Spyder Garage

Default First oil change, metal on clutch cover magnetic plug

2000 miles on so I did the first oil change today. Very easy to do but takes a long time to drain the left (engine) drain. Both plugs are magnetic and only the clutch cover drain had filings. Filter looks good also. I'm going to bring the oil,filter and metal filings to the dealer tomorrow. It may be normal for this motor but who knows. If this was an aircraft chip detector, it would be grounded!!!!! LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It don't look normal to me. It's a good thing you change the oil at 2000 miles.

ToM
    Life is Great
    Be Safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

I don't think what you found is abnormal. There is always some initial wear evidence found by magnetic plugs. Without the magnets you would have simply dumped them out with the waste oil. I did my first oil change on my RT-S, 4,400 or so past dealer 3K service. Good news was there were only two very, very tiny metal slivers on the transmission plug magnet. Leads me to assume that at worst the 3K change got the majority. With luck you'll probably be home free from here on.
    Last edited by JayBros; 06-04-2015 at 07:07 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Likely assembly debris. To make sure do another change in 1k.

Spyder Garage

Default jacking up your spyder

Quote Originally Posted by 1blackbeauty View Post
    2000 miles on so I did the first oil change today. Very easy to do but takes a long time to drain the left (engine) drain. Both plugs are magnetic and only the clutch cover drain had filings. Filter looks good also. I'm going to bring the oil,filter and metal filings to the dealer tomorrow. It may be normal for this motor but who knows. If this was an aircraft chip detector, it would be grounded!!!!! LOL
    could you please tell me where you jacked up the rear on your f3. i couldn't tell by the picture, possibly the frame rail ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arizona spyder View Post
    could you please tell me where you jacked up the rear on your f3. i couldn't tell by the picture, possibly the frame rail ?
    Jack is under the lower fender mount where the tube attaches to the swing arm. I will post a pic tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Drew...
    A little bit of that stuff almost has to be expected...

But that's more than just a little bit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That is quite a bit of stuff. I'd be concerned. Looks to be more than just assembly debris. And you're only catching the ferrous components. Copper, aluminum, stainless, plastic are not going to show up here. So keeping the filter is also a very good idea.

Still, it isn't necessarily a problem. You can pretty much figure if the dealer had done this oil change you'd never know.

I agree with pulling the plugs again at 1k and seeing what you have then.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just did my first F3 oil and filter change at 525 miles. There was a little bit of filings on the magnetic plug, but nothing like what you got. I agree with another poster that it was initial assembly remnants
    and I am not concerned about it. I replaced the drain plug with one that has a much stronger magnet and more surface area to retain any future filings.

For those doing their own F3 oil and filter changes, the brake reservoir can be moved out of the way without tools, it releases from the bracket.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Put 50 miles on today and it shifts better for sure, also a little quieter. Royal Purple Max Cycle 10-40.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1blackbeauty View Post
    Jack is under the lower fender mount where the tube attaches to the swing arm. I will post a pic tomorrow.

Can you post that pic please? Thanks!
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Can you post that pic please? Thanks!
    Sorry, here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images