly think you are confusing " POPULAR " with " CONTROVERSIAL ".....or worse " INFAMOUS " ........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob,
    If you try to tell Mike that he's popular; it'd just RUIN his day!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Paul, Tire Rack doesn't do testing like the way Car & Driver does --Vette vs Jag vs Porsche etc.----nor do they test Tires against each other based on traction " A " vs " AA " vs " B " etc..........and the testing is not all from the same vehicle, on the same road, in the same weather conditions etc......it's not like " DYNO " results......But I will tell you this, I just found a sticker ( from a tire purchase ) in my garage. It was from a GENERAL ALTIMAX RT .......and I remember this was the tire I had on my RSS that I drag raced at Spyderfest 2013 ( at a real 1/4 mile track ) and won 1st place in class, plus in the shoot-off I think I ended up 3rd overall.......So I think that TIRE had some TRACTION .....(and it was only the 205/60 version )....Mike
    FWIW, the test I read compared 4 tires in each test against each other. All were in the same type if not the same car, over various terrain and the same route for each. Going further, both the S Drive and Altimax rt43 seemed, per the description, to be tested on the same type of vehicle over the same course they use.

If you compare both rating charts, the touring tires score very well, and even exceed the performance tires. This almost would seem to indicate that the standards of the tests differ depending on the tires intended use.

I am sure the girl can ride. Just not sold that the Altimax rt43 is a better performing tire on a Spyder.

In regards to drag racing your machine. It is cool that you were on the top box of the podium. As for tire performance, unless both machines had a huge amount of horsepower, the tires grip should be more than adequate with simply dropping the air pressure. I am going to caption your win as driver skill over machine traction or horsepower.

Our S Drive arrived yesterday. It will be a few weeks before I am ready to make the swap. I have no plans for seriously drag racing a 2up, loaded RTs, it will however be subjected to normal use, both in the dry, unfortunately in the wet, on hot roads during the day and cooler roads at night, with straights and curves. Simply time will tell if my choice was proper.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Rob,
    If you try to tell Mike that he's popular; it'd just RUIN his day!

Actually, I usually PREFER controversial people, so they are "popular" with me. Someone who just agrees with everyone else can be... well.... boring.
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-06-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am interested how the Yokohama holds up and works. I want both a tire that grips and wears well. Time will tell on the Yokohama.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have 2K miles on my Yoko now and no real signs of wear I can tell yet.

Can't help with wet conditions as we are in a bad drought with little rain and thus have not been out in it yet.

But with that said, I really like the tire so far. No grip issues at all.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    I have just installed my 3rd Yokohama S drive on the rear of my '08. I also have them on front. I didn't switch to them for longevity but rather performance, wet and dry. They are a soft compound that sticks to the road well. That being said they may not last as long as some others but I'm not a long distance rider most of the time. Better handling and safer especially on wet roads. I buy two for the front and two for the back as I usually wear the rear at twice the rate as the front. I don't roast my rear tire for fun but I do like to keep good tread under me and my precious cargo, my wife. I have never hydroplaned on my Yokohama like I have with the Kendra. I haven't looked at the Altimax Rt-43 but I will check it out. Ride safe and have fun out there. Dennis
    feedback, I appreciate it.

What size are you using?
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post

I agree! You cant have grippy and long life, the two just don,t go together. I mean you can put a tire on Jimmie Johnson's car that will last the entire race, but he will in no way finish on the lead lap.

The S-Drive as well as the Federal Evo's have a "AA" wet weather traction rating. That is a ultra high performance rating, all the others just an "A" rating. So you can choose grippy or long life. That's your choice.

My Kumho (my current rear tire) is an A rating. I will try the S drive next and the Evo's for the front are already ordered.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm not having a problem with a Michelin Primacy. 11,000 miles and still grips good. Had it in the rain and it was good. Hoping to get 20,000 but only time will tell. Right now it looks like a General Altimax RT43 will be next.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White